S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.
View Poll Results: Do you do you own maintenance?
All repairs and maintenance
18.40%
Most repairs and all maintenance
32.80%
All scheduled maintenance
8.80%
Fluid and filter changes only
16.80%
Oil changes only
4.00%
Some maintenance, when I have the time
8.00%
None, I let the shop do everything
11.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Who does their own maintenance?

Old 02-05-2005, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do most work myself, unless it is free warranty work. I have done all mods myself except installing the clutch.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my S2000 used with about 25,000 miles on the odometer. Since I wasn't sure about the maintenance status, my lovely, accommodating, wife and I took the car to a lift and did the full Monty. We changed the oil, the differential fluid and transmission fluid. We replaced the brake and clutch fluid. We completed every required service and inspection listed in the owners manual through the three year point. The entire job took about two hours and cost a grand total of about $60.00 US for fluids, filters, tools I didn't have, and the lift rental. How much do you think a dealer would charge for that service?

I wouldn't mind supporting my local dealer if his prices were reasonable, but $375.00 for an oil change and some visual inspections that are probably not performed anyway is highway robbery! At least I know what was actually done to the car and I know where to look if I screwed something up.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:43 AM

I don't do any of my own work - not because I can't but because we have a s2ki member (Billman250) with a shop that gives discounts to other members.
Yes, doing it myself would be cheaper, but Bill is extremely skilled and treats each customer's car as if it were his own.
If I didn't have access to Bill I would probably do my own fluids and pads. Beyond that I'd be out of my league and head for the dealer.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow - I'm the first the girl to respond! I am proud to say that I've done pretty much everything to my car in the year & a half that I've had it. For some things, I was assisted by other South Florida club members, but did a majority of the work after being shown what to do. Personally, I love it! There's nothing more fun than jacking the car up, sliding under it, and taking a look-see at what's going on!

By the way, yesterday I did my first solo oil change w/ no help/supervision by other club members! Go me!
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=266732

It was fun, I saved a good chunk of change, and reinforced that even 100 pound girly-girls can work on cars!

Old 02-06-2005, 03:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeniac' date='Feb 6 2005, 03:38 AM
The poll tells the story for S2k enthusiasts on this site (less than 10% have a shop do all the work). Most enthusiasts I know personally put their faith in themselves more than a pimply faced kid that is just filling time until a better job comes around. I empathise with your plight, but personally I value my car enough to make sure at least the standard maintenance is done right.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to do a oil change or brake pad replacement. The S2000 is not a complicated automobile, in fact it is a wonderful car to work on in general compared to many cars out on the market today. Reciepts and a log book are no less proof than a stamp in a book. I also recommend to prospective buyers of any car or motorcycle I have sold to take the car to any shop they want to and have the car thoroughly inspected before they purchase it.

Do you honestly believe that independent shops don't have the capability to do routine maintenance? Come on Beardie, you have got to be kidding!

I don't know about the UK, but here there are a number of independent shops that specialize in performance cars that are much more knowledgable about the S2000 than many Honda dealers. Read some of the threads how the Honda Dealer put the wrong differential fluid in owners cars who trusted their dealer to maintenance of the their car.

From what I have heard of dealer serviced maintenance costs for your car, you would have spent far more on maintenance than you would ever hope to recover from having your book of stamps.

BTW, I don't view the S2K any differently that I did my Triumphs and MG's. The S2K it is every bit as much an enthusiast car as the British classics and the same type of people are interested in both.

My TR-6 was a daily driver as well and although I did have some annoying electrical problems at times, I was never left stranded on the side of the road and because of the very simple technology used with the 6, I was able to do all the maintenance and repairs myself.

I grew up in Western Canada and during the winters the Triumph would start and run up to about 15-20 below farentheit, after that unless the car was sheltered, the fuel would not vapourize through the Stromberg carbs and would flood, so for about 4 to 6 weeks of the year I had to ride my bike or bum rides to get around. Suprisingly, the heater on the 6 was pretty good and although the defroster sucked big time, with a piece of cardboard covering most of the radiator, once warmed up the cabin remained quite comfortable, even at colder temps.

MY S2K is a daily driver for me as well and I wouldn't think of treating it any differently. The S2K is not some kind of exotic, it's a Honda and these cars are meant to be driven!
Seems you just don't understand what I'm trying to get across to you Zeniac about the situation in the UK, or just aren't willing to accept it.
So good luck with your future maintenance.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Beardie' date='Feb 6 2005, 06:29 PM
Seems you just don't understand what I'm trying to get across to you Zeniac about the situation in the UK, or just aren't willing to accept it.
So good luck with your future maintenance.
I understand what you are trying to say Beardie, but it is important not to assume that everyone thinks as you. I have spend time in both the UK and Europe, and although my experience is somewhat dated, to say that, quote "I have NEVER heard of an S2000 being maintained from new by anything other than a dealership." and that quote "There are NO independents that I would trust with my car. (They won't have a repair manual never mind have received any training). So what are my options?" is way over the top.

There is nothing wrong with having someone else do the maintenance for you if that's what you honestly think is better for your car. Millions of people in the US and Canada do as well. My original point to all of this is to demonstrate that there are viable options and you do have a choice, even in the UK.

I spoke to one of my cousins in Northhampton to see if things have changed so dramatically since I was last over across the pond and his response was that he thought that there was some value to having the car serviced at a dealership, but that it does not void the warranty to have your car serviced at an independant garage and although he personally does not do his own service work, he uses a local shop close to his place of work that gives him the flexibility of having his car serviced while at work to save him the bother of doing it during his time off. (He is not a car buff and sees his car more as a necessary bother)

When asked if he would purchase a used car without stamps in the owners manual, his response was very typical of drivers here. He said it would be more important to him to have it thoroughly checked out at a shop than to rely on the service stamps because to him the service records mean nothing if the car was abused by the owner.

I wish you the very best with your car and hope that you are able to find a Honda dealer that satisfies your service needs at a reasonable price.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:58 PM

I would like to thank everyone that participated in this poll. It is refreshing to see the large number of S2KI members that take such pride in ownership of their S2000.

Just as many owners of traditional and classic sports cars have found, care and maintenance of our Honda roadster can provide great enjoyment and the satisfaction of feeling comfortable under the hood, spending quality time, doing something that is both fun and rewarding.

It is equally rewarding to share our experiences with like minded friends in both our local and on-line communities. This website has played a big part in enhancing personal enjoyment of my S2000.

Best wishes all and thank you for being here!
Old 02-09-2005, 09:51 AM

Decided to start with basic maintence and work my way up.
No one should pay to have the stealership change the cabin air filter it's just too easy.
Oil changes are easy too, dont' even jack the car up if your tall just lean over and undo the bolt and drain into a short sided pan ( kitty litter box).

Transmission fluid and Differential change were easy enough. Took some time to make sure the car was level and that odd size mm wrench for the diff was not easy but now I got one. My cheap little fluid pump was slow but got the job done.

Hard wiring the radar detector and disaling the trunk release switch without the key in ignition was a breeze due to good insturctions from this site.

Next thing is too finish the maintence, coolant swap and bleed clutch both of which have very good how to's listed at this site.

Then start the mods: CAI install, Change the horn and maybe front brake rotors, lines and pads.

Working on cars is like lifting weights not really all that fun while your doing it but really nice when your done. Add the fact you'll save hundreds of dollars, learn a thing or 2 about your car and it's so worth it.

Did pay to have a muffler shop cut off the resonator as welding in a new pipe was beyond my skill. Also want a Hondata heat shield for the summer but would only attempt that with someone who had done it before.

As for dealerships/stealerships I stay as far away as possible due to the outrageous labor rate, general attitude and special problems with working on a unique car like the S. I'm sure some dealers are quite good but IMO they are the exception, at least here.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by pantyraider' date='Feb 4 2005, 01:26 PM
I don't think I'd be so attached to the car if I had everything done by clueless techs.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:33 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,166 Likes on 1,084 Posts

I said "most repair and all maintenance" - even though I just got the car (and thus haven't done any maintenance) and Dad will be helping me out when the time comes. The owner of our local dealership has an S and I assume he has it maintained there, but I'm still leary because I'm sure his S is the only one in my city, so I'm assuming the mechanics there don't have much experience with them. I grew up with my dad strongly discouraging me from going to the dealer due to cost and because he's a motorcycle mechanic, and has also been working on cars for about 40 years. I figure between my dad, fellow owners and this site, I can learn a lot about my car and not pay through the nose!

Quick Reply: Who does their own maintenance?