S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Why is Honda Afraid?

Old 02-16-2003, 07:37 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nastinupe1
[B]NA is great and all, but what about the WRX Sti's 300 hp and 300 lbs/ ft of torque out of a boxer 4 cylinder?
Old 02-16-2003, 07:56 AM

I love my S2000 the way it is.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:09 AM

When a WRX sti smokes an S2000 will the owner of the S2000 take comfort in the knowledge that his car is the most powerful NA 2.o li in the world? I think not!
It does not matter what technology you have under the hood. If another 4 banger slaps your car silly with a different, albeit less "elegant" technology, so what, he still beat you. What is the point of elegant tecnology if it is unable to deliver the goods. And don't tell me the S2000 would beat a WRX sti in handling, it cannot. Ditto for stopping power.
Now if Honda uses this technology and puts in a larger engine, not necessarily a 6, then it would be worth considering. Ofcourse, while Honda's NSX is still only producing a paltry 290 hp I doubt very seriously that the S2000 would get any meaningful boost in the power department.

So what is Honda afraid of when it comes to increasing the performance of the S2000? It is afraid of upstaging their over priced and under achieving (for the price) NSX, that is what.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:22 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shiftright
[B]When a
Old 02-16-2003, 09:43 AM

I think you guys are being a tad bit unfair. You have to remember that this is the first recent rendition of an S car. There will be more coming. But Honda can't just bump the displacement on this engine and feel good about its reliability without lots of testing. Also realize that this engine is used only in the S. Honda doesn't share this engine with 5 other cars. They have to recoupe the R & D money that went into this engine.

Now I know that there are faster cars out there. I wasn't concerned with being the fastest when I bought this car. If that was my concern I would have bought a Supra and modded it.

I think Honda will add a few horsies under the hood when the NSX comes out. I think the next one will also be a 4 cyclinder. They would have to do something extroidenary(sp) to warrant a 6 cyclinder, and that would prolly put it in the next gen NSX's performance range.

Most of the cars listed below have turbos. I personally don't want Honda to go down that route.

disclaimer: Sorry if my post seems a lil incoherent. Trying to cook, watch tv, and type is hard.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:53 AM

Something to think about:
BMW and Porsche have both introduced newer versions of their roadsters and they are starting to match the S in performance with 6 cyclinders. And our car is still 10~ 25k cheaper.

Why the h*ll are we fussing?

Of course, I would like to have more horsies. We got a heck of deal. When I drive down the street people break their neck trying to see what type of car this is. People are always asking me how much it cost. Do you think we would get the same response from anyone but ricers if we had a STi or Evolution? I'm not one to live off others compliments, but this is a testament to this car's aesthetic qualities. We got a well rounded roadster.
Old 02-16-2003, 10:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shiftright
[B]When a
Old 02-16-2003, 10:24 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lyndon_h
[B]Something to think about:
BMW and Porsche have both introduced newer versions of their roadsters and they are starting to match the S in performance with 6 cyclinders.
Old 02-16-2003, 10:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When are you guys gonna figure out that HMC is not the same as AHM? How many more sales will be generated in the US by an upgrade and what will it cost AHM? A rework of the existing car may slow the current decline in sales but not generate enough income to offset devaluing the current inventory and increasing the cost of those sales. I think this is a simple marketing decision and too often it is discussed as a engineering or emotional issue.
Old 02-16-2003, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by nastinupe1

And is it me, or are all ricers under weight?
True Phi.

Quick Reply: Why is Honda Afraid?