S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Wild S2000 test drive

Old 10-14-2004, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wild S2000 test drive

I'm on the fence here. 2005 S2000 or 350Z Roadster.

My first S2000 test drive was a lame, go around the block type in a 2004 S2000. I wasn't impressed and needless to say, I left the dealership hoping that the 350Z Roadster would have more to offer.

A week later, I drove the 350Z Roadster. The drive was a spirited one and I was impressed. I left the dealership thinking what a great car. It had good power, decent handling, nice sound system, great looks, fairly roomy inside, nice electronic gadgets, and minimal wind intrusion. Something wasn't right however. Deep inside, I knew I had to investigate the S2000 once again.

Well, late this afternoon I went back to the Honda dealer. This time, the manager and I went for a test drive. It was a 25 mile test drive on a white/tan 2004 with only 10 miles on it. I really didn't want to run the car hard because it was new. But I had to know. I opened the S2000 up twice in VTEC, once down the main street, the other on I-95. Wow! Talk about fun! It was like being in a fighter as we drove through traffic. Sharp responses, great power, outstanding 6 speed, smooth clutch...I was in driver's paradise! The S2000's combination of handling with power is incredible. Although it is a bit cramped in the interior and lacks certain electronics (especially a decent sound system), the fun factor in the S2000 has won me over. It surely bests other convertibles that cost many thousands more. FYI: I've test driven the 350Z Roadster, BMW Z4, BMW 330Ci, Porsche Boxster.

Hence, in 3 short weeks, I'll join your ranks and in a white/tan 2005 S2000 with wing and front body spoiler you'll find me.

Then it will be time to add a decent sound system (at the very least, a 10" sub and amp in the rear) and an aftermarket sensor alarm.

Go S2K!! Just had to share this with those who know the feeling that I felt (you all).
Old 10-14-2004, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good choice. You are so right about the fun factor. I bought my S as a weekend ride, but have been driving it daily.

It really is a FUN car!

Happy motoring.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:11 PM

The S2K has a very distinct flair about it. I was deeply attracted to it when it first came out 5years ago. You should consider getting performance mods for power and handling instead of the sound system.

Welcome!!!
RACER
Old 10-14-2004, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by BocaS2000,Oct 14 2004, 06:59 PM

in 3 short weeks, I'll join your ranks and in a white/tan 2005 S2000 with wing and front body spoiler you'll find me.

Go S2K!!
Good Job! . I just got back from a test drive in a '05 myself. I drove a 'Rio Yellow' and I think I am sold as well (probably not yellow though) . If I end up purchasing, I will also be getting the matching hardtop with it (I think Red is my color of choice). I didn't notice that much of a difference in handling between my '00 (long gone) and the new '05. The clutch, tranny, and low-end torque all appear noticbly better in the '05. I noticed one minor thing that's not a big deal at all, but I definitely noticed: The hard rubber flaps that hang below the front bumper (part of inner fender well) are a seperate piece now......and I'm pretty sure that they were molded as part of the inner fender well in years past. Now, when they get chewed up from an ocassional ground scrape (or two, or three, or....) a person can replace just this small flap . Cosmetically, the new style is 'so sweet', with the new head and tail lamps, and the large oval tailpipes.........and the 17" wheels & bigger tires fill out the wheel well opening so much nicer than the previous years. The factory stereo seems better than the factory one I had in '00 as well. I noticed today, that the Rio Yellow has a deep metallic look to it.........does anybody know if the New Formula Red has any kind of a metallic look to it, or is it 'Just Red'? (I've not seen the red one in person is why I ask). Again, Congrats on your '05 White/Tan . Kevin (Radster)
Old 10-14-2004, 06:55 PM

I was in the same situation as you and feel the exact same way. I was contemplating between a 350Z or an s2000. When I first drove the Z, i thought it had everything I ever wanted in a car - amazing power and handling (compared to my rsx) great instrumentation and a decent room for a sports car. I was pretty much sold on the Z, but I just wanted to feel how much better I liked the Z than the S. As soon as I took the S for a testdrive, I found my self terribly mistaken. The handling on the S seemed to be miles above the Z. What really sold me on the car was that sense of balance the car had when handling. It seemed to have that perfect neutral handling feel and the steering response was lightning quick compared to the Z. There was no heavy feeling at all like i experienced with the Z. Lastly, as far as the engine, i was expecting to feel that the Z was much quicker than the S. Again, I was wrong. The revs seemed to climb just as fast as with the Z and if anything, the higher redline made the car feel even faster than the Z (maybe it's because its a convertible, but it still felt faster)

So to sum it up, IMO, the Z feels like a great sports car, but the S feels like a street legal F1 car.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:56 PM

BTW, congrats on the new car and enjoy!!
Old 10-14-2004, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Radster,Oct 15 2004, 12:45 PM
I noticed one minor thing that's not a big deal at all, but I definitely noticed: The hard rubber flaps that hang below the front bumper (part of inner fender well) are a seperate piece now......and I'm pretty sure that they were molded as part of the inner fender well in years past. Now, when they get chewed up from an ocassional ground scrape (or two, or three, or....) a person can replace just this small flap .
Nope, they always were separate - no change in this regard.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:05 PM

good choice....350Z roadster is barely a sports car
Old 10-14-2004, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by 2kturkey,Oct 14 2004, 08:32 PM
Nope, they always were separate - no change in this regard.
Oops.....my bad . I just looked at these flaps tonight on the '05 (on the front), and saw two bolts/screws holding each one on......and when I looked at my '00 several years ago after I scraped one of them, I don't recall seeing the same setup, because I remember wanting to remove and replace it . Kevin
Old 10-14-2004, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by RACER,Oct 14 2004, 07:11 PM
The S2K has a very distinct flair about it. I was deeply attracted to it when it first came out 5years ago. You should consider getting performance mods for power and handling instead of the sound system.

Welcome!!!
RACER

Quick Reply: Wild S2000 test drive