S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Wheel balance weights

Old 01-17-2001, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you please post where the weights are positioned on your wheels and if this was the factory setting.

I'm specifically looking if somehow Honda magically manages to balance the wheels so that the weights are hidden behind the spokes or if they're placed all over the place.

I'm getting my car repaired after the accident, it's looking very promising, but the only reservation I have is that now the wheel weights have been placed in new positions so that one can see them when looking at the wheel.

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2001, 08:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't checked where the wheel weights are, but I can tell you a little bit about the different kinds of weights from the old days of working at Discount Tire.

Basically there are three kinds of weights, lead, aluminum and the aluminum stick-ons that you are probably describing.

Lead is for steel wheels - you know, the hub capped type of wheels?

Aluminum is for rims - typically going on both sides to be balanced on either side. Although you _can_ put it on one side, but I'll touch on that in a second.

The aluminum stickers are to go 'on' the inside of the wheel - it avoids scratches - particularly in chromed wheels, where if you get a little scratch from a wheel weight, then the chrome around it just flakes right off...which inevitably happens to most chromed wheels.

In balancing the wheels/rims, there are two things to watch - 1 - are the weights on both sides or on the inside? Its just two different ways of balancing the wheels. On both sides is a little more precise - as most racing wheels will have either the stickered Al on the inside and then on the lip (offset lip) on the outside of the wheel.

The most important thing to look at in wheel balancing and actually the only thing you should really be concerned with is whether there is more than one weight on the wheel which are apart from each other. if you have two weights next to each other - no big deal, but if you have one at 3 o'clock and one at 8 o'clock on the dial, then its 'counter-balanced', and they just didn't do it right.

Hope this helps. But I dont think you should be concerned where the weights are placed at all. Once the weights are placed on the wheel, then its ran through the balancer again.
Old 01-17-2001, 08:39 AM

Thanks Schatten

They put the aluminum stick-ons on only the inside of the wheel - I think they're stick-ons because there seems to be some kind of thin stick tape between the wheel and the weights.

Also, all the weights are bundled together (ie. they're not disperesed around the wheel) although on one of them I have about 3 or 4 of them together. They are each about 1/2'' square.

I'm pretty sure they've done it correctly, it's just an eyesore the first time you look at the wheel and I forgot how they were done when I bought the car.
Old 01-17-2001, 08:47 AM

I dont have the service manual in front of me, but the weights are only supposed to be placed on the inside of the wheels, like you described...sounds like they did it right.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:53 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ( @ Jan 17 2001, 09:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> The most important thing to look at in wheel balancing and actually the only thing you should really be concerned with is whether there is more than one weight on the wheel which are apart from each other. if you have two weights next to each other - no big deal, but if you have one at 3 o'clock and one at 8 o'clock on the dial, then its 'counter-balanced', and they just didn't do it right.

[/QUOTE]
does this mean that my wheel is not balanced....or just balanced in a less efficient way?