S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Who has the most horsepower on their S2000?

Old 08-24-2001, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has the most horsepower on their S2000?

Okay. I have the choice between a Supra TT or a S2000. And I've been importing since I was 16, so the movie "The Fast and the Furious" has little to do with my choice of new cars.

I LOVE the Supra. But parts can get very costly. I drove a S2000 today and the man had another salesman who had turbo'd the car when he first got it and now wishes that he hadn't. He said that 6psi. is about all he could hold. But the Celica GT-S has a compresion of 11.5:1 and it ran a 8.5psi. to get 140 more horses. So the turbo thing is questionable.

I know that there was talk of someone on this board that had near or over 400hp. on their S2000. If there is anyone on here that has had good success with uping the hp that much will you please give me the list of the things that you've put on it and what you're car has been dyno'd at? This will finalize my decision between the 2 cars.

I also heard that NOS will not work very well on the car. Is this true? I do know that the movies lie sometimes. But is there anyone with a 50 shot or more on their car right now?

As you can see I am extremely interested in the "raceability" of the car. I love to see Mustang GT's looking at me in shock.

Thank you for helping me with this.
Old 08-24-2001, 08:17 PM

Oh. And if you could list the price for each part, that would be helpful.

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2001, 12:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tough choice. Personally, I'd choose the S2k but I'm kinda biased. The Supra has gotten a little played out, but then again it's soooooo easy to add power to them. Add exhaust and upgrade the turbos and you'd smoke a S2k. They also have a little more room than us, however that makes it a bigger car. Both are rwd. Keep in mind that I don't know anybody with SC or turbo'd S2k, but my mechanic says that it could easily handle 6psi, maybe even 8psi.
Personally, I think that nitrous is the way to go if your only looking to race on the drag strip. It's quick and easy and you only use it when you need it. Nitrous has gotten a bad rap in the past, but mainly because of the idiots that installed the system. If you install it correctly, you should have no problems. A 50 shot should be no problem, maybe even an 80 or 100 shot, but I personally wouldn't go any higher than that. You might want to check out the Atomic Performance website. They've already put a turbo system together for a S2k. Personally, I'm gonna go turbo. It's just too expensive to go the NA route. Keep in mind that this is only my opinion. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-25-2001, 04:53 AM

I think you are more concerned about the drag ability of a car... S2k is not the car for you. Parts for the S2000 aren't exactly cheap. $1500 for headers, $1300 for exhaust, $850 for intake....

-Shing
Old 08-25-2001, 06:22 AM
S2R

Supra will suit your power quest better.
Old 08-25-2001, 06:45 AM

Well the S2000 has lightness on its side. Being 600lb+ less than a Supra isn't a bad thing.

Engine development on the S2000 is still very much a work in progress, but if you've got the cash, and some patience, in the next year there will be a good number of products hitting the market.

If all you care about is outright speed and acceleration, the Supra is the better choice for you.
Old 08-25-2001, 07:05 AM

Just for the record I plan to be spanking highly modified Supras in a drag race in my s2k
Old 08-25-2001, 07:08 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check your PM.
Old 08-25-2001, 08:18 AM

I was in the same situation as yourself, I really wanted a Supra TT, but I couldnt find one. Then I test drove an S2000 and it was all over. Ive only had an S2k for about 1400 miles, but I love it SOOO much.

HOWEVER, this is NOT a drag car! Do more searches on this web site. The car is more difficult to launch. Also, a few people have broken their differentials from hard launches (6K+ rpm clutch dumps). So to make an S2K a drag car, you'll probably want a more heavy-duty clutch/pressure plate, a beefier diff, and stronger set of new rear axles just to be safe. Some have changed the gearing to something even higher than 4.1:1 to I believe a 4.4:1 to get more torque with good results. All of these drivetrain upgrades will cost a lot of $$ and you even havent touched the engine, where parts are fairly expensive.

If you want pure power to shake down those Rustangs, I suggest the Supra, plus its still such a beautiful car. You want the viscreal feel of 9000rpms, and GREAT handling through the curves, get an S2K. Good luck on your choice.
Old 08-25-2001, 06:26 PM

Thanks guys. I loved driving the S2000. The open top and sheer look of the car is nice.

I know that parts won't be too expensive within the next year or so. When companies started producing parts for my '00 Celica they were charging alot because all you could get was whatever it was that they made at what ever price they felt like charging. Then as more options came out the prices droped and the people began to look at the hp gains vs. price.

I hate the idea that the car is so awesome and feared by other importers but wasn't meant to be raced. But I guess other importers don't realize that they have more of a chance at beating one than they think. That's if the S2k has a poor launch. I have raced another Celica and won purely because I know how to launch a car. I think that a 13.8 1/4 mile time is really great for the S2k, but it needs to be in the 12's. If I can run 12's I'll get one. Garanteed.

Where is a list of S2k proucts? One that lists price, company, ect....

Quick Reply: Who has the most horsepower on their S2000?