S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Why doesnt HONDA up the hp on S2000?

Old 10-25-2007, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can't we all just trade our cars in for accords. i hear they are exciting!
Old 10-25-2007, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by scashrine,Oct 25 2007, 12:41 PM
can't we all just trade our cars in for accords. i hear they are exciting!
i all ready have one ^^.... . hahahha an accord with a 4 banger i barely have 200hp under the hood the car is too ####ing heavy and its FWD well all accords are no fun.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Oct 25 2007, 01:47 PM
Your going to tell me a kid with 200hp has the same likely hood of crashing as a kid with 500hp?

Sure there are other factors, but power is also a big one, there is no denying that.
The main thing you said is the word "kid". I have see KIDS wreck 125 hp Civic's thinking that they are NSX Type R's.

And I'm not saying that hp doesn't mean anything, but I believe that there are more factors than hp that are invloved in accidents.

Red MX-5 stated in a post several weeks ago that an instructor damaged his car by not being careful. This had less to do with hp and more to do with the car's actual drivabliity. The S2000 has a tricky rear end and people don't heed the warnings.

In fact, if you think about it... All cars have had a tremendous increase in hp in the past 20 years. Are the number of accidents increasing or deacresing in correlation to the increase of drivers on the road in the US? If not, then my theory will stand that an increase in hp does not equal an increased chance of an accident.

I found this website, which has a lot of statistics for crashes in multiple states from 1990-1999. Taking into consideration, the growth in population, I don't see a real increase in the number of accidents.

(Scroll to bottom and click on Section 7 PDF file)
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/departments/n...0/ncsa/SDS.html
Old 10-25-2007, 05:59 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Kid as in, i don't know, sub 30 which is the majority of owners.

I'm not denying the fact that accidents have to do with other factors but horsepower is a factor that should be considered in the equation.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Oct 25 2007, 07:59 PM
Kid as in, i don't know, sub 30 which is the majority of owners.

I'm not denying the fact that accidents have to do with other factors but horsepower is a factor that should be considered in the equation.
But it hasn't stopped any other car maker from increasing hp, including Honda. Even the NSX went from 270 hp to 292 hp after 7 years on the market.

If Honda wants to breathe life into it's sports car divisioin, all they have to do is introduce a true Type R.

Give us a 310 hp 4 cylinder turbo, 18 Inch tires, stiffer everything, lighter whatever, suede interior, limited edition colors, optional Navi, and some cool ground effects and watch the world line up.

Charge $49,000 for the price of admission. People will pay!
Old 10-25-2007, 06:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think a more interesting question might be, "If Honda offered the S2000 with two engine options, one the standard (i.e., current configuration) and the other with an additonal 50 bhp, which would you have bought?"
Old 10-25-2007, 06:25 PM

in order for the S to have more HP it would need to up to a v6

honda dont exactly make the best v6 engines around.. the 4 bangers are what honda started on and been one of the most modded 4 banger out there

even hondata couldnt get more hp out of the S motor lol

its already topped out.. only thing they can do is boost the S motor.. since the evo and sti both are 4 bangers pushing 300 hp but boosted.. thats just insane for a 4 banger to have stock compare to most v6 and v8 motors out there that done even push this much power..
Old 10-26-2007, 07:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just don't understand why some bitch so much at Honda to increase hp, adding a turbo etc.? Do it yourself like many did. Why make Honda do it at their expense. Sure of course it's different since it's Honda engineered but for the their business fck's sake they won't even generate enough sales to hit break-even if they offer more options like some listed up there. Even if they one day decide to do it, it'll happen in Japan, but will never reach here.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Vik2000,Oct 26 2007, 09:29 AM
Just don't understand why some bitch so much at Honda to increase hp, adding a turbo etc.? Do it yourself like many did. Why make Honda do it at their expense. Sure of course it's different since it's Honda engineered but for the their business fck's sake they won't even generate enough sales to hit break-even if they offer more options like some listed up there. Even if they one day decide to do it, it'll happen in Japan, but will never reach here.
Simple, because if Honda does it, then the value of the car will raise. You can slap a turbo on a yugo and make it run 10 second 1/4 mile times, however, that's not the point. If Yugo had made a 10 second Yugo, then it would have been remembered.

I have a SC and a Navi in my S2000 but I'm still going to bitch about Honda offering the options in their car.

It's like a Halo effect. Just like the Sti and Evo. The lesser cars get more props because there's a super duper version out there.

I think that it's too late for this model run. But Honda should come out with a totally new S2000 but with three versions. A Base, a Touring, and a Type R. The base should be a carbon copy of the current S2000, but have 250 hp, the Touring should have the same power output, but come with a hard top and softer suspension and Navi, and the Type R should be lighter in weight, stiffer suspension, and has a 320 hp 4 cylinder turbo.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:05 AM

the S2000 has alot of power for a car of it's size and class IMO it's perfect

Quick Reply: Why doesnt HONDA up the hp on S2000?