S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

"Whoops?"

Old 08-16-2007, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy "Whoops?"

Around 11pm last night and I'm heading home, following a cop for about 1/2 mile to a stoplight. Light turns red as we both approach, him in the left turn lane, myself to the right turn lane. As I approach the intersection I see that there is a second cop in the left turn lane of the street we are approaching.

<<edit>> Nevermind, my ASCII art diagram won't come out properly <</edit>>

So, my lane gets the green arrow before I'm at the intersection, so I quickly glance both ways before cruising into my right turn. Immediately I see not one, but two sets of flashing lights in my rearview mirrors.

I hit the hazards, tap the mute button and start trying to figure out what the hell they could possibly be pulling me over for. I wasn't speeding at all, since I was following the cop all the way to the intersection. I'm racking my brain and I truly can't come up with anything. About 5 minutes later BOTH the cops approach my car, one from either side (granted, it's dark out, better safe than sorry). The driver's side cop asks for license and insurance. I gladly, and politely, comply, and inquire "Can I ask why?"

The cop gives me a quizzical look and somewhat roughly responds "You don't know?" to which I reply "No sir." He proceeds to point back at the light and exclaim "you blew right through that light, didn't you see it?" to which I reply, "Yes, sir, I had a green arrow." His expression changes, and he replies "You had a green arrow?" To which I reply, "Yes, sir, I did." He looks at me, motions that I can put away my license and says "go ahead, then." I put my wallet away, hit the overhead light, turn off the hazards, and pull away, thoroughly confused. Moments later I realize it's way too quiet and proceed to un-mute the stereo.

In the cops' (that's right, plural... two of them!) defense, it is a new light, but still, I couldn't help but wonder.[FONT=Courier]
Old 08-16-2007, 11:14 AM

Cops are not above making shit up just so the can pull you over. The whole time you we're telling you're story to cop A, cop B was probably looking for beer cans or checking for the smell of
I've had this happen a couple times, you always get a warning, but god help you if you're drunk.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's a new light and they just let you go without at least taking your info., then I'd say it was an honest mistake.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:20 AM

Sounds like an honest mistake to me too.

I woulda gotten out of the car and bashed em with my shoe. That's how I roll.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by gosixers215,Aug 16 2007, 03:16 PM
If it's a new light and they just let you go without at least taking your info., then I'd say it was an honest mistake.
"About 5 minutes later BOTH the cops approach my car"

They don't even walk up without running the plates first. The name matching the licence plate didn't have warrents, and the drivers license had the same name. They checked him.

I don't know if it was an honest mistake or a slow night. Maybe I'm just jaded.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyCB,Aug 16 2007, 12:20 PM
Sounds like an honest mistake to me too.

I woulda gotten out of the car and bashed em with my shoe. That's how I roll.
If you tried that, you'd be rolling all right...

...around on the ground in pain after they beat you silly
Old 08-16-2007, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by __redruM,Aug 16 2007, 03:24 PM
"About 5 minutes later BOTH the cops approach my car"

They don't even walk up without running the plates first. The name matching the licence plate didn't have warrents, and the drivers license had the same name. They checked him.

Of course they are going to run the plates, it's standard safety procedure. I meant that they didn't write up a vehicle investigation report, which is procedure in Philadelphia at least.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by __redruM,Aug 16 2007, 12:24 PM
Yeah, you are. Obviously they saw the red but didn't know the new light had a green arrow signal. They probably also expected him to be drunk, since blowing a red in front of two cops is not something a normal person would do. When they realized their mistake, they let him go.

No biggie.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:55 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds kosher.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by CalBear07,Aug 16 2007, 01:27 PM
If you tried that, you'd be rolling all right...

...around on the ground in pain after they beat you silly
You called my bluff

I have no ill feelings towards cops, and I definitely would never assault one with my footwear.

I considered it yesterday, however, when after my car recently spending 3 weeks in the paint shop after a shipping company damaged it, a young lady threw her car door open into traffic...

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...T&f=1&t=517234

Lucky for her she took responsibility today, after claiming that it was 50/50 fault. Ahem.

Ooops, this thread just reminded me to go fill a police report!

Quick Reply: "Whoops?"