S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

what turbo should i get?

Old 02-12-2004, 05:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

superchager.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can feel this turning into a Turbocharger V's Supercharger debate ..........
Old 02-12-2004, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

turbocharger done right should be fine....
always have preventive measures to make sure the 5000 investment doesnt turn into a 15000 investment...
yes i did consider to go supercharger but then people started making comment such as if superchargers are better on the track then why are almost all circuit cars use turbo.... its true the supercharger will prob have more damage since it up in the high rev range with constant parasitic drag......
turbocharger's only problem is heat.... which can be dealt with over the parasitic drag of the s/c.
turbocharger with proper tune and fuel delivery system is the best way to go
Old 02-12-2004, 11:11 AM

Yeah so I really don't want this to turn into a superchargers vs turbo thread either. Each has it's advantages and it's disadvantages, it depends upon what you want to which one is best for you. Neither system is better than the other. That said here's what I recommend.....

There are more than a few turbo guys on the board and I'm sure you'd be able to find someone to help you out. What I would do is prepare a plan. Do your homework see which turbo kit, or custom job you want to do. See how you're going to tune and manage it. How you are going to install it. How you are going to test it, i.e. start low boost and work your way up. Once you have detailed plan then ask a couple of the turbo guys if they'll look at it and make suggestions. They should be able to tell you what you missed or should consider changing. I think you'll get some good feedback and this way you should know what you are getting into before you start. Just my $0.02.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:00 PM

Just wondering, the bypass valve on the comptech, is it the same as a blowoff valve? If not could you put one on and have it sound the same as a turbo's bov? Will it blowoff when you shift?
Old 02-12-2004, 01:20 PM

CRAZYPHUD IS RIGHT...HOME WORK IS A MUST....BECAUSE THATS WHAT I'VE BEEN DOING.
FOR 300-310 RWHP YOU WILL BE JUST FINE WITH 7 PSI AND STOCK INTERNALS, ANYTHING MORE THAN 7 PSI YOU WILL BLOW YOUR MOTOR AFTER RUNNING IT HARD TWICE.I HAVE A FRIEND WHO WENT TO 9 PSI ON STOCK INTERNALS RACED ONCE AND DESTROYED HIS PISTONS....SURE ENOUGH ENDED UP RE-SLEEVING AND RE-BUILDING A MOTOR.THE KEY TO GOING MORE THAN 7 PSI IS DROPPING THE COMPRESSION ON THE MOTOR BY INSTALLING AN AFTERMARKET HEAD GASKET. HKS MAKES ONE AND CONNETIC MAKES ONE, THERE ARE ALSO OTHER BRANDS BUT THOSE ARE THE FEW OF THE TOP OF MY HEAD.IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO INSTALL HEAD STUDS AND THE ONLY COMPANY THAT MAKES THEN (THAT I'VE FOUND) IS AEBS, YOU WANT TO DO THINGS RIGHT AND YOU MIGHT AS WELL IF YOUR CHANGING THE HEAD GASKET.I AM WORKING ON PUTTING MY KIT TOGETHER RIGHT NOW, AND MY BASIC SET WILL BE A GARETT T3/T4 .60 TRIM TURBO (BALL BEARING OPTIONAL) CUSTOM SFP MANIFOLD (WWW.SFP.NET) HKS WASTEGATE AND BLOW OFF VALVE RC INJECTORS AND FOR TUNNING I WENT WITH THE A.E.M EMS (PRETTY EXPENSIVE STUFF) AND MAKE SURE TO DO A 3 INCH PIPPING ON THE KIT IT MAKES A WORLD OF A DIFFERENCE, SOME PEOPLE LIKE MYSELF HATE THE LOUDNESS BUT I WENT WITH THE HKS EXHAUST WHICH I HAD BOUGHT FROM ONE OF MY FRIENDS AND WILL NOW JUST HAVE TO MAKE IT MANDREL BENT 3 INCH. (HOPE FULLY WONT BE TOO LOUD) THERE ALL ALSO A COUPLE OF COMPANIES WHO HAVE THERE CUSTOM KITS CHECK OUT (WWW.ULTIMATE-RACING.COM WWW.SPOOL-TURBO.COM AND WWW.SPEED-CRAFT.COM) JUST TO GET AN IDEA OF WHAT YOU MIGHT BE LOOKING INTO CHECK OUT ULTIMATE RACING.COM THEY GOT A KIT THAT MADE 294 RWHP ON 7 PSI WITH INJECTORS AND A GREDDY-E-MANAGE FOR TUNNING NOT BAD IN MY OPINION, I THINK THAT WITH THE A.E.M EMS IT SHOULD DO A LITTLE OVER 300 RWHP ON 7 PSI. I WAS DEBATING ON GOING 9 PSI I WONT FEEL SAFE WITH OR WITH OUT A BETTER HEADGASKET, BUT LOOK INTO THOSE SITES AND DEFINATELY CALL AROUND GET SOME INFO ...OH AND THERE IS ALSO SOMETHING THAT IS WORKING REALLY GOOD WITH THE TURBO KITS ON THESE S2000'S ITS CALLED AQUAMIST.ITS BASICALLY METHANOL INJECTION WHICH IS A TAPPED LINE TO YOUR INTAKE PIPPING WHICH SPRAYS A MIXTURE OF ALCOHOL AND WATER THROUGH YOUR THROTTLE BODY AND IT RAISES THE OCTANE A LITTLE, BIG DIFFERENCE BUT SOME PEOPLE JUST PERFER TO RUN AV GAS WHICH IS THE CHEAPER WAY OUT. HOPE MY HOMEWORK IS OF ANY HELP TO YOU.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:05 PM

03s2kay,

what head gasket are you using??
Old 02-12-2004, 02:14 PM

I HAVENT DECIDED YET I AM STILL LOOKING INTO A BETTER ONE, COPPER HEAD GASKETS ARE THE WORST AS PER MY FRIEND WHO BLEW HIS, BUT IT ALL VARIES ON THE TUNER. BUT I LL PROPABLY GO WITH THE CONNETIC, BUT I AM STILL RESEARCHING. WHY HAVE YOU USED ANY IN PARTICULAR ?
Old 02-12-2004, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by Hobbyholic
Trust me go supercharger. Get the Comptech. I have $73,900.00 into my turbo S2000 and i just blew the motor in 2 days. I am on my 5th engine rebuild.. GO SUPERCHARGER.. And you will get the power you want..
Hobbyholic, did you ever consider that maybe you are doing something wrong and that is what is causing all these failures?
Old 02-12-2004, 03:36 PM

ANYTHING MORE THAN 5 PSI WILL BLOW YOUR MOTOR IF YOU REV IT TO 4520 RPM UNDER THE FULL MOON

Quick Reply: what turbo should i get?