S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

When S02's Attack

Old 05-08-2001, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"sounds more like a driver induced slide" Definitely, the car doesn't operate itself This was hardly an at the limits turn where I overcooked it into the turn like the S4 in off topic. But regardless, I did overload the tires w/too much speed and it slid. What was surprising, and cause for reflection, is how occured far under limits as I had experienced them in the past. I'm going to check tire pressure tonight, but it is probably the combination of well worn and cold SO2's. But that is still something to be aware of, and take into account when driving. That's what I am trying to communicate.

[Edited by Silver S2K on 05-08-2001 at 08:17 AM]
Old 05-08-2001, 07:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Silver S2K
But that is still something to be aware of, and take into account when driving. That's what I am trying to communicate.
Hey, I was not taking shots.. I posted about my spin on cold tires in Nov. '99 when my car was less than a month old. But now that I have learned more about the car I know it was 90% me and 10% cold tires that made it so exciting.
Old 05-08-2001, 07:42 AM

Phantom

So what do you use as your daily driving tires?
Old 05-08-2001, 07:50 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cdelena

Both the S02's and my R compound tires raise hell on the track at the limit.. they are not silent. But when suddenly pushed past adhesion there is no opportunity to warn you.
Old 05-08-2001, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha Silver- I know exactly what you are talking about. Sometimes when I'm taking a turn a little too fast the backend slides and I don't even notice because its so subtle. It slides as smooth as silk too on fresh blacktop...no squeeks, chirps or jumping as the tail steps out (which I'm guessing is in part due to the tires and part due to the cars weight distribution).

I've noticed that it slides much better on blacktop than regular concrete pavement.

I only have 4500 miles on my car so mine is all driver error. I've only had 1 FWD vehicle, the rest were RWD so the correction is familiar to me....but I still don't know the car limits. Sometimes I just cross my fingers and hope the slide stops with my correction. So far its been very smooth and predictable!

-B
Old 05-08-2001, 08:00 AM

No offense taken cdelena. And it is important for people to understand that it is the driver's input at the root of this. And the driver should know his car (and tires)
Old 05-08-2001, 08:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by GMan
Originally posted by cdelena

Both the S02's and my R compound tires raise hell on the track at the limit..
In my experience the S02's screech close to the limit more than competition tires like the BFG g-Force T/A R1 or the Yokahama A032R, but a whole lot less than street tires, like the Michelin Pilot for example. [/B]
I don't usually drive on the street in a way to tell (but my S02's made a lot of noise on the Dragon). At the track I run A032R's and when pushed hard they seems very vocal to me.

Most street driving is not at the limit (I hope.. but at least not for long) so the tires may seem quiet. I guess some more pedestrian compounds/treads make more noise at lower levels of adhesion.
Old 05-08-2001, 08:51 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cdelena
I don't usually drive on the street in a way to tell (but my S02's made a lot of noise on the Dragon). At the track I run A032R's and when pushed hard they seems very vocal to me.
Old 05-08-2001, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So Silver, what WERE the tire pressures when you got around to checking them? I've gotten the same semi-random breakaways but so far, knock wood, they are slight and recoverable.
Old 05-08-2001, 10:07 AM

Penforhire, I'm going to check when I get home later tonight. I did have my driver side rear plugged recently (stupid screw) but it has been maintaining its pressure thus far and does not look low now... (34 all around cold last check).

Quick Reply: When S02's Attack