S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Who has painted the bulbs after clearing headlights?

Old 01-12-2002, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has painted the bulbs after clearing headlights?

Alright, I read a post that someone bought orange bulbs after they cleared their headlights and then painted them silver to blend in. They said it was a little more dim but still effective and that it didn't blind anyone anymore. Well, I bought the bulbs today and tried to paint them with heat-resistant aluminum paint. I guess that was kind of stupid because the light would not even show through. I even painted very lightly. The bulbs were ruined and I had to throw them away. Please help, some kind of advice, I don't know what to do Thanks. Brandon
Old 01-13-2002, 03:01 AM

That's 2KTurkey ... If I'm not wrong, but why don't you just get some Philips Silvervision or whatever they're called that come in silver when not lit and the desired color when current is given?

Old 01-13-2002, 03:30 AM

why not just bulbs painted in different colors??
Old 01-13-2002, 06:59 AM

The ones that are silver but light up orange require new sockets and in the end with cost me over $50 bucks. Just not worth it for light bulbs

I tried painting the bulbs but I coated it a little too much. I need maybe more of JUST a mist of paint I guess. That's my project for today.

Thanks Guys Brandon
Old 01-13-2002, 07:06 AM

Painting the bulbs is not a good idea - it makes the bulb run hotter and probably reduce it's lifespan - it is possible to get lights that glow a different color (yellow, orange etc).
Old 01-13-2002, 07:17 AM

Yes, but the only ones made like that require a different socket I don't know what to do, still debating Thanks Brandon
Old 01-13-2002, 07:38 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bjechols
[B]Yes, but the only ones made like that require a different socket I don't know what to do, still debating Thanks
Old 01-13-2002, 09:41 AM

Silvervision bulbs are not made yet for the wedge style socket that the US s2000 utilizes. The trick with using the amber bulbs and then painting them is to first buy a chrome silver style paint from a local auto store, then on one side of the bulb, the side that will face down, place a 1/4" piece of maskink tape down the side. Also tape the contact area so no paint adheres to this part. After painting and drying time of at least two hours, carefully remove the tape. The opening which faces down when installed lets plenty of amber light through to be reflected by the bottom reflectors in the light housing
Old 01-13-2002, 12:51 PM

Thanks M3! I'll do that tonight. Brandon
Old 01-13-2002, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by s2ktaxi
There must be some out there with the same socket that are different colors ... what do they use in Japan and Europe?
JDM uses the 2 pin type of socket bulb unlike the wedge bulb I prefer very much ... and I hate the 2 pin type of socket, but I got blue replacements nevertheless.

Quick Reply: Who has painted the bulbs after clearing headlights?