S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Who would be interested in a custom dash?

Old 08-24-2006, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who would be interested in a custom dash?

I am looking to design and build a custom dash for my own car and am wondering if anyone else would be interested in one for their own car because i would certainly have to make a mold using an existing dash. If there are any of you other S2k guys out there that would want one too, I would like to know so that I could decide if I want to make a business out of this or not. So here are a few questions:

1) Should the dash be a replacement? as in, you would have to remove your current dash and move all the components or should it go over your existing dash

2) Should I offer custom painting (which wouldnt take much more work or money) or should it only come in stock colors?

3) What is the absolute most you would pay for the dash?

4) if there can be gauge pods, where should they be and should they be an option or standard?

5) Should there be an option for a place to put a monitor or some other screen?

6) Would anyone be interested in other custom fiberglass interior panels?

This will be fiberglass and probably somewhat difficult to put in. I personally have never taken the dash out of my car but have done many on others due to my experience growing up in a body shop.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

subscibing to this thread, be interesting to see what comes up.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:58 AM

1) Definatly a replacement. Something that goes over top would likely look like crap.

2) I dont get into the custom color thing, so I wouldnt be interested in painting.

3) No idea what it would cost, let's say...$300? $200? I think you'd need to figure out a cost of production and go from there.

4) As for gauges I'd say either to the right of the driver angled towards the driver. Or make a cutout that can accept either a monitor or gauges that way you reduce your tooling costs and dont need as many molds.

5) See above

6) Can't speak for everyone, but I wouldnt.

If I were to buy something like this it would have to look very clean. I think the trick would be making it look like stock, otherwise it will come off a little bit too much Fast and Furious. I dont want people saying "This fools runnin a honda 2-sousand"
Old 08-24-2006, 04:24 AM

The look will remain like stock, no special designs or anything like that. Production wise, If enough are interested, I will only offer it in flat black (unless i get enough requests for special ordered colors) and will mold premade autometer gauge pods into it angled at the driver. There will probably be only 3 pods unless someone else could give me reason to have more than that. So far, Im thinking that the price of this will be somwhere in the range of $600-850 depending on how much it will initially cost me to make a mold
Old 08-24-2006, 04:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you can make all the lights i.e. cluster, tech, numbers, and lighting in the interior as blue or some other color someone would like, instead of the usual orange/red. We had someone do that already but cost was around 600+ and lots of hours. If you can somehow make it cheaper and faster then by all means im in it
Old 08-24-2006, 05:06 AM

looking in my car this morning, i realized that the dash and the door panels were textured, which i have no way of duplicating, so for it to look good, the door panels would have to be the same too. Hopefully I will get some more feedback today...
Old 08-24-2006, 08:20 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

go measure for fit a nsx dash to the car and see what it looks like, i will bet it would be a good fit, that has all the required good stuff.