S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

the wife *hates* the wheels...what to do?

Old 08-24-2001, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Takashi is completely correct...

As I've mentioned elsewhere before... the +35mm front offset is designed to fit the Spoon calipers behind them. The clearance is EXTREMELY tight... about 1.5mm!!! So Spoon suggests +35mm for a reason. They make the +45mm offset 16" SW388 for the Integra and Civic...

The S2000 Spoon caliper is much bigger than the Civic and ITR Spoon caliper... hence the need for making the new +35mm offset 16" SW388!

Hope this clarifies a few things!

Old 08-24-2001, 01:36 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Spoon AP1
[B]Takashi is completely correct...
Old 08-24-2001, 02:22 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 4373
[B]

No it doesn't clarify things because Spoon designs and Nissin
Old 08-24-2001, 06:47 PM

I'm well aware of all the points that have been brought up. Desmond makes the wheel, which is marketed as the Regamaster Evo and the Spoon SW388 (in flat black only).

I was simply making a statement about the Spoon calipers. 4373, I was not in any rush to make the show deadline... the calipers I have were sent over directly by Spoon Japan. Take it from somebody who knows, the Integra blue calipers will NOT fit the S2000. The blue calipers I have are exactly what the production Spoon S2000 calipers will look like. It's true that they were originally considering producing the S2000 units in silver, but according to Spoon Japan, they decided to stick with the trademark BLUE color. The info that Prophecy Performance has is outdated... if you want up-to-date info, check out www.spoonsports.co.jp and see for yourself... the production pics are BLUE. Furthermore, it's A&J RACING who is the sole North American Distributor for Spoon... so don't take it from me... ask them directly.

Mingster is probably the biggest Spoon guy in the U.S., so maybe he can set the record straight?
Old 08-24-2001, 10:52 PM

The BLUE Spoon Calipers are the new ones that have JUST been released for commercial use. The old Silver Spoon Calipers are what they used to be. If you go to www.spoonsports.ca and compare the pictures of the ITR Spoon Calipers and the new S2000 Spoon Calipers you will notice that the shape is totally different. You will also notice that the old S2000 Spoon calipers and the new S2000 Spoon calipers looks similar is shape. If you don't believe me, take a look for yourself.
Old 08-25-2001, 06:27 AM

So these 'new' blue Spoon calipers need the lower offset or not? I think the ideal would be the Regamasters with the 45 mm offset combined with the 'new' blue caliper should the latter fit.
Old 08-25-2001, 06:35 AM

i do agree the stock wheels are better looking than those, but it would help if you used a flesh or at least aimed some light at the wheels. or are they just sucking up all the light?
Old 08-25-2001, 06:46 AM

Originally posted by cobie1
i do agree the stock wheels are better looking than those, but it would help if you used a flesh or at least aimed some light at the wheels. or are they just sucking up all the light?
The flat black finish is quite a mat type and thus does not really reflect much light at all. It is not too rough a finish, however, that it feels like sandpaper; it actually feels somewhat smooth.
Old 08-25-2001, 08:00 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by cobie1
Oh, great! Not only does his wife hate these things, now he's got the BLACK HOLE of aftermarket wheels on his car.
Old 08-25-2001, 12:12 PM

The original problem I discussed with A&J with a 35mm only concept was the expensive need for 2 sets of Spoon wheels. You would need one set of SW388's for competition tires and another set of SW388's for street tires or, you'd have to remove your Nissin/Spoon calipers and put on the stock calipers to mount your street tires on OE rims.
At that time I was assured the Nissin/Spoon caliper was being designed to fit behind both wheels, thus eliminating the need for a 2nd set of SW388's.
If this 35mm fit only is true, how many people are going to buy a $1750 caliper with a stock size pad which would force you to buy 2 sets of $1850 wheels? I'm done posting on this topic because I personally have no desire to obtain this caliper, but I will check back to see what reality is. Someone ask Allen at A&J if you must have a minimum of 35 mm, if so Spoon AP1, you need a second set of SW388's for your track tires.....that just doesn't seem like sensible marketing of Spoons part.

Quick Reply: the wife *hates* the wheels...what to do?