S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Will you hydrolock with the AEM V2? Yes!

Old 09-23-2005, 06:04 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Will you hydrolock with the AEM V2? Yes!

There seems to be many threads concerning this topic in the past couple of weeks so I thought I would share my near-hydrolocking experiences with everyone so you do not make the same mistakes I have...

January 2004, I ordered my AEM V2. I also plugged the two drain holes in the fender. I do not have the umbrella or intake shield, not that it would have helped, since the drain holes are plugged anyways and all of my incidents occurred while the car was moving, not parked.

August 2004, I drove into very light rain. Then as soon as it started, it stopped a few minutes later. The sun came out and all was right with the world again until I stepped on it. At 4000 RPMs, it was like I hit a brick wall. My S2000 suddenly lost power, the revs went from 4000 to less than 500 RPMs in an instant. It almost shut off. The next day, I removed my AEM V2 intake filter and it was pretty moist. I had some water in the intake tubing. I dried everything up, reinstalled it, took it for a test drive and saw 9000 RPMs with no problems. A month later, I replaced the filter with a new one from K&N.

For the past year, I've been considering different intake options - Mugen, J's Racing or M's. But spending over $1,000 for an intake is hard to swallow, so I decided to stick with AEM. For the past year, I would check the Weather Channel before deciding if it was safe to drive the S2000 today. Any hint of rain, forget it. Being in Miami where it rains almost all summer long, I've barely driven my S2000. I was paying for something that I rarely enjoyed but OK, better safe than sorry.

Sunday, August 7, 2005, the weather was clear, the forecast looked good, its safe! By 8PM, I was at a friend's house celebrating her birthday and it started pouring rain so I left. I didn't and couldn't let the car sit parked in the pouring rain. Driving home in the rain, I avoided the flooded areas. The car sat during the week and on Thursday night I took it out. When the temperature reached 3 bars, I stepped on it. 4000 - 5000 - 5500 - lost power - 500 RPMs. Ah shit not again! Made an U-turn, headed home. Took off the filter and yes it was still moist, even after 4 days. The AEM V2 piping was a little humid on the inside. Everything else looked OK, its idling fine, oil looks good. Upon further inspection, I found water in the intake tubing and lots of it. I removed the lower intake pipe and poured out 1/4 of a cup of water. I replaced the filter with a new K&N. I also took it to the dealer to have them inspect everything, change the oil, check the spark plugs, run a full diagnostic and everything was fine.

When I ordered my AEM V2, I called AEM to ask them about the hydrolock issue. The AEM representative stated that it is not a concern unless you drive through a heavily flooded area and completely submerge the filter. Bullshit. Regular light rain can and has resulted in problems.

The true problem is in the V2's design. The lower pipe where the filter connects is angled upward. Since the filter is exposed through the bumper, water can easily be collected without much effort. When I called AEM about this, their response to me was "Oh well, thats too bad."

The AEM V2 Intake is piece of junk. I regret buying it; I should have purchased a real intake from the start. So if you are considering the AEM V2 or some cold air intake for your S2000, believe me, think about if you want to seriously risk your engine and car first. There are some very good and inexpensive alternatives to AEM, like PRM, K&N FIPK and Comptech. There are much better alternatives but more expensive intakes such as Spoon, Mugen, J's Racing, M's and ASM. Of course you can always stay stock, get a K&N filter and Spoon replica snorkel. Any of these options would work just as good, if not better, then the AEM V2 and will not result in hydrolocking or major engine problems.

I dodged the first and second bullets, but I'm afraid that it could be three strikes and you're out. Come late November, I'm placing my order for a new intake system from Japan.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

crazy... i have driven in extremly heavy rain with my aem v1... never any problems like u
Old 09-23-2005, 06:25 AM

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,864 Posts

We have the AEM V2 on our "S". We had it professionally installed by a local guy who owns an "S" and does great work. A few local New England guys have used the AEM V2 as well without incident.

We have driven the "S" in pouring rain from MA to VT with no problems at all. The next day on our way futher up north, once again the skies opened up. No problem.

While we prefer top down driving with the "S" if it starts to rain we don't rush home.

Just a suggestion, but maybe something was missed on your installation?
Old 09-23-2005, 06:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It seems most of the hydrolocking problems result from the AEM V2 and not the V1. I'm not saying that there aren't and have never been problems with the V1...but the majority of the problems is with the V2.

There is a reason for this. The V2 Piping at the filter is bent up, and it has a low point that would be a wonderful place for water to collect. The V1 on the other hand is not as bad...it comes out more flat to the filter probably not inviting water in like the V2 does. On the V1 the filter is almost as low as the rest of the piping. On the V2 it is certainly considerably higher.

I am just adding this so that people don't get scared of entirely, I know some will. I have the V1 as you can probably tell, and see in my sig. I have driving through torential rains...I was not able to do over 40mph in some rains. I have parked my car in heavy rains (don't have umbrella or holes plugged yet), started it up and gone for a drive while it was still rainging...no problems. I don't think it is only that I am lucky.

Just adding my experiences to the list.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:41 AM
Former Sponsor

I've had the V1 on my car for about a year and I've been through some pretty big rain storms, and even had my car sitting in pouring raing for up to 5 hours with no problems as well. I also didn't plug any holes or have the sheild.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:53 AM

I've been through many rain storms when i had my aem v2. I've even let mine sit parked in the pouring rain without any plugs and i did not have any problems. My suggestion is for you to not gun it and test out whether your car wll hydrolock or not.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by StinkyTofu,Sep 23 2005, 08:53 AM
I've been through many rain storms when i had my aem v2. I've even let mine sit parked in the pouring rain without any plugs and i did not have any problems. My suggestion is for you to not gun it and test out whether your car wll hydrolock or not.
I agree with this...although letting the car sit for 4 days should be WAY MORE then enough time for water to dry...but perhaps in Florida Humidity it is somewhat hard for it to evaporate into already saturated air.

I have to say though, I have had some fun in the rain and brought it all the way up to 9k several times with no ill effects...but again I have a V1 which is IMO not designed as poorly as the V2.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

newsflash: you didn't hydrolock!!

all that happened to you was water went into the intake charge and interfered with the fuel-air ignition, halting power output.

hydrolock is when water gets in there and STOPS THE MOTOR BY FORCE, usually resulting in broken pistons and/or connecting rods.

you may want to get the umbrella if you continue using the intake.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:44 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where did I say that I did hydrolock? I never have hydrolocked... yet. But I've had two incidents where I found water in my intake tubing and hydrolock could have occured. I never drove the car hard in the rain either. I experienced these problems after it rained, with a very moist filter and water in the intake pipe.

The umbrella wouldn't have made any difference as these incidents happened while the car is moving, not parked. The problem is the design of the V2 as I pointed out and someone else has as well. The lower intake pipe angles upward and the filter is partially exposed through the bumper. Water can easily be collected into the pipe from this.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:56 AM

the V2 has a major design flaw for application on our cars. The last bend before the filter creates a downhill slope, so it actually will hold water (similar to drain trap under sinks). If water pools here, it can be sucked up at a later date (4 days later).

Hydrolocking is an inherent risk with any real CAI system (short of the Comptech or the $1000 ones). If you are going to go with one, and live in a humid / rainy area, you should plug the drain hole, make sure the under carriage is tightly secured, and create a bonnet (umbrella) for the intake just to be on the safe side.

I have had my INJEN RS intake installed for a few months, and I love it. I have been through 1 tropical storm (8" of rain in 24 hours), which included parking outside in that weather as well as driving through it. The engine is designed to burn off water droplets sucked in by the intake, but by no means any substantial amount.

If you install such an intake, you should avoid any real puddles....tiny ones are OK, usually (a few inches deep). You just dont want the water reaching the under carriage. It also doesnt help if the brake ducts on an AP1 are cut out, as this provides water with another route in.

The area where the RS intake is positioned, there is no real "opening" to the elements, other than from underneath (and tightly securing the under body will help with that) and the drain from the hood.

If you are hesitant, I would check the area where it will be positioned (AP1 INJEN is almost directly behind the faux passenger break duct). Check it out, and if you think a substantial amount of water can hit the filter, then dont get this type of intake.

I felt comfortable with the application, as I installed some weather stripping to the edges of the under body, and screwed it in really tight, then I plugged the drain hole with some metal tape. The filter gets wet during rain / REALLY humid conditions, but no where near hydrolocking / performance hindering amounts.

You also might want to check the INJEN Prefilters. They are a microfiber bonnet that can be slipped over the filter (like a condom for filters). It is made of a Gore-Tex type material. Seeing as the rainy season is winding down here in FL (60 days let in hurricane season), I am going to wait til spring to get one. I am going to install it every spring, and remove it every winter (in case there are any performance draw backs).

This is just my opinion.

John

Quick Reply: Will you hydrolock with the AEM V2? Yes!