S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Why don't I just clear bra the whole car!

Old 07-30-2005, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why don't I just clear bra the whole car!

I am getting really frustrated about these damn rock chips. Every fricken week I am touching up my car. I dont have clear bra but even if I did it wouldnt matter, I would still find rock chips. I think I am going to get a better paint job in a few years. Hopefully it wont chip as much. This is driving me insane. Anyone else super pissed. I just had to vent. Thanks for listening.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:41 PM

I'm interested in experimenting with clear bra-ing the bottom 1/4 of the car or so...for a "project" shall we say

What does it cost for the material? Is it easily available for consumer purchase? Have you worked with it?
Old 07-30-2005, 04:45 PM

I am not sure. I know getting the bumper and part of the hood alone cost around $400-$500. I think I am past the point of no return. THe bottom of my doors look pretty bad from close up. I would have to repaint to do the clear bra. I would rather just wax the crap out of it each week and save up enough money so that in a year or 2 just get a better paint job.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:53 PM

Sorry to hear that man...that really sucks.

Maybe I'll look into this more. I think I may be able to get it through some friends who work in shops, but none specifically do clear bras. I'd really like to take the s2k to a rally cross or snow rally over the winter, but don't want to ruin the paint. (no crazy elevation changes or bumps - a friend ran a lowered s4 and did well in it...it isn't as crazy as it sounds at first)
Old 07-30-2005, 05:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't bother with a clear bra, because when/if/where you get damage is such a crap shoot.

At 4000 miles, there are no chips in the front facade. However, there is 1 chip below the driverside door handle, and two or three small scratches behind the wheel wells. Debris can strike anywhere.

It's just a sad fact of life, especially with modern paint. Just wait until it gets bad enough to repaint, and make sure you use some hard, environmentally unfriendly paint. Kill some owls.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:16 PM

I have clear bra over my s2k but only part of the fender, hood, and headlights, my front bumper does not have the clear bra. It came that way when i bought it, but i like it like that. My brother put the clear bra on his G35 and too me i wouldnt recommend it on the bumper. The reason i dont recommend it is because rocks still chip off the clear bra, and since because its like a sticker, you can see small dots of where rocks have hit and peeled the bra, they all look very tiny but when there is alot of them you can tell the bumper just looks like crap. I know my brothers bumper looks like crap right now even after he cleans it. Thats my 2cents on the clear bra. I dont mind it on the hood or fenders but i dont like it on the bumper due to that fact.

John
Old 07-30-2005, 08:27 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by johnqt3,Jul 30 2005, 05:16 PM
I have clear bra over my s2k but only part of the fender, hood, and headlights, my front bumper does not have the clear bra. It came that way when i bought it, but i like it like that. My brother put the clear bra on his G35 and too me i wouldnt recommend it on the bumper. The reason i dont recommend it is because rocks still chip off the clear bra, and since because its like a sticker, you can see small dots of where rocks have hit and peeled the bra, they all look very tiny but when there is alot of them you can tell the bumper just looks like crap. I know my brothers bumper looks like crap right now even after he cleans it. Thats my 2cents on the clear bra. I dont mind it on the hood or fenders but i dont like it on the bumper due to that fact.

John
dont know what condition or what tape your brother had but the clear bra shouldnt chip. mine has lifetime warranty to chipping and he cut off a piece when i was getting it installed and told em try to rip it or stretch it. Impossible. I can see if a full blown rock hit it but thats gonna dent the bumper too.....
Old 07-31-2005, 02:03 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

As soon as I got my S2k, I put on a clearbra, over the bumper, partial hood, headlights, fenders, and mirrors. I'm going back to them in a week to get the sides done (underneath the doors), and I'll be satisfied. It's worth the $.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:04 AM

I'm thinking about getting a clear bra, but i've never seen it on a car in person. When looking at the car can you see where the bra ends? I mean is there a weird looking line across the car that looks like there is a big plastic sticker on the car?
Old 08-02-2005, 03:45 AM

read my other post just get it repainted (bumper) after eveyr few years

Quick Reply: Why don't I just clear bra the whole car!