S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Why is Honda Afraid?

Old 02-15-2003, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is Honda Afraid?

Why is Honda afraid to give the S2000's in the US more options such as the type V or a navigation system or the great choices of colors that Japan has? Also, why has Honda not increased engine output for the S2000? Most car makers improve the performance of their cars every few years, even if there is no overall change in the car. I am suprised that the S2000 has not had any major changes other than the improved transmission which was basically a necessity.

If you think about the type of response/ views that the Mythical S2000 Type R got on this thread as well as others, it seems like it would tell Honda something. I know that when I first read about the S2000 Type R, I was like "WOW". Can you imagine an S2000 with those numbers. That car would be worth $45,000 easy. It could have been a limited production car, maybe only 1000 sold in the US per year. Instead, Honda released a Special Edition S2000 with ugly gold rims and chrome side mirrors. WTF?

What is Honda afraid of?
Old 02-15-2003, 11:42 AM

I don't know why you would say Honda is afraid. Why whould they be? Think of all the cars that different manufacturers come out with planned upgrades in mind. The S came out already upgraded. It has sold out each production year whith essentially the same style. Maybe when sales go down, they will consider and upgrade. However, it will probably be out of reach for the people that were able to buy the original S. You make it sound like the S is a has been. Well, it's not.
Old 02-15-2003, 12:15 PM

I don't know if it's a matter of being afraid, but rather a matter of staying profitable. All car companies need to manufacture a car for a specific period of time in order to recoupe the development costs. Because the S2000 is such a low volume car, and the chassis is unable to be shared with anything else (NSX is mililar in this regard) this will probably take longer. Another factor is federal requirements requiring support after the sale. Someone please double check this, but I believe manufactures are requeired to support a model after it is discontinued for quite some time. This means inventoring parts etc. and while it is not impossible it is not economical. It also means re-certifying any new engine with the EPA (millions of dollars).

Another thing to remember all our cars are sold by American Honda. They are the importer, they buy their product from Honda Motor Company (Honda biggest customer). They simply don't choose to buy ALL the product Honda sells....
Old 02-15-2003, 12:56 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Afraid of what? Losing money?
Old 02-15-2003, 01:53 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nastinupe1
[B]... Instead, Honda released a Special Edition S2000 with ugly gold rims and chrome side mirrors.
Old 02-15-2003, 05:07 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,157 Posts

It just may be that on a car like the S2000 a 5+ year production run is necessary to justify the R & D investment that went into developing the car.

I too wonder why there are options available in Japan that are not available here. I think it has something to do with keeping the choices to a minimun and thereby allowing for maximum distribution efficiency. The more choices that are offered, especially on a car that is built overseas, the more difficult it is to satisfy specific orders. If there are very few options and a limited color range it is much simpler to satisfy orders.

Apparently, Honda feels the additional expense caused by more colors/options isn't justified.
Old 02-15-2003, 05:22 PM

If they gave the S2000 more power, it may be on par with the NSX in terms of performance. Economically speaking, if Honda gave the S2K more power, then most people would rather buy the S2000 for a lower price, wouldn't they? This is theoretically speaking, excluding car loyalty/looks.

Although the S2000 and NSX are both completely different cars, they are essentially two seat, rwd sports cars, and neither car really offers something different of the two. Generally speaking of course.

For example, the Z and the G35 coupe both use the same engine, but the G35 Coupe is obviously more luxury oriented and offers things that the Z do not have. Or, the M coupe and M3 both use the same motors, but the M3 is more of a sport tourer (offers more room), unlike the sports car status of the two seater M Coupe.

As for the Type V or Navigation...I have no idea. Maybe they're afraid the Type V might raise insurance rates since it is used only for high-speed driving.
Old 02-15-2003, 05:27 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,157 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by integrate
[B]If they gave the S2000 more power, it may be on par with the NSX in terms of performance.
Old 02-15-2003, 05:33 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ralper
[B]

That is an interesting concept, but I'm not sure that the S2000 and the NSX would ever compete one on one.

I think the S would always be perceived as the lower priced, lower level car.
Old 02-15-2003, 05:37 PM

NSX

Quick Reply: Why is Honda Afraid?