S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Will blown shocks cause my car to be slightly lower?

Old 11-05-2002, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will blown shocks cause my car to be slightly lower?

It's been bugging me that my left side is approx 1" lower than my right side. And yes I measured using the four jacking points. I took it to a shop while I was getting my seat belts out (a pain the A$$, dont do it if you don't need to and I'm afraid when I put it back I will have a lot of left over screws) Well the mechanic said the only thing he can think of that would cause the left side to be lower is a blown shock? Is this true?
Old 11-05-2002, 05:35 PM

My car's driver's side is the same way. In my case, the other HouStooks seem to think the driver's weight is at fault.

If your shocks are blown, you'll also notice that the car bounces quite a bit on the problematic corner(s). That is because only the springs are working.

I have over 65k miles and will be replacing my suspension with the Buddy Club setup as soon as this Westcoast ports resolve their issues.

Let me know if you find anything.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:50 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Shocks have nothing to do with ride hieght.If you were to take them out, your car will still be off.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is true. Shocks are not theoretically supposed to support any weight of the car. The reaction force of a shock is equal to the damping rate times the velocity of the suspension movement. No suspension velocity, no reaction force.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:29 PM

so is it okay if my car is off a little?
Old 11-18-2002, 06:51 PM

no it's not ok. some causes could be; a sagged spring on the low side, incorrectly installed spring on the high side, a DAMAGED shock (damper rod serverely sticking) but not a blown shock.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:39 PM

Actually, gas pressurized shocks can account for about 1/2" of ride height. IE the gas in the shock has a natural tendency to expand outwards (it's under high pressure) and exerts a force that pushes the car body upwards, extending the spring.

So, yes, a blown shock will cause the car to sit about a 1/2" lower or so than normal.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:50 PM

i beg to differ. he's talking about a whole inch. i see your point, but on a stiff car like the s, an 1/8 at the most. blown shocks are not the problem. don't advise the kid waste his money on parts that won't fix the problem.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:21 AM

I agree witl billman. the shock has a minimal effect on the height. If you notice a difference, it wont be the shock. The shock is only responsible for the rebound of impact. it does the compression, annd allows the wheel to move when hitting a pothole. The spring only controls ride height. Hence when you swap in adjustable coilovers, and not new shocks, the car bounces like a son of a gun. The shock is bouncing like crazy, and the spring is doing no absorption at all. Stock springs do coil a little, but this is only to dampen the blow, and acts as a slave for a bottoming out impact. better the spring compress rather than the whole frame right????
Old 11-19-2002, 12:49 PM

I'm sure you've already done this... But have you checked for the spring spacers used in shipping? There are often times 1 or 2 left on the springs by careless dealers. Has your car exhibited this from day 1?

Quick Reply: Will blown shocks cause my car to be slightly lower?