S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Why M3 vs S2000?

Old 05-09-2005, 06:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kenstyle,May 8 2005, 09:18 PM
Guys, I think he's referring to comparing the s2k with the e46 M3.

The reason why so many of us compare these two cars is that they both are high-revving, high performance cars, and both at the top of its class. Most of us, I'd imagine, wonder if the M3 is really worth the extra money. Also, it isn't uncanny that many ex-s2k owners have upgraded to the M3. But the most crucial aspect of this comparison IMO is the drivability and fun factor of the BMW. We all know the s2k is a blast to drive, especially with its go-kart handling and 2800-lb chassis. The m3, however, is much more portly, and at 3400+ lbs (for the coupe, I can't even imagine how much the convertible weighs), it can concern some people about whether this car can still bring a smile to your face as much as the s2k does.
I still dont know why people say "well most people upgrade to an M3". IMO this is no upgrade at all. I probably would never buy a BMW. Too many problems and they change the style of their cars every 2 years it seems and the price for what you get is way over hyped. They look decent but for that money I would rather pick up a Lotus Esprit. The performance is not to bad but if you want straight line speed why not get a Vette? Just my opinion.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

**WARNING! Sweeping Generalization Ahead!!**

I suspect *most* (not all of course) of these comparisions are people that want to know which car they'd rather be seen in more than what car they'd rather drive. How many of those people will take either car to an auto-x or track day?? Not many.

Driving wise I'd take an S2000 over an e46 M3 any day of the week. I've driven the M many times and it's a blast, great car, FAST, best GT type car I've ever driven. But, it's not a sports car and it doesn't feel like one. Now the e36 M3 is a much better comparison. Lighter than the e46 and, while not as fast, would probably make a better track car.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:24 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not sure exactly the line of thinking of those deciding between an S2K and an M3, the M3 costs about $20K more (new). That's the price of a beater car. A nice (or at least new) beater car. Now, would you want a "true" sports car (S2K) and a nice beater (Honda Accord), or a "faster" sports car that has more creature comforts than the beater?

Personly, I'm pretty sure I would rather have an M3 than and S2K. I'm also pretty sure that I would want an M3 more than a S2K and a beater. I guess a test drive to determine the fun-to-drive factor would be in order.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JsAP1,May 9 2005, 06:14 AM
I still dont know why people say "well most people upgrade to an M3". IMO this is no upgrade at all. I probably would never buy a BMW. Too many problems and they change the style of their cars every 2 years it seems and the price for what you get is way over hyped. They look decent but for that money I would rather pick up a Lotus Esprit. The performance is not to bad but if you want straight line speed why not get a Vette? Just my opinion.
You want a car that doesn't have "too many problems," and yet, you'd rather pick up a Lotus Esprit than an M3? Are you kidding me?
Old 05-09-2005, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by NoTorq,May 9 2005, 06:18 AM
**WARNING! Sweeping Generalization Ahead!!**

I suspect *most* (not all of course) of these comparisions are people that want to know which car they'd rather be seen in more than what car they'd rather drive. How many of those people will take either car to an auto-x or track day?? Not many.

Driving wise I'd take an S2000 over an e46 M3 any day of the week. I've driven the M many times and it's a blast, great car, FAST, best GT type car I've ever driven. But, it's not a sports car and it doesn't feel like one. Now the e36 M3 is a much better comparison. Lighter than the e46 and, while not as fast, would probably make a better track car.
i hope this is not true (but probably is, seeing all the M3's out there).

I tend to think M3 is a good compromise between a sports/GT car and being able to have a useable back seat and trunk......
Old 05-09-2005, 01:07 PM

I went from E36 sedan to s2k because I was frustrated with electrical problems and was ready for something new. I wanted something with a similar level of performance with an emphasis on handling. I think comparing M3 and s2k is very natual as long as space is not a factor.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:10 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

i tend to think of the two cars as simular, both with raw edges to them when pushed...and built for speed. it seemed like a good idea at the time...to think of the two cars in the same consideration of possible ownership...now if only i could get a bmw as reliable as my honda? as inexpensive to maintain? i like the m3 and would consider ownership of a used one.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:45 PM

I went from an S2000 to an M3 because I thought it was time to upgrade to a car with a little more room and torque.

After driving the M3 and not needing the back seat, missing the high revving nature of my S2000 (and being in the shop alll the time with the bimmer)-- i dumped the M3 and am back in the S2000 fold.

You are very right -- the M3 and S2000 are very different cars -- however they are both awesome in their segment.

I agree that the M3 feels heavy (especially when its a convertible).
Old 05-09-2005, 10:11 PM

IMHO M3 is overpriced.

S2000 is perfectly price.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im personally looking for either

2002+ white/red s2k

or 2001+ white/red convert m3

price is a big difference..
but i look at it as.. less $, less hp
or more $ more hp..

looks wise their equal in my book

rileyonly reason i like m3 better is.. the top is cleaner down.. and the gauges.. i cant stand digital guages (is their any replacement?)

Quick Reply: Why M3 vs S2000?