S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Who else here would prefer a coupe?

Old 02-25-2017 | 07:47 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Old racer
Well you could add a hardtop, or even worse a folding hardtop convertible roof, with all that extra weight.

But why only go that far. Why not add a rear seat & a couple more doors, move the transmission to the front, & drive the front wheels while you're at it.

Why not just buy the Civic & be done with it. Oh I know, you want the fashion statement of the sporty little car, just not the car.

The reason I have the S2000 is because it was the only modern convertible that was more drivers car than posers car. I guess there are more posers than drivers, hence all the coupes.

Point taken, but I really like the functionality of the fastback design while retaining the performance. It reminds me of my old 280Z which was the same body as the 240Z. I loved that car, but the S is a better performer stock by a long shot. I just would love to have the best of both cars.
Old 02-25-2017 | 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Old racer
Well you could add a hardtop, or even worse a folding hardtop convertible roof, with all that extra weight.

But why only go that far. Why not add a rear seat & a couple more doors, move the transmission to the front, & drive the front wheels while you're at it.

Why not just buy the Civic & be done with it. Oh I know, you want the fashion statement of the sporty little car, just not the car.

The reason I have the S2000 is because it was the only modern convertible that was more drivers car than posers car. I guess there are more posers than drivers, hence all the coupes.
I feel like that's a broad statement. Some people just like having the solid roof, hence if you can't keep it in a garage etc. Also would we call the Cayman not a drivers car because it is a coupe?
Old 02-25-2017 | 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by 879
I feel like that's a broad statement. Some people just like having the solid roof, hence if you can't keep it in a garage etc. Also would we call the Cayman not a drivers car because it is a coupe?
No because it's a Porsche. I have seen a lot of cars being thrashed through our border ranges, but never yet a Porsche.

I live 70 kilometres from a 3.5 million population city. It is right on one of the the club Sunday drive circuits.
We see most of them, ranging from the Topless Yank club, [50s to 70s US convertibles] through vintage to Porsche & the super car groups. A little further & there is some great twisty road driving, through the ranges.

My Triumph club gets out into those twisties regularly, as do many of us privately. Out there we often run into other enthusiastic driving clubs, rather than the Sunday cruisers clubs. We often see the MG club, the Nissan, Lotus, Mini Minor, Morgan owners, even the Toyota club, & a few others.

What we never see are the Buick, Topless Yankee, Super car, Bentley, or the Porsche clubs, or many others. It appears the owners of these cars prefer a gentle drive in the country side, with a pleasant drive followed by lunch.

That is fine, but you would be a bit silly to buy an S2000 if you wanted nice drives in the country, with a long lunch at a fashionable hilltop restaurant, where you & your car will be seen. Much better buy a Cayman or a Ferrari for that. An S2000 is far from the best choice for this.
Old 02-25-2017 | 03:59 PM
Community Organizer

^^^ Totally agree, this car is ultimately a back roads curve carver and best with the top down on a sunny day.

I do stop for lunch during my drives though, not usually on a hilltop.
Old 02-25-2017 | 07:40 PM

The reason I would want a coupe would be if the S2000 lacked rigity. I have a '95 3 Series convertible that shakes over rr tracks. I've driven Saab convertibles that tried to rattle themselves apart over minor imperfections. Even my NSX-T has a little wiggle through the steering wheel when taking a rough corner at high speeds. But the S2000 is amazingly rigid. So it has none of the drawbacks typically found in a convertible. Especially once the glass back window came in 2002 (mine's a 2003). Even the top is laughably easy to lower and raise. It's definitely the most "coupe-like" convertible I own.

Last edited by Bamafan; 02-25-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-26-2017 | 01:54 AM

I would prefer it if the S2 was a coupe, my hardtop stays on 24/7 365. In the 5 years I have owned my car I have only had the top down maybe 3 times ! ok the weather in the UK is often shit but if I see a bloke of my age in a sports car with the top down I just think dick head (no offence meant to those who prefer this) maybe in sunny California it works, but in the UK ??
Old 02-26-2017 | 02:22 AM
20 Year Member

OP you can always consider finding an OEM or other hard top and just keep it on. From what I hear it makes the car more coupe like.

As for me, I love that the S is a convertible. I had a coupe before but one top down drive and I was sold.
Old 02-26-2017 | 06:08 AM
5 Year Member

Default Thought so, but now, no

I've never been a fan of convertibles or even sunroofs. I've lived most of my life in the south, so the summer months are too hot and humid to make much use of either. My previous car was an '04 RX8 with a motorized sunroof. In the 12 years & 120k miles that I owned the car, I used the sunroof a few dozen times. I was forced to look for a new ride when my RX8 was hit by a driver pulling out of a parking lot and totaled. Since my kids have grown up and I no longer need a back seat, I decided on a used S. I bought a Suzuka Blue '06 with 49k mailes.

I may change my mind once I get through the first Texas summer, but I've actually enjoyed dropping the top on a number of occasions through the "winter".
Old 02-26-2017 | 12:00 PM

If Honda ever does a new S2000, I'd prefer it as a coupe. I'd like the higher performance (top up is worth nearly 10 mph at the end of the front straight at TWS.) I'd like the reduced wind noise (it's the intake/engine/exhaust noise I really like.) I'd like the protection from the sun. I'd like the even greater stiffness. A great bonus would be enough room to throw four race tires in the back, like I did with my Integra.

I would miss top-down cruising the mountains, but overall a coupe is my preference.
Old 02-28-2017 | 02:19 PM

Cool

Convertible camp for me. I love being able to drive top down half the year, the other half it's in storage anyway. In the summer, I drive top down pretty much all the time unless it's raining, sometimes in the rain if I'm already going lol.

Originally Posted by uh0h50
I will say that I do love top-down driving in the S2000. It's an amazing experience. However, the practicality (as practical as you can get with a 2-seater) of a fixed-top would be more efficient than a convertible. I do wish Honda offered the version below.

This is one sexy looking design.
But damn does that look good! the rear half has a Porsche vibe to it.

I will say for me, the perfect option would be a power retractable hardtop, or even better... Targa

Quick Reply: Who else here would prefer a coupe?