S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Why do you put your S2k up for the winter?

Old 12-03-2001, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do you put your S2k up for the winter?

My S2k is not my daily drive. I drive it one day a week to work and sometimes a trip to town on the weekend. I have no plans on "putting it up" for the winter. I live in central Maryland, which gets its share of inclement winter weather. However, there are quite a few days of sun and dry roads from December through March.

So, for those that put it away for winter, why give up the opportunity to take it out on good days, regardless of month?
Old 12-03-2001, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by pcovers
So, for those that put it away for winter, why give up the opportunity to take it out on good days, regardless of month?
From mid Oct. until late May there are no "good days". We literally have 1" of ICE (most of time more) on the roads and temps hover in the teens on average (-2F yesterday).

Not exactly roadster weather, but then again it keeps the milage low
Old 12-03-2001, 03:23 PM

an average of over twenty feet of snow every winter, thirty feet plus at the ski area.

I have other cars and trucks better suited to winter needs.

Plus, I want to keep it looking perfect. With the gravel they put on the roads for traction, this would be impossible!

Gives me something to look forward too!
Old 12-03-2001, 03:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do the opposite here in Texas and when I was in Florida: I put it away in the summer. If it was too hot to put the top down, it was pointless to me to take the car out!
Old 12-03-2001, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#1- I gave up low riding cars long ago for a 4x4 truck. It is a much better winter vehicle and living in Upstate New York with the lake effect snow it sometimes comes in feet not inches. I like being the one who gets where he is going and not being the one who gets stuck on the way there.

#2- The road crews seem to prefer putting down way too much salt and chemicals instead of actually plowing the streets, must be some kind of kickback from the salt supplier. I have seen all to many of my cars disappear in front of me with rust, even though I try my best to keep it clean. Hand washing the car when it is 20 degrees outside is not a lot of fun.
Old 12-04-2001, 05:09 AM

Drive my beater when the weather is bad ( rain, ice and/or snow) otherwise drive it year round. Beater is a '87 Volvo 760 turbo which also is prone to swapping ends on the slick stuff.
However, I don't care if I get a boo boo on on my fourteen year old wheels. On my 2000 S2000
that's another story. I think I would cry
Old 12-04-2001, 05:26 AM

So all the other cars in my garage don't get jealous. Even beaters need love too man

That and i'm getting to much mileage and the salts are bad when i snows here. In my city, when it snows the city panics and they dump butt loads of salt on the streets that and people don't know how to drive in the snow very well here so i don't want a collision on my s2k.
Old 12-04-2001, 07:11 AM

I'm in the Boston area but the S2000 and NSX are ready to go if the weather is good - winter tires on the NSX.
Old 12-04-2001, 11:29 AM

I don't like to drive convertible without top down. that is the whole point that I bought the car. It is fast and it is a convertible. I drive my S every day in the summer here. But, I am putting it away for the winter. unless the temp is warm enough for some top down cruise.
Old 12-04-2001, 01:44 PM

Same here, I got more than 1 car to select from my car pool ... So, naturally the S2K is not always in use regardless of season but weather would always have to be good before I hit the roads.

Quick Reply: Why do you put your S2k up for the winter?