S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Why is Honda Afraid?

Old 02-16-2003, 04:23 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,158 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rick Hesel
[B]The S2000 is one of the most profitable cars Honda makes, and dealers sell most of them without having to discount them.
Old 02-16-2003, 04:32 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rick Hesel
[B]The S2000 is one of the most profitable cars Honda makes, and dealers sell most of them without having to discount them.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JonasM
[B]

Yes, the S2000 is very profitable on a per-car basis to dealers, but is it profitable to the company? The statement that Honda makes very little (if any) on this car is pretty plausible to me, given its low volume.

It shouldn't be that hard to estimate whether or not Honda is making any money on this car. The trick is finding the right numbers, like the cost of actual production on a per-car basis, development costs, etc..
Old 02-16-2003, 05:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would think that AHM feels that offering more variations will not increase sales substantially, but will increase costs (inventory, parts, training, etc.). A simple business decision.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think that the issue is about profit as much as it is about pride and bragging rights. Look at how fast Subaru came out with the WRX Sti just becasue the Evo VII came to the US. Subaru isn't even selling a bunch of WRX Sti's but that's not the point. They just didn't want Mish. to out do them. Which brings up another question. Why is it that Subaru, and Mishu. have these great cars and Honda just pussy foots around with the civic. Like anyone really wants a Civic Si with 160 hp for $20,000 when they can get an RSX with 160 hp for the same price? Why won't honda just come out with a car that can compete with the WRX, Evo VII, and Neon SRT?

By the way, I saw a WRX Sti last night. It's a nice car. A bit on the gawdy side though. The driver wanted to race, but I wasn't about to. My racing days are over.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:16 AM

Originally posted by nastinupe1
Instead, Honda released a Special Edition S2000 with ugly gold rims and chrome side mirrors.
Only in Japan. It also has pinstripes, quilted tan leather seats and door panels and center console. It comes in Monza Red Pearl or Monte Carlo Blue.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:28 AM

Why mess with success? The last time I looked, Honda wasn't suffering from any build-up of S2000's on dealer floors. Yes they aren't selling as briskly as they once were, but with the relatively small numbers of them imported, they still go rather quickly.

Honda didn't set out to make a monster engine, they made it one of the most efficient and mechanically advanced (not to mention green), with an impressive HP number to boot. The car was built as a celebration of Honda's technical expertise and as a continuation of the S line. In those respects it has been an unqualified success.

No amount of whining by certain members here will ever prompt Honda to say "Oh no we better make it faster" because unlike certain people, Honda isn't concerned with street racers' needs to "blow away other cars at stoplights" or any other such puerile desires.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:41 AM

Originally posted by djohnston

Honda isn't concerned with street racers' needs to "blow away other cars at stoplights" or any other such puerile desires.
Well, almost every other automaker is. And that goes for BMW (M3, M5), Jaguar (Type S R Type), Mercedes (anything AMG), Audi (S4), Misu. (Evo VII), Subaru (WRX Sti), Chevy (Comaro SS, Corevette Z06), Dodge (Neon SRT). And the list goes on... And apparently this approach is selling cars.

I wouldn't buy another S2000 right now if they did come out with a larger engine or added extra modifications, however, I don't want to see the S2000 turn into another Miata. Sure everyone respects the Miata, but the power in that car has only incrased 12 hp in 13 years! That is pretty pathetic.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:56 AM

Originally posted by S2200
But always remember that the S2000 has the world's most powerful 2.0L engine.
the world's most powerful normally aspirated 2.0L general automotive market engine.

I'm sure there are more powerful turbos and more powerful special purpose engines.
Old 02-16-2003, 06:57 AM

NA is great and all, but what about the WRX Sti's 300 hp and 300 lbs/ ft of torque out of a boxer 4 cylinder? Why is it that Subaru can get 300 lbs/ft of torque out of a 4 cylinder engine and Honda can only manage to generate about 1/2 of that in the more expensive S2000?

Quick Reply: Why is Honda Afraid?