S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Why is the S2000 a better car than the 350z

Old 02-04-2008, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Feb 4 2008, 08:13 PM
For some reason there are a lot of people out there who are too dim to realize that gearing multiplies torque, and that higher revs allow lower gearing, which translates into greater torque multiplication. When someone says that the S2000 is slow because the engine makes very little torque, what they are really telling you is that they don't actually knonw how cars work. It is the equivalent of saying "I don't have a clue."

As for acceleration, it's a function of thrust divided by mass, so the Elise will be quick, because it's light weight. Mass, torque, and gearing, have to be viewed together.

OR, you can just look at HP and mass, because HP isn't affected by gearing.
Next time somebody talks some crap about S2000 torque, just do this ...
... ...
and walk away. There is no future in getting into a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
True, but then they come back with the "drive-ability" thing - which is to say the high torque cars don't have to change gears in traffic because they make 10^6 ft-lb tq at 1000 rpm etc etc etc. and we have to shift so much blah blah blah and rev to 9k just to get the car to move blah blah blah. They never seem to like us to link the Honda method of making power to the F1 method of making power - like "how dare you even suggest you Honda has anything in common with F1"

It is a topic we just can't win in conversation.

So yeh, the Z is "better" (as I walk away).

Old 02-04-2008, 06:13 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The S2000 is the greatest car ever made.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:44 PM

you know its funny, I never really liked the s2000 at first (maybe cuz I didn't know much about it to begin with) I was always a 350z fan till I drove several (cept for a brand new 06 that was pretty nice).

One night my cousin picked me up in his older bro's mercedes slk and had the top down in a summer night, I forgot all about the 350z and here I am now with the s2k top always down, this car is not for everyone, but for those who love it truly LOVE it.

Oh one thing that wasn't mentioned, have you ever tried taking off a 350z/g35 bumper or other certain things, its still easy to do but nowhere as easy as a honda lol
Old 02-04-2008, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by trinis2001,Feb 4 2008, 10:07 PM
True, but then they come back with the "drive-ability" thing - which is to say the high torque cars don't have to change gears in traffic because they make 10^6 ft-lb tq at 1000 rpm etc etc etc. and we have to shift so much blah blah blah and rev to 9k just to get the car to move blah blah blah.
I'd have to explain that shifting gears was half the fun of driving a performance car.
Are these people going to stay in sixth on the track, to avoid all that nasty downshifting?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:40 PM

You just need to drive both cars. the Z is a much better, comfortable freeway cruiser which will meet the needs for the majority of the people out there.
I chose the S because it is more of a driver's car (raw feeling, razor sharp handling, etc.) than a G.T. I would've got my S2000 even if it were to only come in a coupe form by the way...
Old 02-04-2008, 11:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I first test drove a couple G35s. Nice, in the family sorta way. Drove an RX-8. It was...alright... Test drove the S2000 and fell in love w/it as soon as I hit 9k. They're all different cars, all different purposes.

The S gives you this raw connection to the road that was missing in every other car I test drove. That connection to the road is what identifies a sports car vs a grocery getter.

Having driven my S cross-country, San Diego to New York (with a week or two in Phoenix in between), I disagree with anyone who says this car is not for long road trips. I did it in a Recaro SPG, and that's far less comfortable for long trips than the stock seats. I've made a few other road trips (Phx to LA for Homecoming '07, Phx to the Grand Canyon) and have a few more planned for the upcomming year.

IMO there is no better car for touring the US. It puts you in touch with the same emotions that drive old-timers to drive their classics cross-country on good ol' Route 66. It's that heritage, that pedigree hailing from F1 cars. I think you'll find that those who truly appreciate the S are the ones who enjoy watching F1 racing over other sports, Not just because it's F1, but because of the driving skills displayed. The raw connection to the car and the road those F1 drivers seem to have.

I've yet to meet an S2000 driver who wasn't passionate about driving his/her car whenever/wherever he/she could. That's not the same feeling you get with Z owners.

Perhaps I just like the comraderie surrounding the S community. We meet in parking lots, take time out of our schedules to chat with a new S2000 driving friend, etc. Very few S2000s are the same. And yet the overwhelming majority appreciate the uniqeness of each S2000. We recognize the subtle differences from a distance. We teach our wives/husbands/significant others to do the same (I know I'm trying, lol).

Best part of owning the S: just driving it puts a smile on my face no matter how bad things might seem to be.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:47 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by qbmurderer13,Feb 3 2008, 12:45 PM
S2000's looks better IMO.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The two cars may have similar performance stats.... but that is where there similarity ends.

They are two different cars. The demographic for an S owner is much smaller than a Z owner.

An S owner knows what he wants. It's not luxury, it's not a back seat and it's not extra weight.

The Z is a multi-talented vehicle, the S is more focused.

Tim
Old 02-05-2008, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by ZDan,Feb 4 2008, 08:29 PM
There's still a "magic number" required in the metric system.

kW = N-m * rpm / 9550

There is no metric value for pi!
(no metric minute either)
Thanks ZDan. Post edited and corrected.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:27 PM

[QUOTE=SIIK2NR,Feb 5 2008, 06:43 AM]The two cars may have similar performance stats.... but that is where there similarity ends.

Quick Reply: Why is the S2000 a better car than the 350z