S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Will the dealer void my warranty...

Old 01-28-2006, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Will the dealer void my warranty...

After my recent trip to the dealer, I got the impression that they were very stingy about the mods that will void a warranty. I know, I know - by law, they can't void a warranty unless the aftermarket part caused a failure... but has anyone had experience with the dealer giving them the when they showed up with an exhaust??

This is really my last concern before I get my pipes.... and if anyone is interested in a stock AP2 system with 5000 miles... I don't have room to store it ...

THANKS!!

Old 01-28-2006, 04:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never heard of a dealership actually denying warranty work due to an aftermarket exhaust. CAI - yes, but not just an exhaust.

They all like to talk smack about aftermarket parts, but when it comes down to it they're more flexible.

Who are you going to have install it? It might make sense to ask the dealership to do it. It would be hard for them to say "we told you so" when they got paid to put it on.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:35 AM

By law they cannot void you warranty unless the aftermarket part you installed causes the issue. Even then they cannot void the entire warranty just the part of the car affected by the mod.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:36 AM

Research "The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act ". You'll be fine.

Chris
Old 01-28-2006, 08:11 AM
vbb

Guys remember, that while the law may be on his side (and yes, I'm very familiar with the Magnuson-Moss Act), he still may be setting himself up for a fight with the dealership that may take more time and effort than he's willing to face. If the dealership wants to be a prick, and tell him they aren't going to cover a repair under warranty based on his aftermarket exhaust, then he'll have to fight with the dealership to get them to honor his warranty. Meanwhile, his car still needs whatever repair he went in there for, and it's not like large corporations are known for moving quickly when it comes to legal action.

The short answer is no, the dealership should not give you any trouble for an aftermarket exhaust. But just be aware that just about any mod has the possibility of causing a headache when it comes to warranty work.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:24 PM

Even though you are protected under the law and the dealership would need to prove that your exhaust caused whatever problem, why bother with that dealership in the first place if you know it will result in a fight? I would just go to another dealership if that was the case. I know exactly what you're going through also. I remember when I had my first car, it was a Civic, and when I brought the car in for service they told me that my SRS light was on because I had wired neons in the footwell into my cigarette lighter , I knew it was total BS, but I didn't want to fight with the retards in the service department so I just never went back for service. Since then I have learned to service my own car
Old 01-28-2006, 12:35 PM

It's not like a catback exhaust would be hard to take off and replace with the OE exhaust to make the dealership happy. Before doing that, I'd just tell'm to kiss my arse and go to another dealership for service.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:35 PM

I don't know about Honda but Mitsubishi has been voiding warranty for a cat-back.... I asked and I was told that anything thats make it faster will void the warranty...
Old 01-28-2006, 01:15 PM

^ That must be because a lot of Mitsubishi dealerships are on the verge of going out of business so they are a bit pissed off . Aside from the EVO they have nothing left.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:22 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Also, keep in mind that an EXTENDED warrenty is not covered by the same protection.

If you have a Hondacare exteneded warrenty, they can (and likely will) void your ENTIRE warrenty for any mod at all. So hang on to that stock exhaust. If you ever have a problem, you better put it back on before you go back to the dealership.

Quick Reply: Will the dealer void my warranty...