S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What's a good VTEC Controller (NOT V-AFC)

Old 03-13-2005, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up What's a good VTEC Controller (NOT V-AFC)

My friend says to change the engagement points of the S2k, he recommends VTEC Controller. He says it's more like a piggy back to your ecu...

He says that to buy a V-AFC (apexi) is a waste of money cause it costs too much and it manages fuel, which i don't need cause all i would want to do is change the engagement points of VTEC.

Can i ask what is a good VTEC Controller for s2k then?
Old 03-13-2005, 11:37 PM
Former Sponsor

A Apexi VAFC controlls both fuel and VTEC engagment points (The V in VAFC stands for VTEC)...so I don't know what your friend is talkin about.

A Apexi SAFC controles only fuel I believe...maybe he got the two mixed up.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:03 AM

If your friend knows so much about it - why cant he suggest a good vtec controller?
Old 03-14-2005, 05:10 AM

A V-AFC usually gives you gains. I've seen 0-15hp, it all depends on how good the tuner is. Typically, the tuner will adjust the A/F ratio and vtec engagement points to produce the hp increase.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:10 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Besides, the low-rpm cam profile is set up for very different fuel and timing settings than the high-rpm cam. Lowering the VTEC transition point without changing anything else will most likely result in very poor performance in that area between the new crossover point and the stock point.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Elistan,Mar 14 2005, 07:10 AM
Besides, the low-rpm cam profile is set up for very different fuel and timing settings than the high-rpm cam. Lowering the VTEC transition point without changing anything else will most likely result in very poor performance in that area between the new crossover point and the stock point.
so in order to maximize gains it, you would need to tune it, correct?
Old 03-14-2005, 07:35 AM

yes, it needs to be tuned. Scratch that, it needs to be tuned well. I have a VAFC in the civic and I know their are still some HP stuck in their from crappy tunning. The new model (which I have) provides alot of points to adjust, pretty goos system.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by HoshNasi,Mar 14 2005, 08:35 AM
yes, it needs to be tuned. Scratch that, it needs to be tuned well. I have a VAFC in the civic and I know their are still some HP stuck in their from crappy tunning. The new model (which I have) provides alot of points to adjust, pretty goos system.
would you say adding a V-AFC decreases the reliability of the car overall?
Old 03-14-2005, 12:12 PM

tuned well I am sure it would provide a minimal almost null possitive effect. Tuned poorly it could hurt things.

To be honest it is just a good way to adjust how much fuel you are dumping at what trottle position and RPM. It also helps set the V-Tec point. I picked up one due to the fact I have a b20 with an Integra Type-r ECU and the fuel pressure reg wasen't giving me enough fuel up top. What does this have in common with a Stock car.. Nothing, and that is pretty much the point. If you don't think your lacking in fuel do to some serious mods then I'm not sure if this will do anything for you. A Stock S2k ECU is tuned for the stock motor. Might want to leave well enough alone.. Unless you go FI
Old 03-14-2005, 12:31 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

An improperly tuned VAFC could have serious consequences, sure.

Properly tuned, many people are seeing 10hp increases at the top end - mostly due to the seriously rich nature of the stock ECU fuel maps. Do a search for stock dyno plots that include air/fuel ratios and you'll see how the ECU puts in a whole lot of fuel at certain rpms. The gains aren't as impressive in the rest of the rev range, but they're there. (Just to be certain, this is done by reducing the amount of fuel being injected.)

Quick Reply: What's a good VTEC Controller (NOT V-AFC)