S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Who is running with out a spare tire?

Old 09-11-2006, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep the spare. If the flat is to the front than I'll change it. If it's on the back probably would call AAA.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:29 AM

Exactly what I said!
Old 09-11-2006, 06:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No spare for me, just a can of fix-a-flat for until I can replace the tire.

One word of caution, having had a 944 Porsche lowered with a front splitter, if you have to be towed make sure 2 things. First they are bringing a flat bed (most places will, but if you're stuck on vacation or something in a little town, make sure you specify you need a flat bed when you call insurance). Two, make sure you also specify when calling that you want the driver to have a set of boards for loading your car, they will help emensly and are the only way to get lowered cars onto a flatbed without damaging the front or rear bumpers (unless ofcourse they have the very rare hydraulic lift-back trucks, but the won't). Also expect to have to sign a paper saying that they are not responsable for any damages caused to your car due to the fact that it has a body-kit and/or is lowered.

Basically, if you need to be towed just remember, boards, boards, boards!
Old 09-11-2006, 08:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run tools and spare tire ALL the time I go out of town, if I need to remove it for weight reduction it will be for the track but that's it.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:38 AM

I have a spare and I've used it. I ran over a sharp piece of metal or a large nail and slashed my rear tire while on the way to work. I drove off the freeway and called the tow truck. I was a little worried about driving on the flat, but the RE050 is very sturdy and the rim wasn't damaged.

The tow driver was very nice about taking the front off, and putting it on the rear and the spare on the front. It didn't take long. But I couldn't fit the rear tire in the trunk, so it had to go in the front seat. I'd rather have a dirty tire in the front seat than have my car towed to a shop, especially if I'm not there.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by CARNUTMAMA,Sep 11 2006, 12:38 PM
I couldn't fit the rear tire in the trunk, so it had to go in the front seat.
If you take the tool kit out of the trunk and put it in the front seat, the tire should fit in the trunk.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:10 AM

Took it out the minute I bought the car. Never run any spares in my cars but than again I have AAA. So all I have to do is give them a call if anything happens and they get me. So far nothing has happened to me or any of my cars, really pay attention to whats around me and avoid construction where ever possible. Later.

Mike
Old 09-11-2006, 10:15 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Sep 11 2006, 12:07 PM
If you take the tool kit out of the trunk and put it in the front seat, the tire should fit in the trunk.
Actually, you put the tool tray in the space where the spare came out of. Then nothing extra needs to go into the seat.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Sep 11 2006, 10:07 AM

It's supposed to go there! Says so in the manual

I'm running without one right now, for no real reason, just to see what all of the fuss is about. I'm going to put it back on until I get AAA again and a can of Fix-A-Flat.

I did however measure how much the tools and spare weighed and it was 35lbs.

The air box lid weighs about 1lb.

So near empty I'd be about 100lbs lighter!!! Woooo!

Can't "weight" to get an exhaust and header and other lighter things!

Old 03-02-2007, 08:28 AM

I have the most unluck story. I have been contemplating removing my spare tire from my trunk because I never in my life have needed a spare. This morning, I decided to take it out because I needed space for a big bag (that hump in the trunk liner is a pain). I am telling you that every car I have ever owned, I have never needed my spare...ever.

I am now off to work. Within a half mile of my house, I run over a piece of metal on the road and all I hear is BAAAM...Next thing, my rear starting to feel a little loose. I pull over and shit.................A F%$%$#ING FLAT TIRE. The metal put a gash in my side wall. I was able to drive slow to my Honda Dealer to get the tire changed. (The good thing with my car is that the tire never went down to zero. I was able to drive slow for a bit)

In the end, I changed both tires because I was 3/10s on the other rear so I couldnt deal with a new and old scenario which would unbalance my tire changingv schedule.

Now isnt that the worst *&&(&*& Luck you have heard.

SUCKS!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Who is running with out a spare tire?