S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Who is running with out a spare tire?

Old 03-02-2007, 08:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do not use Fix-a-flat. Use Slime.

Fix-a-flat is a dangerous thing to have in a trunk where summer temps can be extremely HIGH and since it's contents are compressed.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:56 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by craigdred,Mar 2 2007, 11:28 AM
Now isnt that the worst *&&(&*& Luck you have heard.
Well, it sucks, but you got a flat tire and you were able to limp the car to service. Doesn't sound THAT bad at all.

Keep in mind that with the flat on the rear, you would have had to jack up the front, put the donut on the front, then jack up the rear and put the front on the rear. THEN limp it to the dealer. That doesn't sound like much fun either.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:29 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Let me first say this: For those of you who do carry a spare and plan on changing out the tire yourself, I would invest in carrying either a large plastic bag (available at any discount tire) or a dedicated nylon bag to keep the dirty wheel away from our leather if you need to put it on the front seat.

OEM wheel/tire should fit in the trunk well provided you do not have a subwoofer there BUT any larger 18" wheel probably won't fit.

The way I have my stereo designed my subwoofer does NOT sit in the well for this number one reason. I also installed my amp over the gas tank so I can still put my spare tire in the stock location on long road trips.

For everyday around town driving I do not carry a spare or jack/tools.

rick
Old 03-02-2007, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Honda put the spare on the passenger side for a reason........the overall balance of the car...........

Since the drivers are always there, meaning the left side of the vehicle could be heavier.....

That's why Honda put the washer fluid jug and the battery on the passenger side to help maintain the balance between 2 sides....

Having the spare tire behind the passenger seat and directly on top of the right rear suspension is like having another light passenger...

I think the spare tire is there to help the balance........

Otherwise Honda made this car so light, they would've put a can of tire fixing chemical or whatever u wanna call that stuff to save even more weight instead of a spare tire...just like the Mazda RX-8
They don't have spare, all they have is that chemical........

Anyways, that's just my thoughts....sorry if I made a wrong suggestion....
Old 03-02-2007, 03:56 PM

And also dont' forget.....most of the weight of S2000 is in the middle of the car...
(between the front and rear suspension/axle)
engine, tranny, battery, washer fluid jug,steering rack, convertable motors, seats, passengers....etc....

I believe it's all engineerd to give the S2000's supreme handling ability....

I did for a short periold of time took my spare out to save some weight, but I met a semi-pro racer...
I put my spare back right the way, and that's what he told me is the weight distrubition of the S2000....everything is calculated, engineered.....

He asked me why do lots of expert drivers say S2000 handle so good, and of course I said " I don't know..............."

He told me it's the weight....where are weights are...
He gave me a good example...

Imagine u have 2 40lbs sand bags and you wanna turn with the sand bag....

1) strap 1 on ur stomach and the other 1 on ur back, and to try in circles and make suddenly direction change

2) do the same thing, but this time, instead put the sand bags on u, put them on a 10 feet long stick, and 1 sand bag on each end....and try to turn and make direction change

Of course #1 will be easier.........and that's why Honda engineers put most of the weight between the suspension/axle, even the engine....

Since the drivers side will always have a driver, under-dash components, steering columns..the left side of the vehicle will be heavier....

So I believe keeping the spare in the car will help to balance out the weight of the vehicle.......so it's not gonna be 1 side is so much heavier than the other (if u don't have a passenger with u)
Old 03-02-2007, 05:03 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If you get an alignment after you have removed the spare you will be fine.

They have to account for all types of people as the driver. I doubt highly that a 10lbs tire is meant to offset both a 120lb driver and a 200lbs driver.

Also, 18" wheels, 17" wheels, 16" wheels, should all have the same OVERALL rolling radius with a tire mounted and fit to an S2000 properly. So your 18" wheel should fit just as well as the stock AP1 wheel.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would consider removing it if it was a full spare but we're talking about 10 lbs? My lunch this afternoon weighed more.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by kentarou,Mar 2 2007, 07:22 PM
Anyways, that's just my thoughts....sorry if I made a wrong suggestion....
Don't worry about it. Right or wrong, suggestions like your's spark conversation that others can learn from and enjoy. It makes sense that something that is as finely balanced as an S2000 might be easliy upset by any imbalance, but the spare tire and tool kit just doesn't weigh that much. It's like one driver weighing 10 lbs. more than another. Sure, it does make some small difference in the way a given car will perform, but the difference will be so small that it will always be swamped by other factors.

S-Factor, I'd consider carrying a spare if there was room for a full size tire and wheel, but on my car the donut spare is useless. The space serves me better housing the ICPC.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't carry the spare simply because it kills the little trunk space I already have. That hump is annoyingly inconvenient.

Combine that with the potential situation of getting a flat in a rear tire...then moving tires back and forth...using the little honda jack...no thanks. I'll just call a tow truck.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't carry it... the tire space was better used for an amp

I have fix-a-flat for minor problems... anything worse and I'll call AAA.