S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Where do you take your used oil to?

Old 11-10-2000, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to do my own oil change, but I have no idea where I can take the oil to, or how much those people are gonna charge for it. Any suggestions?
Old 11-10-2000, 01:50 PM

Check with your local city office; they have a list of all recycling centers in the neighborhood. Also, most garages allow you to drop off used oil and they'll dispose. My local Kragen Auto Parts store will also take it. Maybe others like Pep Boys will too.

P.S. It's always FREE.
Old 11-10-2000, 01:51 PM

The curb. Or better yet, I just pour it down the sewer.

Actually, any auto parts store (at least here in Florida) will take it. Not sure about California... you guys probably have some stringent laws there.
Old 11-10-2000, 02:12 PM

Mingster,

I take my used oil to Pep Boys. They don't charge for it and they're really close by. I know there was a phone number you could call about recycling. I used to see banners with the phone number all over the place when I worked up in Santa Monica.

See you on Sat.

Mark

Originally posted by mingster:
I would love to do my own oil change, but I have no idea where I can take the oil to, or how much those people are gonna charge for it. Any suggestions?

Old 11-10-2000, 02:17 PM

FYI, griot's garage has a handy oil pan that can be plugged for transportation and has a pour spout.

It also catches the drain plug! It's in their catalogue, but must be searched for on their website.
Old 11-10-2000, 02:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Most of the larger auto parts chains have a re-cycle program. Many cities also have a collection point or program.

You are right, if you don't have a way to dispose of the old oil properly, you should let someone that does change it.
Old 11-10-2000, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by mingster:
Take them to Kragen or Auto Zone...They recycle used oil...No charge.
Old 11-10-2000, 03:25 PM

I was bringing mine to Kragen but wanted a place closer. Started asking around and found out that Jiffy Lube, of all places, takes used oil. Sometimes they will even dump it for you, or you just pour it into their screened tank. I have one just a few miles away and it's really convenient.
Old 11-10-2000, 03:31 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if it's different in California but I remember clearly that any store in NYC that sells motor oil is suppose to take it back. I remember people use to bring it back to the Kmart I worked at.

But here is the list for Cali http://www.ciwmb.ca.gov/UsedOil/CrtCntrs.asp

Old 11-10-2000, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can take it to any auto parts or quick lube or service station or anywhere that changes oil. In CA they all accept used oil, they have to, it's the law. They have to do it for free too. Next time you go by one of those places, you will see a big green sticker or sign in the window. Read it, it explains it all. Some nonsense about protecting the environment, like who needs one of those!

Cheers and happy dumping

Quick Reply: Where do you take your used oil to?