S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

When Will The S2000 Sell For Invoice?

Old 02-26-2002, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every single new vehicle I've purchased, I've gotten at $100 or less over invoice including the S2k. You have to know how a dealer makes their money off of you during a new car sale and take advantage of that.

Salespeople are trying to maximize the profit from 1) financing, 2) trade-ins and 3) extended service packages and 4) the car price. They will budge on one or two of these if they think they can make money on the other ones.

There are a couple of tactics that work. This is the one I like to use to piss dealers off:

Show interest in the S2k. Have your current car appraised (they'll low ball you if they think you're locked into the new car). Tell them that you're not sure you can afford the car or don't have much of a down payment. Then they think they'll rape you with financing charges over the next few years. Bring up the weak differential problem and breifly ask about extended service packages to give the salesguy a hard-on. Negotiate on the sales price to bring them down as low as possible (it should be easier since the salesperson thinks they will be making lots of money from other stuff). Once they absolutely commit to a firm price, pay cash/use outside financing and take your old car home.

And don't feel sorry for the dealers. They still make around a $1000 for every S2k sold at invoice, not to mention future repair bills at their shop. Oh and S2Kguy - the dealerships get paid to do warranty service by Honda of America.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:28 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2Kguy
[B]

[RANT]

First of all, take your 1 post and get the hell out with that attitude.
Old 02-26-2002, 11:09 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Trackman
[B]
Salespeople are trying to maximize the profit from 1) financing, 2) trade-ins and 3) extended service packages and 4) the car price.
Old 02-27-2002, 06:30 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Trackman
[B]Every single new vehicle I've purchased, I've gotten at $100 or less over invoice including the S2k.
Old 03-12-2002, 12:00 PM

Well, I just read that someone in the Bay Area forums recently paid $31.7K for his new MY2002.

So I guess the market for new S2Ks is starting to soften here in CA...
Old 03-12-2002, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by Black Beach
Has anybody heard a rumor that final production of this model is 2002? [/B]
Actually, I believe that there will be a 2003 and probably a new color with it.

Farkey - what dealership are you at?
Old 03-12-2002, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by Maveric
Well, I just read that someone in the Bay Area forums recently paid $31.7K for his new MY2002.

Maveric-

With all due respect, I think that you are inferring too much. Simply stating a price paid without additional factis is not enough to say that the market is softening.

For example, how many miles were on this car? What color was it? Was it the manager's demonstrator? Did the buyer have a trade in? If so, how much did he get for it? What kind of financing did the buyer arrange?

These are just a few examples.
Old 03-12-2002, 02:55 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Da Hapa
[B]

Maveric-

With all due respect, I think that you are inferring too much.
Old 03-12-2002, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by pvpd

Actually, I believe that there will be a 2003 and probably a new color with it.

Farkey - what dealership are you at?
I work at Norm Reeves in Huntington Beach. An update w/ regards to pricing... I just sold our black/black for MSRP this past weekend. While it was a near war with my desk manager, we made the deal.

All of our s2k's are also bare--no forced options (if you're buying the car with options, you're still paying over MSRP, even if they give you the options at "cost"). I'd be more than happy to try and get the same deal done again for anyone who is seriously looking.
Old 03-12-2002, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by Maveric

You are referring to Capitol Honda in San Jose. The car that sold for 31.75k had minor flaws. That same dealership still sells them for $1k to $2k over sticker very quickly.

Quick Reply: When Will The S2000 Sell For Invoice?