S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What's the big deal about racing?

Old 10-18-2002, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the big deal about racing?

Don't get me wrong, I like the stories about S2K's beating other cars, but is that what it is all about? I am pretty old now (36 y/o). I got my S2K because I like to have a car that everyone else doesn't have, it's fast, good looking, and gets pretty good mpg. Why do most people care if their car can win or lose in a race? There are plenty of cars to be had for less than the S2K that are stock or can be built up for less than an S2K that can beat an S2K in a race. Don't get me wrong, I love my car, but is all about going faster in a straight line. We all spent some cash on our car, but if we wanted a faster car, we could have bought a used 'vette, a Trans Am Ram Air (which is the car I wanted), or a Cobra or SS. The S2K is a roadster, why compare? I have had my share of sports cars, some faster than the S2k, but none as fun. I don't know, but reading through this forum, you make the S2K seem like a dud? Compared to roadsters, there is no better car. I think the S2K is put against other cars in a higher class. This makes me "feel" like I didn't get what I paid for. Truth be told, I wouldn't want a TA, Mustang, or Camaro over a S2K, but maybe a "vette. But, there are less S2K's on the road than all the other cars. People see my car and ask what it is. Isn't that better than a race? Sorry if I don't make sense, I had a long day at work and too may cold ones, but I don't feel our car is being compared well. For it's class and price/fun, it can't be beat. Isn't it about how we feel about our car, and not about if we can win a race? After all, most other cars aren't in the same class as our car, so why compare? Don't you just feel good driving you car? I know I do. I also like the Boxter, Z3, TT,etc. I just like the way the S2K feels, and I have test driven the others. Why are some people so insecure?
Old 10-18-2002, 08:33 PM

Well said...
Old 10-18-2002, 08:39 PM

Hey Red Blur, you are in my neck of the woods. I can't find much for a "support group" for our part of Florida. Am I missing something? I'd like to meet up with a group of S2Ks on Florida's gulf coast. Again, I'm new, but is there a group for us? I really love our car and would like to meet others? Any ideas or success that you've found? I am very new to the car, but would like to meet others.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 10-18-2002, 08:42 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Why do you say "most" people. I think you're wrong there. I think it's a minority that care about the light to light race that I think you're referring to. Your suggesting that a majority of S2K owners care about such things is offensive. Please rephrase your comments after actually thinking about what you're saying. BTW, I'm curious about these faster "sports cars" you've had. Remember that the S2K does run low high 13's to low 14's. What have you had that could beat that?
Old 10-18-2002, 08:45 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tidalwdave
[B]Hey Red Blur, you are in my neck of the woods.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:47 PM

On that note I have to say that with the previous cars that I have owned I'll admit that I have done my fair share of Street racing, which is what I imagine you are referring to when you say "Racing". I have over the years more or less stopped street racing all together. I've lost a few cars do to it, nearly lost my life to it, and would have never had the opportunity to speak of it on this board had there been just one more obstacle in the equation when some of my mishaps have happened. I'm pretty stubborn and so it has taken me a while to learn this, but I love my S2000 and I plan on keeping it forever. I'm more than happy driving along to where I need to go (Quickly) but I don't really get the urge to race anyone anymore. The only thing that I still want to do though is race against myself. Meaning the race track, and I don't mean quarter mile stuff, I mean roadcourses. That IS what our car was built for and it is something I plan on indulging in sometime in the near future.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:50 PM

What's up with street racing? Not to stereotype, but I think your old age has something to do with it. You may have been "been there, done that," but its time for others to be curious as to how the car fairs with others. The excitement, anticipation, and pure exhiliration of it, coupled with the danger and risk factor is what attracts the racer group.

Think of the first time you went on a swing set. You just wanted to keep going 'higher and higher,' looking for that thrill, while knowing you can get slung off anytime. (i know, sounds corny).
Old 10-18-2002, 09:23 PM

Well, I've had a very fast Mustang GT, 1997. It was fun. I have had a 1978 "Smokey and the Bandit" Trans Am. Along with a 1993 convertible Trans Am and a 1997 Trans Am. The speed was fine, but it was no fun. Racing was no fun anymore. I had raced for 5 years straight and it just go old. Now, I am happy with a fast car that looks good, and that I don't have to prove my self to others about. I just want to know, why compare the S2K with other cars, not even in the same class? Don't you like our car just the way it is? I know faster is always better, but I didn't buy my car to win races, I bought it because it was fun to me. Sometimes I feel I'm the only one who feels that way about my car?
Old 10-18-2002, 09:56 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tidalwdave
[B]Well, I've had a very fast Mustang GT, 1997.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:07 PM

Quick Reply: What's the big deal about racing?