S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

When does everyone's clutch go out normally?

Old 06-05-2005, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When does everyone's clutch go out normally?

I'm new here but not to the world of S2000's. I just was wondering what the normal lifespan is of a stock clutch in the 00-03 MY's. I'm pretty bummed to learn mine only got almost 30K out of it and now it's slipping. Hell, my DSM made 130 before it started and that's not being gentle with it!!

With my S, I've treated it with respect, and dont beat the crap out of it and it goes out this early?!? I'm wondering where everyone else's started going out at? I expected more from a Honda then this. Any info is apreciated. TIA
Old 06-05-2005, 02:56 PM

Talked with Service manager about this last week (mine is bad at 45k). He said it really depends on driving style. He has seen them gone within 15K on a car that the guy was launching hard all the time and riding the clutch. He has seen them go to 70K+. Our cars, he said, has a notoriously weak clutch. SO treat it right.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:01 PM

Wow, that sucks. I really dont want to replace the clutch, I'm already having to do some repair work on my other car. I never would have thought it would go out at such a young age. Expecially since I dont launch/race it!!
Old 06-05-2005, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Under normal driving conditions your clutch will last 100K+ miles. Beyond that it depends on the driver. The more you use it the shorter it will last. Burn-outs, launches and parking lot donuts all work to reduce the life of your clutch.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

interstingly enough I launched my first S2000 probably 1000 times, and when i did the clutch TSB at I think 43,000 miles it hardly looked worn at all. This car I've also beaten the crap out of and have about 45,000 miles on already and no clutch slipping.

it seems to me that driving style (as in how often you feather/ride the clutch) is the greatest factor here IMO.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:53 PM

TSB for what year? It just seems weird, once you hit vtec the car doesnt pull, the rpms just climb and the car isnt speeding up. Only under vtec, figured it would be the clutch slipping, could it be something else?
Old 06-05-2005, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sick S2K,Jun 5 2005, 03:53 PM
TSB for what year? It just seems weird, once you hit vtec the car doesnt pull, the rpms just climb and the car isnt speeding up. Only under vtec, figured it would be the clutch slipping, could it be something else?
yes....
Old 06-05-2005, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Jun 5 2005, 05:11 PM
It seems to me that driving style (as in how often you feather/ride the clutch) is the greatest factor here IMO.

Definitely driving style. My S2000 doesn't have enough mileage on it yet to have a problem (I hope! ) but I've seen this in other manual transmissioned cars.

Excessive feathering on starts will add up but I think, as often as not, riding the clutch between shifts is a bigger culprit. I've seen too many folks do this and they weren't even aware of it.

Sick S2K, I don't mean any insult in what I said. I don't know you or how you drive but this is an issue I've seen before. And you did ask!

Good luck with the problem and ......

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:08 PM

One habit Honda seems to believe in is making the clutch in alot of their cars, especially the high performance ones, a little weak in order to protect more expensive driveline components like axles, tranny, etc.

If it is the clutch wearing out, bummer, but maybe be glad it's something that generally lets go gradually and doesn't leave you stranded by the side of the road.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:18 PM

Well im not going to lie, I do race on occasion anyone that says they dont is lieing, but I dont abuse the car. The car was bought new 7 miles on it and besides an occasional light to light or freeway race it is taken care of meticulously.

I guess I 'll take it down to Honda and see what they say, it seems like the clutch, but I just want to make sure. Thanks for the replies

Quick Reply: When does everyone's clutch go out normally?