S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Who "really" paid MSRP?

Old 11-17-2000, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After meeting with 2-3 other owners, all of whom purchased their cars in diffrent places and at diffrent times, I have come to the conclusion that MSRP is hard to find!
We all paid a premium for the car, anywhere from 2,000 to 4,500 over.
I was happy to pay 2,000 over, in the form of an extended warranty, which I can and will cancel for a refund.
All in all its a great car and honda could have charged 38K for the car, and still sold it (a better radio would have made it an easy sell at 38)
Let the arguments begin!!!
Old 11-17-2000, 10:20 AM

I got mine for 36,500. But after options and TTL it came out to 40,500. So I paid a lot but it was also the best price that I could find in Dallas. But I'd do it again to...and again...and again...
Old 11-17-2000, 10:23 AM

I paid exactly MSRP for the car. If I remember, it was 32,300.

But I live in new england.

If anyone wants one, call Liz Tilden Sampson at Lorenz Honda in Greenfield, MA. Tell her Steve G. sent you please.
Old 11-17-2000, 10:25 AM

Got mine for $700 over MSRP. The $700 was for the dealer's undercoating job. A rip off for sure but $700 over was the best deal I could find and it was a local dealer. Ordered in March and the car came arrived the first week of June. Could of had their May car but it wasn't the color combo I wanted (black/black)
Old 11-17-2000, 10:30 AM

I got my for MSRP two days ago.
Old 11-17-2000, 10:31 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid sticker, but the car was loaded with so-called "forced options" ... that, well, I would have gotten them anyway. But yes, I paid sticker, but the options were at a huge markup.

Oh well!

Old 11-17-2000, 10:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I paid MSRP + $388 "dealer fee" + list price on floor mats and the aeroscreen ($60 & $265?). I think it was a very good deal. Of course the dealer had 2 cars in the showroom, and buying the car on January 2nd (before the end of the dealer's fiscal year) may have helped .
Old 11-17-2000, 10:37 AM

RossoS2K,

Depends on timing and location. When the car first came out, MSRP was difficult, no matter where the location was. Although some managed to purchase it at MSRP even at the beginning. Dealers here in the northeast would not budge from premium of at least $2000. I started looking at the S about a year ago. Dealers just would not come down to my offering price of MSRP. So I waited, and waited and waited.... until now. Sept 2000 was when I first encountered MSRP asking price from dealers (Mahwah Honda in NJ and Curry Honda in Westchester NY). But by that time I was not willing to pay sticker anymore. I was offering 31,000. Finally got my car for 31,200. So not only is MSRP possible now, but below MSRP is very possible. Maybe not on the new 2001s just yet, but give it a few weeks on the lot and anything is possible. Just like someone else stated on another thread, when all the circumstances are right, it can be done.
Old 11-17-2000, 10:40 AM

I paid $32,440. The $440 was dealer prep or frieght or some other bullshyt. They also tried to jib me like they did Greg with all of the double markup add on's like windscreen, floormats, blah. Thank goodness for this forum where I found the web addresses for the online places which I got the items for LESS than MSRP - and found Mingster's aeroscreen!

The other 3 Honda dealers in my area were all charging between 5-9 grand "dealer markup", but they were kind enough to tell me that was "negotiable" and they've been "letting them go" for sometimes as little as $4000 markup. Oh, thanks, shall I lube up before you penetrate? Now, if all the dealers in an area are doing that, that's another thing, but there were two charging $32,440, no forced options and in stock.

Go figure.

The one dealer called me back after I took delivery from David Hobbs, told me they only had one left - they had shipped thier other 2 to New York. It was almost as much pleasure telling her I already had one and at MSRP as driving my new baby home that first day!
Old 11-17-2000, 10:47 AM

The west coast is the worst!

a dealer turned down 35k for a silver/black in his showroom. Told me he would not budge from his 10k over sticker, because the car WOULD sell at that price. and they also low-balled my Corvette as a trade in.

Of course, dealers here tack on 990 bucks for market adjustment on a CIVIC!!!

It just re-inforced the point I took when I bought my Corvette (from out of state) that I would not ever buy a new car from a local dealer.

And whats with the blue book lately? Seems a few high end cars have ludicrous resale values (Corvette, M3). MSRP on my Vette was like 43k when it was new (I got it for under). I had it 15 months, and according to KBB the retail value was 46k!!! What, I can drive the car for over a year and get more than I paid? Dont think so.

E36 M3s seem that way too. a 97 M3 with somewhat low miles shows up as retailing for 38k... wasnt that like a 42k car new?

I guess it will be fun when KBB has compiled results for the S2000 to see what trade-in/retail prices will be.

I expect some pretty high numbers...

Quick Reply: Who "really" paid MSRP?