S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

where to start?

Old 04-04-2007, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to start?

Hows everyone doing? I recently got a 2000 s2k and I am overwhelmed with where to go with this car, so if anyone can give some tips on where to start I would appriciate it... I was thinking of getting the new greddy exhaust and an Aem CAI , or possibly just saving up and going for boost, since I am a full time student who pays everything by myself and not mommy and dads money its not easy to get all of those expensive things right away so I have to save up and go piece by piece, so any suggestions would be appriciated, Thanks Kevin
Old 04-04-2007, 05:00 PM

pay off your credit card/student loan/car debts off before you start another one with mods for your car.
but if you want to live life oweing people money, get a stock lip, drop the car, throw some D's on it, and get 4.57's.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i think this all depends on your preference

do you like the way it look now?
do you want to lower it?
do you want full adjustable suspension?
do you want full body kit or just simple lip?
do you want a hardtop?
do you want aftermarket wheels?
what type of wheels do you like?
do you want 16" 17" 18" or 19"?
is it a daily driver?
do you want to SC or turbo?
can you afford FI?
do you want to drive a FI car everyday?
there are endless questions that you need to ask YOURSELF

now if you have a more specific question about something, it would be easier for us to help you out
Old 04-04-2007, 05:17 PM

You already took a really good first step by joining s2ki! But as for personal preference I would hate driving a FI s2k as a DD. Take some time and learn the cars limmits before doing ANYTHING to the car so you have a full understanding of how it is built and why it is built, as a race car if you didnt catch that already. The first thing I would get is a new clutch (every car can use a new one), as far as stages go, its up to you weather to get a stage 2 or 3 or what have you. Intake should be next because everyone needs to breathe easier. And exhaust should be last on your list if you arnt getting FI because with the exhaust you add the HP but also dont allow yourself to enjoy the entirety that honda built the car for. If its HP that you are looking for go with FI or SC. If you dont like the way that VTEC kicks in or want to have it personified get a new ECU. Keep it safe though!

Have fun, Kyle
Old 04-04-2007, 05:29 PM

Drive the car for a while and then make your mods to improve or change things that aren't quite to your liking. The time you spend deciding on just the right mods is half the fun.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:44 PM
TB

I would start with periods(.) between sentences.

Congrats on the new purchase.

If you want to sound better, get an exhaust. If you want to handle better, save for coilovers. If you want to go faster, save for boost. If you want to feel like you are going faster, save for gears.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:54 PM

Welcome to the forums. Congrats on the purchase. Take your time before you start modding everything. I would start with something simple and complimentary like upgrading the audio. When I bought my S I couldnt hear anything with the top down at highway speeds.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Apr 4 2007, 08:29 PM
Drive the car for a while and then make your mods to improve or change things that aren't quite to your liking. The time you spend deciding on just the right mods is half the fun.
This is excellent advice. You might consider spending your first dollars on an autocross school or some track days: learn to drive the car the way it is before you start changing it.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait before you mod!!! You will be happier for it later. Honestly, if you're going to do anything maybe get some suspension/wheels and keep it stock until you can figure out what you'd like to do. Honestly, other than some gears, this car isn't really going to get much faster unless you go FI. Save your money, have fun with the car, and re-evaluate things 6 months to a year from now
Old 04-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kms2882,Apr 4 2007, 07:50 PM
Hows everyone doing? I recently got a 2000 s2k and I am overwhelmed with where to go with this car, so if anyone can give some tips on where to start I would appriciate it... I was thinking of getting the new greddy exhaust and an Aem CAI , or possibly just saving up and going for boost, since I am a full time student who pays everything by myself and not mommy and dads money its not easy to get all of those expensive things right away so I have to save up and go piece by piece, so any suggestions would be appriciated, Thanks Kevin

Quick Reply: where to start?