S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Why can't I shift smoothly in this car?

Old 12-02-2006, 08:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He doesn't say he grinds, he describes a hesitation, jumpy engagement.
Sounds like the car is chugging when he says his foot starts pumping the gas which makes the chugging worse.

A loose throttle cable gives this chugging symptom (throttle plate opening and closing rapidly)
Old 12-02-2006, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned 3 S2k's and they've all done the same thing!! Slight grind or lack of smoothness first couple gears.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:45 PM

and good tranny fluid will have this problem too..try GM Synchromesh Fricition Modified**..pick 2 quarts up at any gm dealership..good luck
Old 12-02-2006, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by thetz99,Dec 2 2006, 09:40 PM
He doesn't say he grinds, he describes a hesitation, jumpy engagement.
Sounds like the car is chugging when he says his foot starts pumping the gas which makes the chugging worse.

A loose throttle cable gives this chugging symptom (throttle plate opening and closing rapidly)
No offence but I think you are reading WAY to far into this. Read his original post. What your saying does not make sense. The "Pumping" he is describing is his foot bouncing on and off the gas from the rough clutch engagement. Has nothing to do with the throttle cable. If the throttle cable was loose, the car would not "chugg." The only difference would be when you go WOT the butterfly inside the throttle body would not be all the way open. He just needs practice thats all.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:53 AM

Simply patronizing the OP by saying he needs more practice shifting is hardly sage advise. You should read more fix it threads yourself...a loose throttle cable is not just a WOT issue on this car, it is a fix for the symptoms described here.

Also the OP should check the throttle cable path as it loops around the brake master cylinder and make sure it is anchored correctly...
Old 12-03-2006, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by thetz99,Dec 3 2006, 11:53 AM
Simply patronizing the OP by saying he needs more practice shifting is hardly sage advise. You should read more fix it threads yourself...a loose throttle cable is not just a WOT issue on this car, it is a fix for the symptoms described here.

Also the OP should check the throttle cable path as it loops around the brake master cylinder and make sure it is anchored correctly...
The OP statement: "I can start off smooth as silk but when I hit 2nd every time and often 3rd it jolts me so much that my right foot actually starts pumping the gas which makes it that much worse."

Haha im not the only one on this thread saying he needs practice.. Read what others have written. HE HIMSELF is pumping the gas with HIS OWN FOOT. Again this has nothing to do with this throttle cable.... Saying someone needs practice is hardly patronizing. Not everything is a mechanical fix. Sometimes practice is the best method.

I appologise to the OP for the shinanigans going on here but I just dont see a loose throttle cable being the problem here.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:20 PM

Advise has been given, if you can't put your mind around it...oh well
Old 12-03-2006, 12:56 PM

^^^ That might go for everybody on this thread hell, for this forum all together
Old 12-03-2006, 01:06 PM
bky

Try driving without shoes. You'll be able to feel the engagement points and throttle more precisely.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:06 PM

^^ Yeah, I agree. Didnt mean to argue bud, just a difference of opinions.

Quick Reply: Why can't I shift smoothly in this car?