S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What would you do? (Veilside Hood) LONG

Old 11-20-2000, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased a VeilSide Hood to go with my DB Cavalleresco Body Kit (That made me happy) Upon receipt there were no visual imperfections in the fiberglass. I did find a lump in on of the corners, but I disregarded it since I know it needed to be sanded and painted by the Bodyshop (My stupid mistake).

Since I am not an expert, I did not know what would be involved. Upon the bodyshops review, they pointed out several other imperfections. They had me run my hand down and over the entire hood. There were waves in the hood, several other lumps, the hook on the hood wouldn't mate with the lock and needed to be realigned, The scoops had wire mesh the had become disludged from the fiberglass, and the sprayer holes weren't up to American specs and needed to be drilled bigger and craved to shape (I knew about the last one).

Long story short, between fixing the hook on the hood (realignment), sanding and blocking out the waves in the hood, making the Jap. spec. sprayer holes bigger, and then finally painting, spraying and blending the color on the hood, A hood that cost me $886 with shipping, will cost me slightly over a $1000 extra dollars to install

What would you do....??? I can't return it at this point because the BodyShop already started the work. The BodyShop is charging me 1.0 man hours to fix the alignment problem, 3.0 hours to sand and blockout the waves in the hood and an additional 1.0 hours to fix the sprayer holes and the wire mesh. That alone is 5 hours at $50.00 per hour!

Meanwhile, for the record the DB Cavalleresco bodykit was a superior product! (not my words, but the words of the BodyShop) The kit was so good in their opinion that it only needed minor sanding and it was ready to be painted. They made me run my hands over the different parts of the kit and the finish was THAT Different! The DB Kit was smooth and even, while the veilside was gritty, rough and wavey.

Good advice would be greatly appreciated. What should I do?
Old 11-20-2000, 08:02 AM

Call them up and see what they say if you ordered from them directly. Or talk to the importer and ask them to see what they can do.

Ask them nicely and hope that they will compensate you partially for it. Since you have already worked on the hood, there is nothing much that you can do but hope the above happens.
Old 11-20-2000, 08:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

got that digital camera? snap pictures, lots of them if you can. I'd like to write up a report and throw it up on s2ki.com regarding their quality control.

I'm not sure if they can do (or will do) anything since its already been worked on.
Old 11-20-2000, 08:45 AM

Thanks guys. I called the Bodyshop and they will be snapping pictures of the hood for my records as well as yours. I will be contacting VeilSide later this afternoon to see what ..if anything, could be done.

I wanted to also let everyone know that I order the DB Kit through MG Racing. Thanks Giampiero for always having top quality stuff!

The VeilSide hood was order through VeilSide USA directly.
Old 11-20-2000, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, sorry to hear about the set-back.
I know and actually I've seen in person of the red car dressed up with Veilside kit in Virginia. It came to one of the show at MIR.
All the kit minus the big ass wing. It looked quite good in red with white wheels.
It was 'Cartrenz' car. I don't know how to contact them but the board name (not sure) 'animeS2K' real name Chris knows about the company. You may want to contact them and ask about your problem and how they handled it. I will try to find something myself but can't promise you anything.

On the Distinto kit, yes the molding is done excellent minus some imperfection in my car. In my case many bolts were missing so I had to get them on my own. If you run into any problem installing it especially the facia, it will be small problem but if you need my assistance I will be happy to help you.
Good luck and can't wait to see your car with the complete kit.
Old 11-20-2000, 09:01 AM

Thanks Randy. I shot off a PM to animeS2K. I will keep my fingers crossed and Hope for a response.

- Mario

[This message has been edited by Power6Spd (edited November 20, 2000).]
Old 11-20-2000, 09:57 AM

I just got off the phone with Ray Fong of VeilSide USA. He is working on an mutually agreeable resolution to this problem. He is going to try to get me a refund for $250.00 dollars which is the total EXTRA labor charges incurred due to the hood imperfections.

If it works out, I just might have a new found respect for VeilSide Customer Service/Satisfaction. I will keep everyone posted.
Old 11-20-2000, 10:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent!
Old 11-27-2002, 08:46 AM

This is making me second guess going for the VS hood. LMK how things turn out.

a[e
Old 11-27-2002, 09:41 AM

Fiberglass is notorious for being a pain-in-the-ass to work with. Even if you don't see imperfections in it, a good body shop (or one that's at least worth it's salt) can point them out in a heartbeat. Then when you do the prime/sand-to-show-imperfections... you can see how far off those things actually are. It takes a lot more work to make fiberglass and carbon fiber to look as pretty as a painted steel hood, hence the people leaving the carbon fiber naked to show the weave.

Is it there for looks? Yep. Not just 'cause carbon fiber looks cool, either.