S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Who has replaced the oil bolt problem in there s?

Old 05-28-2003, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has replaced the oil bolt problem in there s?

I just read a couple threads about the jet oil bolt problem, engine failures, and class action lawsuits, and it has me a bit worried. My factory warranty just ran up and Im kind of worried. I never want to have this issue to happen to me.

My car is a MY2000. It has been into the dealership a couple times because of the check engine light coming on. It was an "intermittent" problem which turned out to be some emissions sensor which they just replaced. So far it has been ok. the car ran fine with the light on and I haven't noticed any ticking, so hopefully that's all it was.

What do you all suggest? What is involved in swapping the oil bolt and how much would they charge?
Thanks for you help
Old 05-28-2003, 04:58 PM

Oh and my vin # ends with 007536
could my car be one of the ones that is effected.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:01 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Jimbo, the problem was not fixed until mid-year MY'02, so all previous cars have the older oil jet bolt.

Very few engines, though, have actually been affected by cylinder scoring. There's no way to know.

PM xviper and Barry WY... There are a couple of threads around from folks who did the work.

I'll point out right now that the oil bolt has not been confirmed by Honda to be the root cause of cylinder damage. In fact, one of our members who is a HOnda employee denied any relationship...
Old 05-28-2003, 05:25 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I just visited with Barry out in Sheridan WY, and he told me about the problem. I think the bolt cost was $278 and not covered by warranty in the US; his dealer told him that cost might be refunded if there is a future tech bulleting issued in the US.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:29 PM

Unfortunately, there's no sign at all that AHM will release a tech bulletin on the bolt replacement, pa. The Some of the Europeans got it (Holland first, I believe), but some justification about "driving habits being different" or some such crapola was presented as a reason not to deploy in North America.

Anyway, good luck, guys. I think if I had the old bolts, I'd do the swap. My dealer has shown way more competence than others around the board have experienced.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:12 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chazmo
[B]Unfortunately, there's no sign at all that AHM will release a tech bulletin on the bolt replacement, pa.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:36 PM

Yup. One of the owners, Ronald, from Holland did the same, but his was in Dutch. He translated it though.

If you look through the #4 cylinder scoring threads, you'll find something, pa. Best wishes!
Old 05-28-2003, 08:09 PM

so they are unrelated? what about this scoring issue? how many s2000's does this effect?
Old 05-28-2003, 08:20 PM

Jimbo, guys,

I followed the threads for several months during this debate last summer.

There was never any firm evidence or correlating statement from Honda that the oil jet bolt was (or was not) responsible for cylinder scoring. The scoring was assumed to be due to bad oil flow in the #4 cylinder, but I don't recall anyone stating that as fact.

Barry WY has a thread which tracks the history all of the owners who were willing to share with him the status of their short block replacements, most due to scoring. Some of these guys found the dealers crated up their engines and shipped them to Japan for analysis. I think most got their engines fixed on warranty.

Anyway, the subject is complex, and I can only tell you (as an engineer myself) that without knowing the root cause for the scoring problem, we cannot make any deduction about why Honda chose to change the 2-hole oil bolts to 4-hole bolts. I believe there have been one or two incidents of scoring on engines with the bolt replacements, but I'm not sure.

I'll simply say that I don't think you can go wrong with replacing the bolts. If Honda saw fit to sub in a new part in the assembly process of new engines as well as (at least in some regions) do a retrofit, then there's gotta be some justification.
Old 05-28-2003, 08:45 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There has been such a tremendous debate on the necessity of N. American cars having the new bolts put in. I won't add to the debate but only elaborate on what is involved in getting them and changing them. If you order oil jet bolts now, you will automatically get the new ones with the 4 holes instead of your MY'00 that has only 2 holes. Another board member was extremely kind to me and got my bolts via a contact in Switzerland. My final cost was only about 20 bucks Canadian per bolt (you need 4). Call your dealer to find out what they will charge you. They may be closer to 25 bucks U.S. each.
The oil pan must be removed and the mating surfaces scraped clean of old gasket material. Then the oil baffle plate must be removed. The engine must be hand cranked for each bolt in order to get the "big end" out of the way. The actual bolt change only takes about 15 minutes with the proper tools. Then the oil pan must be "sealed" and re-installed, let stand for about an hour or two for the seal to cure before pouring oil back in. I'm guessing the oil pan can be back in place in about an hour, then wait another hour before putting the oil in, so calculate a couple of hours shop time even though they won't be working on it the whole time.

Quick Reply: Who has replaced the oil bolt problem in there s?