S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Why is the value of this car dropping like a Mir space station?

Old 05-25-2001, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, in CA with all the 'stupid rich people' paying 45K at certain dealereships, you could certainly sell a low-mileage used S2K for more $$$ than in those other areas were the 'smart poor people' live.
Old 05-25-2001, 09:41 PM

I'm in west LA, which from what I'm hearing, I shouldn't have been able to do what I did two months ago. On a Wednesday, I made the decision to get the car, if I could find one for MSRP. I was expecting to have to wait a while and possibly have to go far to get it, if I could find one at all. Two days later, On Saturday morning, I drove the new color/combo I wanted off the lot, 20 minutes from my home, at MSRP. All it took was a few minutes on the web, and a couple hours at a single dealer. Even in sunny SoCal, its not that hard to do. Ignore whats on the sticker (mine had a 10k markup, but they also had a black with no markup in the showroom...).

Of course, I could give in to the possibility that I was just extremely lucky...

-David

Originally posted by Westwood
While shopping for mine a little over a month ago, Honda of North Hollywood had 3 priced at $45-50k. All had front and rear spoilers, side strakes, the cd changer and a nice little 10k premium. I noticed while looking around that dealers in SoCal can get away with this because there must a ton of stupid rich people running around.
Old 05-26-2001, 02:16 AM

After looking around I got my car for roughly MSRP in Cathedral City, CA. I also had a quote at MSRP from a
dealer in Bakersfield, CA but didn't want to wait. Most
dealers in San Diego are selling the car for between
$37k-$42k w/o a hardtop.

If you call around you can find the car you want for a
a price you are willing to pay. It took me about a week,
but it was worth it. I still get calls every once in a
while from dealers telling me they got a black stook in.
Old 05-26-2001, 03:42 AM

I actually find some of the comments on this subject interesting -- especially the ones blaming the economy for the decrease in value.

I have a few comments:

1. It is a car -- it depeciates -- period!
2. It is not an exotic -- as much as we would like to think so. Yes, it does have world class performance and characteristics -- no debating that. Even most exotics depreciate some...
3. I agree the economy is in a funk -- my loss in the markets has been catostrophic -- I am sure there are plenty of us in that boat. Anyway, go to a car dealership on a sunny Saturday and tell me how much of a funk it is in -- there are still plenty of folks buying out there -- taking advantage of low interest rates and discounting. Actually if you go anywhere there is shopping, just observe -- people are still making purchases -- just not at the pace they were before.

My two cents -- it is a car...
Old 05-26-2001, 05:54 AM

Received 5,797 Likes on 3,416 Posts

I'm a firm believer no one should pay over MSRP, I don't care what car it is. That said, selling a $32k car (before taxes, etc.) for $28k with 10k miles on it (as mentioned in an earlier post), sounds very reasonable to me. That's only 12.5% off sticker for 10k miles of fun. When I was looking, I test drove a used S2k with only 2k miles on it; the owner wanted over sticker to recover some of his loss since he paid $5k over sticker -- and as far I know the car's still for sale. I bought a new one at MSRP; I would expect in this summer's economy with the tech stock's in the dumper, premium gas over $2 a gallon, early demand satisfied, etc. that one could get the car under MSRP in many areas of the country.
Old 05-26-2001, 09:03 AM
Bieg

Check the AutoWeek Magazine classifieds, they are a good benchmark as to what the car is worth nationwide.