S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

When does everyone's clutch go out normally?

Old 06-05-2005, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The idea that it only slips in vtec is odd. This may not be a worn clutch but something else. When you take it in make sure you tell them it happens in vtec. The clutch has 3 main components: disk, pressure plate, release bearing. You can screw up the disk by glazing it (overheating) by slipping it. If there is a problem with the release bearing it might not be disengaging fully and causing it to ride on the flywheel without you realizing it. If it's the pressure plate then it might have a problem where it doesn't apply enough pressure causing it to slip.

A slipping clutch usually causes burning which stinks real bad. Any smell?
Old 06-05-2005, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I dont know, its weird cuz its only in vtec, and no I dont have any smell. That was the first thing I did when I got out of the car was try to see if I could smell the clutch.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:13 PM

Sick S2K,
You're not alone, I got the same problem. Only when I VTEC it starts to slip no fishy smell. Although I do remember once it did smell fishy after VTEC then it went away. But maybe the damage was done then and slowly got worse.

BTW I got 25,000 miles on the original stock pressure plate/disc.
Mike
Old 06-05-2005, 11:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have almost 42k miles on my 01. Open her up regularly, but I never launch....the original clutch is still going strong.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Brennon,Jun 6 2005, 02:31 AM
I have almost 42k miles on my 01. Open her up regularly, but I never launch....the original clutch is still going strong.
I went 60k miles without even the slightest bit of slippage, and that was with extremely hard driving. I quasi-launched pretty often, but I learned early how to do it by feathering the clutch to do it without damage. All the Ohio guys used to give me crap for always going sideways, but I had hard enough tires that I was able to break traction easily and reduce the wear on my clutch and diff.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:47 AM

Ok quick question what would be a good aftermarket clutch to go with for daily driving, only mods are exhaust and intake. And where would be a good place to buy from. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:03 PM

Well, here's the latest on my clutch issue. I took the car down to Honda and went to have them look at it. They said I would have to pay for the diagnosis (even though it is under warranty). I already took a day off work to get the car in so I was not going to pay out of my pocket for this!

I talked to HardtopGuy (Excellent customer service BTW) and ordered a clutch from. He was suprised to hear how many miles were on my S, then informed me that my throw-out bearing might be the culprit. I then talked to a friend of mine who used to work for the Razarri dealerships and this is what he said:

The throw-out bearing going out could cause the clutch to stay engaged. He asked if I could shift without depressing the clutch pedal, and I can (dont even grind, it's almost like an auto!!). All I have to do is press the pedal in 1/4 of an inch for it to go into any gear, and with 2-4th, I dont even have to do that.

Since I've heard the throw-out bearing is like a defect from Honda, would they cover this under warranty? My car has 28K on it now....Anyone else have this issue before?
Old 06-20-2005, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sick S2K,Jun 20 2005, 07:03 PM
Well, here's the latest on my clutch issue. I took the car down to Honda and went to have them look at it. They said I would have to pay for the diagnosis (even though it is under warranty). I already took a day off work to get the car in so I was not going to pay out of my pocket for this!

I talked to HardtopGuy (Excellent customer service BTW) and ordered a clutch from. He was suprised to hear how many miles were on my S, then informed me that my throw-out bearing might be the culprit. I then talked to a friend of mine who used to work for the Razarri dealerships and this is what he said:

The throw-out bearing going out could cause the clutch to stay engaged. He asked if I could shift without depressing the clutch pedal, and I can (dont even grind, it's almost like an auto!!). All I have to do is press the pedal in 1/4 of an inch for it to go into any gear, and with 2-4th, I dont even have to do that.

Since I've heard the throw-out bearing is like a defect from Honda, would they cover this under warranty? My car has 28K on it now....Anyone else have this issue before?
If it's proven that the throw out bearing is defective, then Honda should certainly fix it under the warranty.

If that is the case, there is "no way in he**" that you should have to pay for the diagnostic!!!

I know that clutches are considered wear items, like brakes and windshield wipers, but is sounds like this place is just a little too eager to get you to eat a repair that Honda should be taking care of. JMO but I could be wrong.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Steve R.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:54 PM

34k miles on my car, original clutch, and no signs of the clutch going any time soon. I autocross and do 6k clutch dumps every run, clutch is still holding up fine.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:06 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard of a few people thinking the clutch is slipping in VTEC - I'm one of them.

:subscribe: to see if there are more of us with this problem.

Quick Reply: When does everyone's clutch go out normally?