S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Why is my warranty not covering my clutch problems???Please help!

Old 01-07-2003, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is my warranty not covering my clutch problems???Please help!

I'm having the same problem as all the other S2000 are having with the clutch. I brought it in today and the honda tech said that the vibration/deep humming noise coming from the transmission was the whole clutch assembly. I've heard of numerous s2000 owners replacing this problem under warranty, but why did Honda denied my claim. They said that the clutch is not covered because it wears out like the brakes ect. What can I say, because it has a annoying sound upon decelaration in any gear and it's really annoying? Should I keep on complaining? My warranty is 7 years/100,000 and I also bought the bumper to bumper warranty. What did you guys say to get this problem fixed? Thanks everyone.
Old 01-07-2003, 06:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You didn't indicate how many miles you currently have on the car. If you feel *this* dealer is sour, then try another local Honda dealer. But be more prepared...have the TSB information (that you can readily find and print off from this site) and be the informed customer that leaves the service advisor no room to back down. If you are stuck and *have* to use the existing dealer...then consider the same preparations mentioned before, but ask the service advisor to allow you to speak with the Service Manager. Inform the Service Manager of your problem and the TSB that American Honda has for this condition. If the Service Manager will not assist at this point, politely (remember, you will still be having additional visits/work here) inform the Service Manager that you wish for him/her to contact American Honda and ask for them to open a case pending investigation by AHM's district representative on your behalf.

- Dave
Old 01-07-2003, 06:55 PM

Point them at TSB 044 and 045. They address your problem exactly. The wording should be enough to convince most reasonable dealers. If the first one you go to doesn't work with you, I'd just try another.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:07 PM

Thanks guys. I currently have 44,000 miles and I just bought the car about 2 weeks ago. It's a Certified preowned car. I only put about 1,000 miles or so on it. I will definitally print out the TSB and will probably bring have a talk with them tommorrow. If it does'nt work out I'll probably bring it to another local dealer. Thanks guys.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by Liemoanh
Thanks guys. I currently have 44,000 miles and I just bought the car about 2 weeks ago. It's a Certified preowned car. I only put about 1,000 miles or so on it. I will definitally print out the TSB and will probably bring have a talk with them tommorrow. If it does'nt work out I'll probably bring it to another local dealer. Thanks guys.
WOW! 44K miles is gonna be a deal-breaker for you...unless...

...you can have the dealership look up the records (its all in Honda America's computers by VIN). If the car's history proves its never had the clutch TSB, you can simply say that it would be a kind gesture for them to provide the TSB for you. However, know that even the TSB indicates that once the car is outside of its warranty (and I presume the wording to be referencing the 3yr/36K factory...not extended), then honoring the TSB for free is up to the dealer/service center. Again, that's the loose wording of the TSB itself.

Problem being, as you can imagine, at 44K a clutch can have worn out all on its own and the dealers don't wanna replace everyone's just for wearing out. BUT...and again BUUUUT...your clutch seems to be "more than an issue of worn out"... Your clutch is presenting symptoms related to the TSB from AHM. For that...if nothing else...with a proper approach, a dealer could be willing to help you.

Again, good luck, and let us know how you fare.

- Dave
Old 01-07-2003, 07:41 PM

Another point you bring up... "Certified Pre-Owned" Hey, if its been certified, then there is some stipulation of its own warranty within this 2 week ownership surely. Even that ought to offer you an opportunity to have the clutch repaired via the TSB. You were sold a car that was Certified, and yet w/in 1000 miles you are in need of a clutch...? They really should help you.

- Dave
Old 01-08-2003, 07:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by...
[B]Point them at TSB 044 and 045.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a certified used car, the car should have gone through an inspection prior to being put up for sale. Have the dealer check who certified the car. Chances are that the mechanic is not familiar with the car and suggest that he missed this problem. With the tsb in hand, this should get their attention. Failing that, get involved with the Honda zone manager, using the same argument. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:07 AM

man
good luck with your claim
i hope you can get a free clutch
but this is exactly the reason why i cancelled my ext. warranty.
(they won't cover anything that will need to replace, and for everything they will cover, they will probably last a long time ..)