S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

When does everyone's clutch go out normally?

Old 06-21-2005, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Felt like mine was slipping.Brought mine to Honda and they said the clutch was "extremely worn" and I have 28,000 miles. This sounded rediculous to me and I argued with him about how this could be. He said it depends on the driver and how hard they drive. I couldn,t say because I bought the car used. Although the car was in almost perfect condition when I got indicating to me the previous owner tookm good care of the car. That was in November, still though I have'nt changed it yet and it's still holding up. Although I feel like it would pull a lot harder with a new clutch. Please pm me if you can tell me a good performance aftermarket clutch that will perform well on a pretty much stock S2000 and will last longer than a stock one? the only mods I have are intake & exhaust.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Planets,Jun 20 2005, 11:54 PM
34k miles on my car, original clutch, and no signs of the clutch going any time soon. I autocross and do 6k clutch dumps every run, clutch is still holding up fine.
I did a 6k clutch dump at the drag strip and the clutch slipped horribly the first time. I posted what happened and the members on this board told me I was launching at too low of an rpm.

Not to mention I only have 8000 miles on the car.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by S2kNY,Jun 21 2005, 01:10 PM
Felt like mine was slipping.Brought mine to Honda and they said the clutch was "extremely worn" and I have 28,000 miles. This sounded rediculous to me and I argued with him about how this could be. He said it depends on the driver and how hard they drive. I couldn,t say because I bought the car used. Although the car was in almost perfect condition when I got indicating to me the previous owner tookm good care of the car.
Unfortunately, just because a used car is clean, doesn't mean it hasn't had the @#$$% driven out of it. Wear and tear on internal, non-visible, parts is completely undetectable from the outside without a complete tear down and nobody does that.

I've found these kind of conversations interesting through the years. One guy has 18k miles on the car, claims to drive easy, and the clutch is toast. Another has 60k+ and claims to have driven it into the ground and the clutch is still going strong. It just doesn't make sense.

My car's got just over 15k and the clutch is Ok as far as I can tell but based on what I'm reading here, who knows?

Best of luck to you folks,
Steve R.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by RyanS2000,Jun 21 2005, 01:03 PM
I did a 6k clutch dump at the drag strip and the clutch slipped horribly the first time. I posted what happened and the members on this board told me I was launching at too low of an rpm.

Not to mention I only have 8000 miles on the car.
yeah you probably were dropping it a little too low then... keep in mind that 6k is not an absolute rule, it heavily depends on the surface of whatever it is you're running on and the weather... for example, if I do a morning run at autocross and it's still a bit chilly out, I can launch at 5k and spin the tires pretty well, then when it warms up later in the day I may need to do 6k or even 7k drops to break the tires loose. That actually happened to me at the last autocross, was dropping at 5k in the morning no problem, then the sun came out and 5k drops were causing the clutch to slip so I had to start doing it at 6k-7k.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Planets,Jun 21 2005, 06:12 PM
yeah you probably were dropping it a little too low then... keep in mind that 6k is not an absolute rule, it heavily depends on the surface of whatever it is you're running on and the weather... for example, if I do a morning run at autocross and it's still a bit chilly out, I can launch at 5k and spin the tires pretty well, then when it warms up later in the day I may need to do 6k or even 7k drops to break the tires loose. That actually happened to me at the last autocross, was dropping at 5k in the morning no problem, then the sun came out and 5k drops were causing the clutch to slip so I had to start doing it at 6k-7k.
That makes sense. The track was probably fairly sticky. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:27 AM

Hello fellow s2000 fans:

I posted a question on the clutch in the introduction section.

My clutch has begun to slip at 50,000 mi. I don't: race it, drop the clutch, do burn outs, or generally abuse my car. From time to time, I do accelerate hard at stoplights. I also downsift when braking. However, I do NOT ride the clutch.

21+ yrs driving manual transmission cars.

Last car was a del sol and the clutch didn't have to be replaced until after 110,000 mi. Car prior to del sol had its clutch replaced around 90,000 mi.

Called Honda and they said it is a wear-and-tear issue and won't be covered.

Does this sound normal for a $30,000 high performance sports car? I think not.

I appreciate any input regarding this issue.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:46 AM

I have an '05 with 9K on it. The other day I shifted from 2-3rd gear and it sounded like the clutch slipped BAD when VTEC kicked in (just engine revving for maybe 2 seconds). It sounded like about 5 thousand miles of clutch wear in those 2 seconds. To be fair there was over 500 pounds of driver and passenger in the car, but still.... Anyway, my first thought was that I need to get rid of that damn delay valve, though I haven't done it yet. It just really pissed me off with the car being almost new.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Jun 5 2005, 03:11 PM
it seems to me that driving style (as in how often you feather/ride the clutch) is the greatest factor here IMO.
When i'm driving casually (3-5K shifts) I don't just dump the clutch because the car will start to jerk alittle. So what I do is let out the clutch at a moderate pace, maybe takes 1.5-2 seconds. Is this what you mean by feathering? Should I just dump the clutch after I get it rolling? I only have 3,500 miles on my '05, and I don't want to do any damage while it's still in good condition.

ps: When I VTEC it, I just dump the clutch, and it seems to engage alot smoother. I also have the clutch delay valve still intact. This is my first MT car, so be nice!
Old 12-20-2005, 10:32 AM

Maybe I'm a poor driver, but this car seems to require a little more feathering then other cars I've driven to take off from a stop light smoothly. Does anyone else have this problem?

Also, what RPMs do you engage the clutch at? I'm right around ~1200RPMs or so.

Edit: None of my other cars are like this...I'm usually rolling off right at idle w/ almost no feathering (~750RPMS) in my other cars.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:46 AM

Mine went around 33k, I wasn't the first owner though

Quick Reply: When does everyone's clutch go out normally?