S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.
View Poll Results: Do you do you own maintenance?
All repairs and maintenance
18.40%
Most repairs and all maintenance
32.80%
All scheduled maintenance
8.80%
Fluid and filter changes only
16.80%
Oil changes only
4.00%
Some maintenance, when I have the time
8.00%
None, I let the shop do everything
11.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Who does their own maintenance?

Old 02-02-2005, 04:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do minor stuff myself, but everything else goes to the shop. It would cost me more to do the work myself than have them do it, based on the amount of money I'd lose while working on the car instead of making money.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:33 AM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do most everything myself. I have the luxury of having Ganley Honda just a few hours away if it's something I can't handle.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:49 AM

I do all the work myself unless it requires sophisticated equipment that I do not possess. Eg. wheel alignment, putting new tires on wheels, etc...
Old 02-02-2005, 10:18 AM

Owning a high-performance vehicle requires proper maintenance. I think that any reasonably savvy person can purchase the Helm shop manual and do at least all of the scheduled maintenance items themselves. Pride of ownership and satisfaction in keeping your vehicle in the best shape possible are all part of the experience in driving and enjoying a great sports car like the S2000. Who better to ensure that the job is done to the proper specifications than the owner? Sure I spend an hour taking my time to do what the dealer will take 30 minutes to do but I won't be chipping the paint, stripping bolts, not torquing to the right amount etc like some junior mechanic who is rushing to get it done so that he can "test drive" the car.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:09 PM

Well, so far I feel a little less like a dinosaur. Are there any UK S2K owners out there that have any opinions?

See the thread that spurred me to start this poll (
Old 02-02-2005, 05:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Zeniac, Chris Type R summed it up simply in his 2 posts on that thread.
In the UK, the service book is just about the only thing that a prospective buyer will be interested in. As long as those stamps are in there, then your average punter doesn't really care whether you've got a bunch of receipts too.
In fact I'd go as far as saying that showing that the car's been maintained by it's owner will have a serious negative impact on what you'll get for the car.

Now before I get flamed, I'd like to point out that I'm a long time Triumph enthusiast and have always maintained my own classic cars, including engine rebuilds.

You've also got to remember that we don't have the facilities that most of you colonials ( ) have. Namely a monster garage at the side of your house .

Let me ask a related question.
Will an S with a CAI, aftermarket exhaust and some extra bling under the hood receive a higher value or be quicker to sell over there?
Old 02-02-2005, 05:36 PM

only do oil changes since i have a Fumoto valve. all other fluids go to the shop..
Old 02-02-2005, 05:47 PM

Perhaps in the UK they have decent dealerships with decent techs. Around here, I don't trust the average dealership morons with my car. Most anything they can do (with the exception of items requiring special equipment) I'm confident that the average enthusiast with mild to moderate skills could do better. More often that not taking your car to the dealer results in more things fudged up than fixed.

JeffA
Old 02-02-2005, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Beardie' date='Feb 2 2005, 08:30 PM
Let me ask a related question.
Will an S with a CAI, aftermarket exhaust and some extra bling under the hood receive a higher value or be quicker to sell over there?
Under the hood mods or bling would most likely degrade the value and ease of selling the car to most buyers. With the exhaust, it would really depend on the type, a quieter exhaust like a Fujitsubo wouldn't probably make a lot of difference, and may even enhance the saleability of the car, however, a ricer type, single, or louder exhaust would for most buyers have a negative effect as people may construe that the car has been raced or abused.

One of the reasons you will find most owners removing and mods before selling is that at the very best, in general, you usually wouldn't gain any extra value and are better off removing the mods and selling them separate, as you see on this and other similar websites.

The ability to find a place to work on your car can be an issue, when I was younger I had a similar problem and ended up working on the car in the street. It sucked, especially in the winter, but at that time I could hardly afford the price of parts, not much less paying someone to do the work for me.

Let me also ask a related question Beardie. Is the value of your Triumph degraded because of you doing your own maintenance and repairs?
Old 02-02-2005, 09:54 PM
MrV

Originally Posted by Av8ing1' date='Feb 3 2005, 02:47 AM
Perhaps in the UK they have decent dealerships with decent techs.

Far from the truth

As stated before one thing in the UK that cause's prosective buyers to walk away from your car is an unstamped service book

Quick Reply: Who does their own maintenance?