S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

what's the deal with the start button?

Old 09-13-2005, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It goes back to racing heritage, the same reason a prosche will always have the key on the left side. In the days of racing where the cars were lined up and the drivers had to run to them and get in then take off, they could not fire the car until they had one foot in the car. By positioning the start button or key to the left of the steering they could start the car while in mid siwng with thier left hand. The more accessible the start button was the faster one could start the car and take off. When honda designed the S it was to harken back to the true sports cars of the 50's and 60's that were largley based on succesful road racing cars.
On the other had I find the start button rather that traditional key starting kinda convinent. The button is right there at your fingertips and if you were to stall the car instead of having to fumble to find the key you simply push a button. Also give honda credit before the S2000 you hardley saw a street car with push button start now look at the current offerings.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:44 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

You know what I like about it? That is just like my bike that is parked next to it in the garage, Honda made bikes before they made cars

And the only REAL benefit? I have owned many cars, and have bent a few keys in the steering ignition lock, trying to start the car. You know, the car racks up some miles on it, ignition becomes worn. I like that the fact in this car, I just need to turn the key to the on position and don't have to worry about grinding chit

Can someone tell my how to bypass the convertible switch? I want it to read my fukkin mind and lower itself
Old 09-13-2005, 07:45 AM

cockpit style!
Old 09-13-2005, 07:59 AM

Yeah, I TOTALLY AGREE! The TL I had was MUCH better! I only had to use one hand for start-up, and one foot for going/stopping. WTF did they put this other pedal in the S? Soooooo inconvenient! Sometimes, I like to cut my toenails while I'm driving, and I can't do that when my foot is constantly pushing in that useless pedal. You should see my foot these days! And speaking of inconvenience, why doesn't McDonalds offer pre-chewed burgers and fries? I HATE constantly moving my jaw up and down countless number of times for a measley meal. If I could just gulp it down, it'd be an easy one-step process! What did I do to deserve this??!! Anyone hearing me??!!!

Originally Posted by wchristian2
Thats the problem with America......its too inconvenient for some people to push a damn button thats 2 inches away from their hand....
Yeah, seriously. Just get out and drive. Maybe your panties will come untwisted along the way.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The start button, radio and ac control paddles, the tachometer (and there may be others) are part of the "race car" heritage of the S2000. The tach seem to have been lifted almost directly from earlier F1 cars.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:14 AM

Received 241 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul55100,Sep 13 2005, 11:59 AM
And speaking of inconvenience, why doesn't McDonalds offer pre-chewed burgers and fries? I HATE constantly moving my jaw up and down countless number of times for a measley meal. If I could just gulp it down, it'd be an easy one-step process! What did I do to deserve this??!! Anyone hearing me??!!!
Soylent green is people! It's PEOPLE!
Old 09-13-2005, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito,Sep 13 2005, 07:44 AM
I want it to read my fukkin mind ...
This would make the car go way too fast and could make the car drive erratically whenever it passed an attractive lady. Some things are best kept secret.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by achtung6,Sep 12 2005, 10:12 PM
It's part of the uniqueness of this car. Race cars start with a button. It is properly located to the left of the wheel because if you stall a the car in a race, you can select the 1st gear with your right hand and re-start the car with your left.

This is something you cannot do if you have to perform both procedures with your right hand (at least not simultaneously).
It makes a little more sense in a Right hand drive car, which is what the car was really designed as. Then you turn the key with your right hand and press the start button with the right hand too and go into 1st gear with your left hand / left foot.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:00 AM

I dunno --

That start button came in handy at autox last weekend when I spun out & it stalled, I immedately dived in both feet while selecting first & hitting the start button during the spin. Once the spin started to stop, I dropped the hammer on the gas and got it corrected midspin and out of the corner.

I dont' think I would've been able to do that with a traditional key start.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:22 AM

And the award for most useless thread goes too..................

Quick Reply: what's the deal with the start button?