S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What is a VAFC 2?

Old 10-16-2003, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a VAFC 2?

Sorry I am new to this, but what is a VAFC 2?

I saw it in another thread but it didnt say what it was. I am assuming it's an engine management tool, but what does it do?
Old 10-16-2003, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It allows you controll the air/fuel ratio. I had one and got some good gains, but it can be a pain, if your not near a good tuner and expensive ( cost me 200 bucks to tune) Also it destoys the warrenty.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:53 PM

[size=1][b]Also it destoys the warrenty.
That just steered me away from that idea

Thanks for the info
Old 10-16-2003, 02:57 PM

Nothing can void your warranty unless that part is proven to cause the problem. I wish people would stop saying "this and that voids your warranty"

The VAFC-2 is the newest version with i-VTEC support. A normal VAFC is perfectly fine for the S2000.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:54 PM

Koala,
This is not a flame, but I am wondering what Honda dealer you work with. Myself and others have caught a boat load of crap for things as simple as a CAI. What you're saying is true, BUT most dealers will use ANY excuse to void the warrenty. If you have a VAFC and you have a problem with your tranny, then you might get away with it. ANY engine problem, and they'll blame the VAFC or better yet, they see it, think you rag the hell out of the car, and then blame "overrev". Look at Airsport and what he's gone through...... I had a VAFC, so I am speaking from personal experience as well reading several threads on the subject.
Another thing to consider RR is that everytime you mod the car i.e. add a CAI, etc you need to re-tune.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:16 PM

If you have issues with your dealer what you have to do is print off a copy of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and present it to them. It outlines in great detail how warranty works!

http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides/ftc/w...es/undermag.htm

They literally have to "prove" that the aftermarket mod caused the issue. If they can't, they have to provide warranty coverage.

Also note that dealers cannot deny any coverage whatsoever. That is a corporate issue with Honda, and has nothing to do with dealers themselves.

Three big things to remember

1) Dealers cannot void warranties. American Honda CAN.
2) American Honda would have to prove the aftermarket modifcation caused the issue
3) Aftermarket parts do not invalidate warranties.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:44 PM

ok...don't want to get into a pissing contest. I hear what you're saying, but what is SUPPOSED to happen is quite different than what really happens. The dealer denies, the DM backs him and you, the consumer get screwed. The act isn't worth the paper you waste to print it when the Honda tech says the VAFC was the cause of the engine failure. Airsport had data, proof, that he didn't overrev the engine, and they STILL denied him stating it was due to overrev.
Koala, I hear what your saying and maybe you've had good experiences, but a fair amount of people have had bad experiences with dealers and aftermarket mods. Its a lot easier to prove a CAI or header didn't cause damage than a VAFC.
I agree to disagree.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:47 PM

I understand where you're coming from. All I know is that warranty act is an American thing, and even in Canada I've had success with using it when denied warranty work.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:53 PM

Overall, Canadians are nicer than Americans
Old 10-16-2003, 07:06 PM

tenblade2001: Is that your kitty? CUTE! Is it a boy or girl?

Quick Reply: What is a VAFC 2?