S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What is it with some S2000 owners -- are they oblivious our just jerks?

Old 09-21-2002, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance has allergies so there have been a few times this allergy season when I've driven on a gorgeous day with the top up and windows closed (a/c on). Most often though, when I'm driving solo and the top is up (on a good day), it means I am driving with a singular purpose of maximizing my car's forward motion. IOW, looking to have a friendly tangle with someone. Having the top down is worth a car length to 80mph.
God, I really need to grow up.
BWHAHAHAHA
Old 09-21-2002, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think S2000 buyers fall into different categories:

A: Bought the car for its performance and looks
B: Bought the car thinking it was exclusive/image only
C: Thought they were buying a Miata
D: Mum and Dad have money, but thought a porsche was too much
E: Midlife crisis purchase
F: Other

I think those in categories B and D are the least friendly. Of course, its purely speculation. I think some people are just pissed off that they're not being seen in a Ferrari and waving to you reminds them of that fact. They don't like it that their little bubble of exclusivity is burst by you and yours.

Of course, I'm sure there are some assholes who wouldn't give you the time of day if it would save your mother, and it has nothing to do with their car buying habits.

There are 2 s2k's that I know of in my local area. There is another 2 that I know of in neighboring cities (less than 5 miles). There are probably a few more that I've never seen. When I bought the car in 2000, there were none in this area- zero, zip. It was that way until the spring of 2002 when something happened and they started popping up. And I have to admit, it made me feel a little sad that I'm not the only one trecking around here in one- but I got over that. I see a 2002 Red model (same color as mine) every 2 weeks or so. Its amazing because we seem to go to work on the same schedule and at least twice I've pulled out on a state road right behind him. What are the chances? He waves, I wave - but I know that he is thinking: "I wish his car was a different color".

-B
Old 09-21-2002, 08:29 AM

You guys might consider that sometimes the other driver just doesn't notice for one reason. I know there was AT LEAST a couple of times where my gf said "hey that guy in the other S is waving at ya" that I completely didn't notice. So I'm sure there have been times where I was driving alone and didn't notice either.
Old 09-21-2002, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by steve c
Every S2k owner I have run across at Denver auto-X's has been a total clueless asshole -- this is not an opinion that I share alone. Sad really, so many folks are interested in the car and ask friendly questions only to be given attitude.
Wow, I've yet to meet a single a-hole in Colorado driving an s2k. Every one that I've passed has flashed his/her lights, waved, or done something that meant "Hiyas!". However, I haven't been to an auto-X? event in Denver.
Old 09-21-2002, 11:49 AM

Bguernsey brought up a point that I thought of while opening up this thread. Maybe some S owners wanted a Boxster, M Roadster, or Vette, but couldn't afford it so they got our S and are ashamed of it when another owner acknowledges them.
Old 09-21-2002, 12:29 PM

I got my GS400 when they first came out. Rare sight early on. Was at the hospital visiting a friend and saw another white GS400 coming right at me. I waved but got no response. Thought to myself, "what a jerk". Ran into him at the hospital a few days later and I said, "nice car". He said, "Yeah, it's my wife's car, sorry I didn't wave back the other day. She just got diagnosed with cancer and is 5 mo pregnant. I was kinda out of it." You never know what's on the mind of the other driver sometimes. Maybe we should all cut each other some slack and gain some perspective. Just my opinion.
Old 09-21-2002, 01:48 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

No argument here.
Old 09-21-2002, 02:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

To me, buying a car like this to simply be "seen in" or tool around oblivious to other owners is as disappointing a gesture as a flatlander visiting Vermont and covering their stack of bed and breakfast pancakes with Aunt Jemima.
Just like the Mastercard commercials....Priceless.

You can't put it much better than that.
Old 09-21-2002, 03:37 PM

I've noticed "some" older owners do not like to acknowledge younger owners in general. Feels like I have "rich parents" written accross my forehead when in fact, I do make a satisfying salary for my age. Just happens to be a S2000 owner/enthusiast as well. How sad, I've always admire and respect those who are the age of parents/grandparents and like to VTEC just as much.

I mean, this is a Honda, not a Ferrari for crying out loud....

Hey Rick, what would it be like if you see another one of these turkeys with your badges all over his/her car.
Old 09-21-2002, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by tmorrow
BTW, S2K drivers who have the top up on a universally acceptable definition of a "nice" day, should be flipped the bird and not waved to.

absolutely...

Quick Reply: What is it with some S2000 owners -- are they oblivious our just jerks?