S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

When is the last year the S2000 is going to be made?

Old 02-07-2002, 07:01 PM
EdQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When is the last year the S2000 is going to be made?

I am very interested in buying an S2000. However, finances will be better in two years. Does any one know the last year of scheduled production. Any info would be helpful. If need be I will have to order one this summer. Thanks
Old 02-07-2002, 07:03 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

When we talked with a couple of the S2000 designers, they said they would be built as long as people are buying them.
Old 02-07-2002, 07:03 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think anyone will have a firm answer for you but I suspect that with Honda cutting the Prelude, they may be more inclined to introduce an S2000 Coupe! That would be sweet and less expensive (as many coupes usually cost less than a convertible).

Anything can happen in two years. . .you may not even want an S2000 then!
Old 02-07-2002, 07:04 PM

I can't guarantee what Honda is going to do but if I had to guess....

You have nothing to worry about. Honda has a great thing here and they know it. It will not be ending any time soon.

But this is not confirmed by anything or anyone... just pure speculation on my part.
Old 02-07-2002, 07:04 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Elistan
When we talked with a couple of the S2000 designers, they said they would be built as long as people are buying them.
Just like those AB Belts!
Old 02-08-2002, 06:28 AM

A while back, there was a bunch of unsolicited garble about Honda ceasing production because "they wanted" it to be a limited-production car. You know, like a one-shot. For those fortunate few who had the bucks, and snatched one up before the gettin' was gone.

I was one of those who disagreed with the philosophy. Probably because I don't own one, but want to. Also because I don't believe in doing something like that. I know companies do it, and the only time I could ever see it as acceptable would be if it were a special edition of an already existing car, or an exotic. Meaning... let's say like the upcoming Ferrari F60. How many people can afford those? Not many. And there won't be many.
Ferrari makes the most bitchin' car on the planet, charges an arm and a leg, and calls it a day.

I see that as different. With the S2000, it's a reasonably-priced car with a purpose in life, and a great standing in the Honda lineup. There'd be no rational reason to make its lifespan intentionally short.

Besides.... um.... I didn't buy mine yet!!! Let's see I want blue, with the OEM bodykit, and all Rick's goodies, including those brake kits on his webpage...and....and a trip to Mugen/King Motorsports... and....

Okay I'll stop.
Old 02-08-2002, 06:52 AM

This is what I think: the rarer the car, the better the value of the car years down the road....
Old 02-08-2002, 07:00 AM

I would wait for a new model to come out. Maybe in couple year?? crossing my fingers
Old 02-08-2002, 08:16 AM

The s2k is a great sports car. That's why I bought mine. However I bought mine slightly used and paid slightly over MSRP...because I understood Honda was making 5000 a year for 3 years. I think Honda would be finacially crazy for stopping production, but I would respect them even more for doing it. Word of advice, use common sence and forget what the dealer tells you. Life is short, get the car.
Old 02-08-2002, 10:18 AM

If I had to guess anything I would say that 2004 would have some type of redesign. Maybe small like the 2002 maybe large like more HP or new sheetmetal.

Honda dragged the NSX on for a decade with minimal changes to maintain a halo car. Since the S2000 has a bigger market they most likely will keep it going and stay competitive.

Quick Reply: When is the last year the S2000 is going to be made?