S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Why is the tonneau cover so Freakin hard to put on?

Old 11-12-2002, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is the tonneau cover so Freakin hard to put on?

I tried doing a search but its not working now. Well since it's the first time its been warm since I got my car I tried putting on the tonneau cover and weren't about to put it on. I hardly had any room to stick my hand in to pull the tap to connect it to the headrest and once I was able to I could only get the outside two to connect. So I figured that would be okay but then I tried tucking the rear end like the manual said and it kept popping back up. Any suggestions how to get this darn thing to stay put. You would think Honda could come up with a better cover.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:32 PM

well given the S2000 is the first "convertable" car they have ever made...i blame this problem due to their lack of experience.
Although at first i thought having the cover on was a much better ...i eventually learned to live without it.
no hassle of taking it on or off....and YOU can't even see it....but with a little patiance its not all that hard of a task.

but you are true..it's a bitch

-SS2K
Old 11-12-2002, 11:39 PM

I *think* the cover is harder to put on '02+ models because the glass rear makes the whole thing stick up a little more. Yeah, my '02 was a bitch as well.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:08 AM

i wish i had room for it and had time to put that thing on--but yeah it is difficult to put on--

it would keep my converti top clean--it's soo dirtaay!
Old 11-13-2002, 02:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's some ideas...

I store mine flat against the wall in my garage instead of folding it up. I support it by the plastic "latches" so that they stick out more when installed.

If I do fold it up, I find it's a little more tricky to install, and the back end will keep popping back out for a while. Eventually it will stay in.

It seems to help to push down at then ends, right above where the convertible top aparatus is... after installing and whenever you notice it keeps popping up.

Try to tuck the material down between the top and the plastic well between snaps on MY02-03. The window is in there and makes it a little difficult, but if it's tucked in the second snap is easy to engage.

Don't worry if it pops up. If you have the front snaps on, I think it's impossible to lose it.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:54 AM

Reading this thread has validated my very simple three step process for the beautiful faux leather boot cover:
1. Fold cover in half
2. Place on shelf in garage
3. Leave it there forever
Old 11-13-2002, 05:13 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Piece of crap. Think I could get anything for it on E-bay?
Old 11-13-2002, 06:15 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jelliotlevy
[B]Reading this thread has validated my very simple three step process for the beautiful faux leather boot cover:
Old 11-13-2002, 07:25 AM

It gets much easier to install and remove with a little practice. Even though I live in the Northeast I kept my top down most of the summer. I only put it up to wash it usually. I like the look of the car with the boot on, it gives it a smoother finished look. It just sucks if you get caught in a sudden rainstorm, the extra seconds involved in removing the boot instead of the 6 seconds it takes to raise the top without can leave you a bit damp. I use a interior cover on mine when parked at work. Keeps the interior cool and clean.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:47 AM

I use mine 90% of the time because it looks better and keeps dust out. I don't know about 02 models but for 00 and 01 I will make a statement. IF YOU CAN"T INSTALL OR REMOVE IN 60 SEC. YOU ARE NOT DOING IT RIGHT.

I average about 45 sec. w/o hurrying. Here's the procedure:

1. Lay boot in place. Connect the 2 straps on each end
2. Make sure front edge of boot is BELOW the 4 snaps NOT resting on top of the snaps.
3. Line up the clips on the snaps and push on the BACK EDGE of the boot directly behind each snap. You DON"T need to put your hand under the boot or touch the snaps when installing.
4. Tuck in the back and sides and push down on the corners.

When removing the boot, make sure you SQUEEZE the snaps BEFORE you pull backwards on the boot. Otherwise you are working against yourself.

If you have trouble with back not staying in place, try the following in order listed.

1. Push down on top before installing boot
2. Have TSB done at dealer that lowers top further into well (the stpos are adjusted)
3. Do as I did and extend the tabs on back of boot. I pop riveted a piece to extend them about 1/2 inch. NEVER comes up.

Quick Reply: Why is the tonneau cover so Freakin hard to put on?