S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Who changes their own oil??

Old 06-18-2002, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who changes their own oil??

I'm just curious on who changes their own oil --

-- yesterday, I was being prudent (I thought) by changing my own oil -- when I removed the old oil filter, the o-ring didn't come along with it -- I didn't notice this, so I put the new filter on and when I started my car up and brought it down the ramps for the top-off, I lost about 2 quarts on the driveway --

-- what a MESS!! I think there's a lot of detail lost when some yahoos on minimum wage are doing this task, but I had a hell of an afternoon because of my carelessness. Needless to say, pouring the used oil into old milk and apple juice containers is EXTREMELY messy, too, as is taking it to the recycling place.

Let me know what you think!

Eric

Old 06-18-2002, 06:07 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've always done my own oil changes plus most other stuff. The filter ring is something that most of us have done. It's part of the learning process.
ps. You'll never do it again.
Old 06-18-2002, 06:33 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I change my own oil too. It really isn't too bad on the S2000. The Miata was a bitch in comparison, but the M3 was a breeze with the filter in a canister at the front of the engine.

Here's what I do as far as the old oil...wash out a big laundry detergent bottle with wide "no drip" lips and pour the old oil into that. The big ones hold a lot of oil and the plastic is of the same type used for oil storage so it won't deteriorate like milk jug plastic.
Old 06-18-2002, 06:43 AM

I do mine as well. I don't trust the teen age help at the dealerships, and I don't trust the quality of the oil filters at the quick change places. Besides, at those quick lube places, they never change the sealing washer on the drain plug, nor does anyone pre-fill the oil filter to minimize the dry start after a change. I just assume do it myself.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:08 AM

I got this response from another group I'm on -- now if I could only find that 2L draining tool --

Eric

FWIW, not checking to see if the gasket was left on after taking the old filter off is something you will only do ONCE in your life. the first few times seems like a pain, but it gets easier every time you do it. I have heard way too many horror stories of those quick change oil places.

I have a drain pan that you thread 2 liter soda bottles onto, so it drains into them, you unscrew them and put the caps on...a very clean operation. When I have about 20 full, I make a trip to the recycling center. I can change in oil in all 3 of my cars in about 30 mins total. I suggest going to a store (i.e. Wal-Mart) and checking out what gadgets are available to ease the pain of an oil change.

Old 06-18-2002, 07:57 AM

I picked up an oil drain pan thing at the local auto zone type place for like 5 bucks.
It holds 6 quarts, just fine for our car. It has about a 6" diameter screw off top where there is a plastic mesh overlay that lets the oil in but will catch your drain plug on top so you can just unscrew it and let it fall.
And it has a small nozzle on the front with a screwon plug where they pour the oil out at the recycle place.
And it slides under the stook without having to be jacked up or lifted in any way.
Its sweet.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:34 AM

Woah. It's pretty cool some of you guys actually change your own oil. Yeah, it's all about getting down there and changing it yourself, no better feeling than the job well done urself feeling. Anyway, where do you guys live? I'm not allowed to put oil in milk canisters, etc anymore. I have to leave it in an "approved" oil pan and bring it to kragen. Makes it a lot harder and annoying.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AngrySalamander
[B]I'm not allowed to put oil in milk canisters, etc anymore.
Old 06-18-2002, 02:35 PM

I change my own oil. With the Injen intake it is a peice of cake, but messy. Hey, that's where the fun is at though!
Old 06-18-2002, 04:23 PM
Banned

Originally posted by negcamber
The big ones hold a lot of oil and the plastic is of the same type used for oil storage so it won't deteriorate like milk jug plastic.
Uhoh. How long does it take for them to deteriorate? What do I do once I've already got it poured into one? Transfer it to a 3liter coke bottle?

Quick Reply: Who changes their own oil??