S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Wife gives a lesson

Old 04-14-2001, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I headed out to my parents down the shore. She said "I want to drive so you can see what its like being tossed around"

Ok I now will have a little more respect for my passenger and save aggressive driving for when I'm alone.

She tossed the rear around a couple times Vtec'd in the first 3 gears several times and weaved in and out of traffic engaging ABS a few times. She hasnt driven the car in about a year.

Starting to think I married Scot's sister

Its a total diff experience driving in your car when someone else is driving it aggresively. This car feels very fast in the passenger seat.

So have you let anyone drive your car hard while you were a passenger and what was your impression?
Old 04-14-2001, 05:59 PM

I feel bad for the car, like it is being abused. It is a different feeling when I am driving though.
Old 04-14-2001, 06:24 PM

Hey, Charlie! Few others have driven my car, but I allowed a neighbor friend of mine who is into cars drive it. I suspected that he was a capable driver, and he is. He pushed it fairly hard. Being a passenger certainly isn't the positive experience that driving the car provides.

My wife and kids (then 18 and 16) had this problem in spades a few years ago, with me at the wheel of a Jeep Wrangler, for a day-long drive along an unimproved road through Canyonlands National Park. Constant major bouncing and jarring. I rather enjoyed it (and the scenery was fantastic), but they really felt like they took a beating. The rougher the ride, the more significant the difference between the driver experience and the passenger experience.
Old 04-14-2001, 06:34 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

My unmarried sister has fake breasts and lives in Miami with her 8 kids in the doublewide.

Well....actually..... sounds like I need to take a ride with your wife..
Old 04-15-2001, 05:00 AM

charlie,
At the autox when the insructor drove my car I was thrown about so much I could not stop laughing. Loved every second! My helmet kept crashing into the window. There really are no handholds.
Evan
Old 04-15-2001, 05:20 AM

Know what you mean. I did some 0-100kmh testing with DavidM and was surprised by the kick in the back in his car when changing from 1st to 2nd at redline. I didn't feel that in my own Stook .

However, at our last track meet I went out with an instructor driving my car and first impressions were - wow, that's acceleration, followed by whoops here come the curves and there I was really being chucked around. You just don't notice anywhere near as much when you're the one having all the fun and you have a wheel to grip on to. I guess your concentration is also focused on geting through that corner quickly as opposed to hanging on for dear life.
Old 04-15-2001, 06:44 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

......that would be "hanging on for dear wife".....2K Turkey.
Old 04-15-2001, 06:59 AM

Originally posted by Utah S2K
......that would be "hanging on for dear wife".....2K Turkey.
Yeah, unfortunately my wife does not drive manuals - she only got her licence 5 years ago at the age of 45 and is a fairly (very) conservative driver.

When I first started teaching her to drive (15 years ago) we had one particularly hair raising episode where she went round a normal street corner (90 degree) without slowing down and almost rolled us - of course it was my fault, we didn't speak to each other for a week afterwards!!
Old 04-15-2001, 09:00 AM

No one has driven Melissa yet. I keep offerring, every one turned me down. You don't suppose it has anything to do with the gun I'm wearing do you? Kidding.
Old 04-15-2001, 10:57 AM

LOL, I gained A LOT more respect for our car after a ride as a passenger with Prolene a few weeks ago.

Quick Reply: Wife gives a lesson