S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Why is the S2000 a better car than the 350z

Old 02-07-2008, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Feb 3 2008, 01:00 PM
The Z has broader market appeal. To me, that says it all.
The S2000 is more of a niche market car, and I happen to be in the target niche. "Better" has nothing to do with it.
Just to clarify what Red MX5 is saying... I hope.

The Z does appeal to the general market per it produces auto transmissions while S doesn't. I would never buy a sports car w/an auto tranny, but people do. That's why all the sports cars (exotics included) are coming out w/ the DSG shifter. While the gears will engage faster than any person driving a traditional manual, but the real reasoning is to attract more people to buy the cars.

I've had the luxury of both owning both. I had the '03 Z when it first came out and now have '04 S. Don't get me wrong, I love the S, but the Z is right up there with it. Like many peeps have said, they are completely different cars. Z being a torquie gran tourer and S a precise handling track car. What is that you want? For me, I'm really glad that I had the Z as my first real RWD sports car. I've become a better driver because of the Z's much more forgivingness. S on the other hand is for more refined driver. Because the S is a 50/50 balanced car, one cannot really know its limit until you reach it, that's why so many folks spin out with the S. But with the Z, because it's heavier and more forgiving, when you pull out your tail it's much easier to control. Not only that, Z is very ROOMY 2 seater, while S isn't. There are so many pros and cons to both cars one can't really compare the two. They are both sports cars with different DNAs.

While I really miss driving the Z on somedays, but right now S is the cure for my driving addiction. ^^
Old 02-07-2008, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by ZDan,Feb 6 2008, 08:21 PM
The 350Z was a HUGE disappointment for me, particularly with the promise of a return to 240Z ideals
How so? When the Z came out in 2002 as an 2003 model, its base price was $26K. Big engine, small car, weighed in at 31xx lbs. IIRC, R&T tested it at 0-60 in 5.3sec (Track model trim, but has same suspension, engine, etc. as base).

240Z ideals were the same; big engine, small car, small price. Both cars have a minimalistic interior. Both cars have big bang for the buck, both cars have a driver-centric interior.

Not really following your logic.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Feb 6 2008, 01:43 PM
Anyone compare the Nismo edition versus their S2000 ? I'm not so keen on the boy racer body kit, despite its function, but I appreciate what it is supposed to represent. It also seems to be a better effort than the S2K CR edition.

The rumor is a slightly smaller Z coming soon. That should make it even more attractive to sports car guys.
Kinda interesting story; just had a Nismo Z for a night, last night. It really makes me wonder why I went with the S.

Agreed, the exterior is a bit polarizing. But the main story is the performance. Better handling than a regular Z (I had an 05 35th anniversary Z) without any ride quality penalty. Unlike my S, there's actually GOOD and useful steering feedback in the Z. Z gives you that feeling of confidence whereas with the S, I'm rather cautious about its limits even though I leave VSA on 100% of the time. The Z is predictable and when it lets go, there's a bit of time to react. When the S lets go, it seems to give rather suddenly (and then VSA kicks in).

I get the feeling that an average driver can operate the Z confidently and quickly. The S seems to require more driver.

And since you mention the CR, I think Nismo Z would compare better with the CR than a non-CR, and consequently a non-Nismo Z against a non-CR.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:53 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

[QUOTE=pyrocpu,Feb 7 2008, 02:26 PM]How so?
Old 02-07-2008, 03:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS2GOAT,Feb 7 2008, 11:46 AM
I don't frequent these boards much, but I'd have to disagree. 29k is more base/enthusiast MSRP. The touring model runs much higher.

I spent 4 months looking for a Z (went from looking at 03s, to 05s, to finally new). When I went to dealerships for new, there was no one who would give a touring model for 29k.
I just bought 2 07 Zs.

Both with 3k or less miles on them so basically new.

The base model cost me $24,200 and the Grand Touring cost only $26,xxx.

The Z's value simply plummets when you drive it off the lot.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:15 PM

As for the torque vs power issue, it's really pretty simple. If you know the weight of a car, and it's horsepower, you can make a good estimate of it's quarter mile performance, but given torque and weight you can estimate absolutely nothing. SO, you look at power when you want to get a feel for performance, because torque doesn't actually tell you anything. A car that weighs 6,000 lbs. and only produces 100 ft.lbs. of torque can accelerate at 1G (given overall gearing of 60:1), but it's not going to do it for very long, unless the engine can turn a bazillion RPM.

Torque gives you an indication how the car will respond when you're being lazy and don't want to downshift. Power tells you how the car will perform when you drive it hard. Power is for performance. Torque is for trolling around in traffic without shifting gears.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:00 PM

S2000's are just pure SEX!!
Old 02-07-2008, 08:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If its for daily driving the 350Z will win in most categories but if its a fun weekend ride you need then the S2000 is probably a better choice.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:28 AM

Seems like "Is 350Z or S2000 better?" is one of the most beaten to death topics here, along with "AP1 vs AP2" threads.

Anyway, obviously I own an S2K, so you know which one I prefer

On a side note, I saw 2 350Zs/Fairladies yesterday (one during day time, and one during night time), and both drivers didn't seem to like me very much. They were both tailgating me while there appears to be no traffic on the street, and staring at me when we stopped at redlights.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Feb 7 2008, 09:15 PM
Power is for performance. Torque is for trolling around in traffic without shifting gears.
ooh, ooh, can I use this as a sig on my a local forum here in T'dad? This would piss a whole lot of Evo worshipping morons off and get me in all kinds of hot water. Huh, can I?

Quick Reply: Why is the S2000 a better car than the 350z