S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Why No Rubber On The Accelerator?

Old 11-03-2007, 12:56 PM

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Why No Rubber On The Accelerator?

On the S2000, the brake and clutch pedals have sticky rubber nubs, but on the gas pedal, there are only flat plastic black circles which are slippery. The dead pedal has plastic nubs that are not sticky.

On the S2000 and most other sports cars that I've checked, the gas pedal doesn't have anything for traction. What is the purpose for this?

Why is it better to have a slippery gas pedal?

The reason I'm asking is because I purchased Sparco CF pedals for my other car, and I'm cutting some grip tape for the brake and clutch pedals. I'm not going to put any on the gas pedal, but I don't know why. These pedals actually come with grip tape cut for only the brake and clutch (I just want to make my own).

-Pete
Old 11-03-2007, 01:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you should check out the mugan pedals... they have that sea coral stuff thats supppper grippy.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by mic_crispy,Nov 3 2007, 01:01 PM
you should check out the mugan pedals... they have that sea coarl stuff thats supppper grippy.
I couldn't find any Mugen pedals that use coral for grip. Even King Motorsports doesn't have them.

I did find an interesting statement by Mugen, though:

In mass-production vehicles, the accelerator, brake, and clutch pedals all have the same type of rubber surface. However, in formula machines, only the surfaces of the brake and clutch pedals are made non-slip. This is because in racing where more demanding footwork is required, the accelerator requires exactness, but the brake and clutch require grip. Mugen believes that this also holds true for sports driving, in which nimble footwork is needed. With Mugen sports pedals, the accelerator has a wide front and rear with a buffed surface finish, while the brake and clutch pedals are small pedals with a nickel-chrome blown metal non-slip surface.

-Pete
Old 11-03-2007, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The slippery gas pedal makes it easier to quickly blip the throttle, then slide your foot off, when heel-toe downshifting.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Kodokan_4,Nov 3 2007, 03:43 PM] I couldn't find any Mugen pedals that use coral for grip. Even King Motorsports doesn't have them.

I did find an interesting statement by Mugen, though:

-Pete
Old 11-03-2007, 08:51 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CKR_soloRacer,Nov 3 2007, 01:47 PM
The slippery gas pedal makes it easier to quickly blip the throttle, then slide your foot off, when heel-toe downshifting.
Ding ding!

We have an answer!
Old 11-04-2007, 05:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When using the accelerator your heel is planted, thus the pedal must slip under your toe in order to properly depress. If it were sticky it would drag your foot along with it.

Seems to make sense no?
Old 11-04-2007, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting info and i never thought of that hmm guess thats why im not an engineer
Old 11-04-2007, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by daktruckie99,Nov 4 2007, 06:30 AM
When using the accelerator your heel is planted, thus the pedal must slip under your toe in order to properly depress.
When using the brake pedal my heel is planted as well- in the same spot as for the accelerator. If my heel is not planted, I lose the ability for accurate brake pedal pressure when braking over bumps and rough roads.

I only lift my right heel off the floor momentarily to blip the throttle during heel and toe downshifting.

-Pete
Old 11-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My right foot "floats" when threshold braking. You don't modulate brakes lightly for control. That's the job of the engine and accelerator.

From first contact to full braking, that's a fair amount of travel. There's no way I could do that with my R heel anchored (maybe if you have REALLY long feet).

I'm with darktruckie on this one.

Quick Reply: Why No Rubber On The Accelerator?