S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Who has the most horsepower on their S2000?

Old 08-26-2001, 07:46 AM
Sev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cjb80
[B]How would they be more whiney???
Old 08-26-2001, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sev, it is 1Randyc not RandyP. RandyP is another guy.
If you have the Comptech supercharger, you don't need to worry about any gear whine noise that you may get from doing ATS gear in the secondary transmission.
Why? The dang supercharger is noisy and its whine will overcome any extra noises that I use to get prior to supercharger.
And with Mugen's vented carbon fiber bonnet, the engine noise gets even louder to the point of explosion( which I like ) and all that with stock exaust system still.
And even though costly it(ATS or any other final gear change) is a good compliment to Comptech supercharger since the surge of power will not come until the tach passes 6K mark. I understand why many might be disappointed because the car still drives pretty much same and needs to be shifted the same way because you need to be in the vtec zone to really get some power. Also keep in mind that the supercharger generates extreme heat so you may receive less power after some extended hard runs under hot summer day. So if you have vented hood like me, it can really help cool things down a little.
But investing on an intercooler will really may do wonder.

The real big problem with doing the final drive change is the speedo/odometer error which none of us wants especially in the error in odometer. And based on one members recommendation of trying out $145 Electronic ratio adapter didn't work out well. Basically the thing needs to be placed well away from heat source and the wires from VSS(vehicle speed sensor) cannot be cut no more than 6inches from the sensor. This left me and my mechanic with works that neither of us wants to do, custom work of drilling and cutting(too many wires bunched up together may also induce idiot lights if cut improperly or if simply doesn't work). Although some brave ones may try and succeed, I didn't have enough guts to try and fail miserably, it may work on American cars but not on high precision wonder machinery from Japan. But I am crossing my fingers that someone will come out with better, proper and fitting solution to correcting the speedo/odo error.
I get the strange feeling that correcting the errors will make my car perform better since initially upon installing final gears, for some days my car surged ahead in really unbelievable manner but with time it somehow slowed down though still whole lot better than when I had it stock.
Old 08-26-2001, 03:48 PM
Sev

Sorry about that, just confused you two guys for a moment.
Old 08-26-2001, 05:52 PM

Actually Sev, upon second thought, you are just transferring the launch stress from the differential to the transmission by going with the bigger reduction gear instead of the bigger rear end gear. Transmissions are way more expensive to rebuild than differentials, so it may not be the best move, but experimentation is the only way to be sure.
Old 08-27-2001, 07:01 AM
Sev

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2kRob
[B]Actually Sev, upon second thought, you are just transferring the launch stress from the differential to the transmission by going with the bigger reduction gear instead of the bigger rear end gear.
Old 08-27-2001, 07:42 AM

I have about 27,000 miles with ATS final gears and it seems to be doing fine job. This include couple of trips to the drag strip, track, auto X, extended high rpm cruising(staying at 5Krpm trip to Asheville). Surprisingly, a combo of ATS and Mugen ECU, revving to 2-2.5K was enough to give good dose of wheel spin launch without bogging down at the strip.
This is my recommendation again for people tired of lack of low-end grunt and bogging. Do the final gear and Mugen ECU.
Old 08-27-2001, 07:49 AM

Well I've found some Supra TT's that will fit my budget and some even have a nice set of rims on them. Witch can get expensive seeing as how 18's are as small a rim as I would go on such a large car. Plus the 10" width for the back tires adds $$$.

I guess I'll get the Supra unless I talk to the Venom and NOS guys. I think a cold air intake, custom 3'' exhaust with nothing but glass tips, custom headers, some fuel controll options (injectors, fuel rail, pumps, controllers...) and a Venom computer module that say's that they put a 25-30% increase in power plus a NOS setup of about a 50 shot will help me kill most Mustangs, Firebirds and Camaros. Witch would be no problem for the Supra. What do you guys think? Or even with all this will my gearing be all f*cked up?
Old 08-27-2001, 08:02 AM

Thats the wrong route to take with the supra. My 94 tt, dynoed at 440 rwhp and did the quarter in 12.3@ 120 on street tires, with a 2.1-2.2 60 foot. Thus the car was good for 11 no problem if i could hook up. With the only power adders being, a downpipe (removal of the cats), EBC (running 18psi), exhaust, intake, and cam sprokets. Granted you should aslo get, boost gauge, egt gauge, a/f monitor, blowoff valve, fcd and thats about it. I also picked up 2mph with a getech with the addition of a fields fuel controler, but never had the chance to dyno or take it to the track with it. Anyhow, that car can have 400rwhp, with 1200 in mods. Go to mkiv.com, and the www.suprastore.com. They sell a package for i think 1200 which gives you 400rwhp. And its no lie. The supra is amazing. By the way, i put 30000 miles on that car pushing 400+rwhp, without one problem. Get the supra if your looking for any kind of speed. Biggest mistake for selling the car. However if your not looking for speed, get the s2k. I have gone through a boxster, slk, and 3 series since the supra, and the only car, that gives me any where near the enjoyment as the supra has been the S2k. Good luck, you will be happy with either.
Old 08-27-2001, 10:03 AM
Sev

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Drag'nS2K
[B]Well I've found some Supra TT's that will fit my budget and some even have a nice set of rims on them. Witch can get expensive seeing as how 18's are as small a rim as I would go on such a large car.
Old 08-27-2001, 04:58 PM

You sound like the Supra would clearly be a better car for you. Not only can you get much more HP, and more cheaply, but you can do so reliably and the drivetrain can hold up to it. I prefer my S2000 over my old BPU++ Supra TT, but drag racing isn't my thing. I really did love that car, though, and wish I could keep both. They also handle and brake really well, but they're not as agile as the S2k.

Just be careful, a high HP Supra can bite hard if you don't know what you're doing (mine scared me a few times)!

Quick Reply: Who has the most horsepower on their S2000?