S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Why is the S2000 a better car than the 350z

Old 02-04-2008, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

uses alot less to produce the same result....in other words its more efficient in the fun dept
Old 02-04-2008, 08:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got it!

because WE drive S2000!

Bam.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having driven a supercharged 350 and my current s, I will still pick the s over the 350. The feel in the weight difference is drastic even though the 350 was supercharged. The s is just a "bare bones" better feeling car to drive. For those of you that said the 350 would be better to drive on a long trip I agree with, until you have to fork over the gas money to get there!
Old 02-04-2008, 10:00 AM

Exclamation

I've owned 03 S2000 then to 03 350Z track then back to 04 S2000. While I had 350Z, there were ups and downs:

+: Z was a more comfortable crusing car especially in long distance drive. More room compared to S2000; relatively big trunk space. Great exhaust sound.

-: reliablity issue. My 03Z had many minor issues such as window motor issue, rear axle clicking issue, tire feathering, etc. Dull interior. Low fit&finish.

While I had Z, I really missed driving S2000. Had dreams about it for so many times.... I couldn't stand it! I had to go back to S2000. btw, my first S2000 was totalled...
Old 02-04-2008, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by audiophile,Feb 3 2008, 01:46 PM
I agree with what the others have said and would add if your comparing roadster to roadster the 350z roadster just doesn't look right, top up or down.
Plus it is quite a bit heavier.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:07 PM

First Post !!!

I am weighing in the options between the Z & the S2K

I like the lines of the S better than the curves of the Z

The extra 100+ ft-lbs of torque that the Z has is really appealing.

I also like that I can get a 6 disc CD changer with the Z, but ike my wife said "You're going to let a radio be the deciding factor?"

I think what it will really come down to will be how well I fit into each car. I'm 6'4" 210lbs, so I'm worried that I'll be a little cramped in a S2K
Old 02-04-2008, 12:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got back from driving my Z into town. I had forgotten something from my original post - if you think you've got blind spots in the S just drive the Z

OMG! There are whole quadrants you can't see out of the Z and the back glass slit (that's what it looks like in the rear view mirror) is about useless. You are looking thru so much glass at such an extreme angle that while you can tell a car is behind you, you can't tell what it is.

As far as the 100+ pounds of torque, well that is negated with the extra weight. I still downshift more in the Z than I do in the S.

When it comes to radios be very, very careful on the Nissan. I have been trying to update the radio in my car with no success and don't even think about using your iPod in the Z unless you got the right radio from the factory.

I have an 07 base model and an 07 Grand Touring and apparently they have completely different wiring harnesses too so my options aren't even the same between cars.

Anyone want to buy an 07 base model? $24,200

Which brings up another point. DEPRECIATION! The Honda's hold their value much better. I bought 2 almost new Zs (less than 3,000 miles on both) for about the same as an 05 S2000.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:12 PM

The quality of Nissans engine and trans is pretty good, the VQ35 engine is one of the best engines made. Havent heard any thing bad about it yet. I could of probably found a used Z for a good price(never saw one for sale here) but I had always wanted a S2K since they were made. Saw one for sale, test drove it, bought it. I should try to find a Z and see how it drives for the heck of it(wont buy it).
Old 02-04-2008, 01:22 PM

people cant be so one sided in this argument, the cars were designed to compete with each other. I have a Z and my room mate has a S(im on his user name), i got my z the same time he got his S and i was originaly going to get a S also but ive had too many nissans so i changed my mind and i couldnt be happier.

im not here to pick sides..im just here to educate..the Z and hte S are two totaly differnet cars, the Z is a Grand Touring car and the S is a roadster..thats like apples and oranges. the S is more nimble stock but then again its not that hard to be nimble when you dont have much power to work with. Sure the older Z motors have a weak redline but youve got to remember the VQ makes power from 1000-6,600rpm where as the S only makes power from 6-9 so in reality the Z has a far superior powerband, and still the S is always right next to the Z considering the power it makes its amazing that the S can do everything hte Z does with the top down.

i like both cars and i love drifting and grip the Z has the best of both worlds and the S excels in just grip, my only complaints about the S are that its got a tiny cabin and trunk and that crazy electric power steering but its interior build quality far surpasses the Z...other than that theyre both cool cars it just depends on what you want to do.

honestly tho...honda went overboard with the MSRP no options little comfort and room for 32k+..crazy you can get a touring Z (leather, bose, LSD, VDC) for around 29k
Old 02-04-2008, 01:49 PM

I have a friend with a 350z, we've autocrossed each other's cars a number of times when we were both near stock. The torque in the 350 is really nice. Where in the S I needed to downshift for a tight corner, in the 350 you can just leave it in gear and romp on the throttle just off idle and still squirt out of the corner pretty well. What he liked about my car was the steering, how it's so responsive and nimble. And that was with him on drag radials and me on just regular summer tires. The Z in tight cornering definitely feels much larger and heavier than the S, I would even say moreso than their curb weights would indicate. Now we're both FI so it will be interesting to swap again next season and see what's what.

Quick Reply: Why is the S2000 a better car than the 350z